What's new

Trains In Tokyo

Flashjeff

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan
28 Dec 2003
I've always been a nut for riding trains and during my trip to Japan back in August of last year, I was in seventh heaven, riding the trains and subways of JR East, perhaps THE most efficient rail transit system in the world!

During my weeklong stay, I had no trouble whatsoever getting around, station names were bilingual, directions on how to use the ticket machines were easy and, most of all, the trains were highly efficient, modern and timely. Hell, the trains even announce station names in English! I had as much fun just riding the trains as I had sightseeing itself! 😄

And, for anyone who ever wondered about this, yes, uniformed personnel do indeed shove people into cars, packing them like sardines during rush hour. It was amazing! All in all, riding the trains was part of what made my trip to Japan enjoyable! :D

I like trains too, but getting around Tokyo can be a little daunting at first!

Attachments

• za_mappu_sm.jpg
    za_mappu_sm.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 165
Can anyone name a JR train line on that map that operates diesel locomotives? (At least it was diesel when I last rode it in 1994.)

Daunting? Perhaps. To tell you the truth, I had an easier time using the trains in Tokyo than in New York City, and I live only two hours away from there! And everything's in English!
:D

Nice try, budd, but no cigar.

Hint: The train line that runs (used to run) the diesel locomotives is to the EAST of Tokyo.

Oops! I made a boo-boo!

The train line is to the WEST of Tokyo. Hint: Think Yokota Air Base!

I didnt think they still ran diesels... they are very environmentaly friendly about that kinda stuff

It is the Hachiko Line, which runs near Yokota AIr Base. It runs very infrequently, so I guess they think that it is not cost effective to spend the money to put in the electric overhead lines.

Interesting to know. The only train trivia i know is "Whats the most expensive line in japan?" HINT: Its in Chiba-ken.

Originally posted by Buntaro
It is the Hachiko Line, which runs near Yokota AIr Base. It runs very infrequently, so I guess they think that it is not cost effective to spend the money to put in the electric overhead lines.

Named after me! :devilish: But then again, who am I to say; I'm just a user. :p

I know the most expensive line (which is in Chiba-ken) is NOT the JR Narita line or Keisei line. Am I right fellas? That these two are wrong?
👏

Back
Top Bottom