What's new

Traineeship in Japan

Chipi

Yancha
10 Mar 2003
I'm studying at a polytechnic school, in the field of clothing (designing,manufacturing,marketing ect.etc,). In our programme we should do a traineeship, in different clothing companies, doing different kinds of jobs (for example as an assistant to some designers).
Now I'm thinking about doing my traineeship abroad, and of course, I'm dreaming of getting a chance to do this in Japan. I'd like to work in an company that's originally finnish/scandinavian/european, but has an export office or something like that in Japan.
(for the reason that I could start working for the company before I actually go to Japan, that way I could get to know the company before entering the japanese work life).

Now I read the topic about american women and japanese men, and the subject about japanese working hours. I've known for sometime the working culture in Japan, and in my way I really respect that. one of the reasons is, that I don't think I'd be able to do the same, I would snap, have a nervous breakdown or something...for real. I think I'm devoted to my job,and I do it well, but テ really could _not_ sleep for just a few hours in a night and work literally, the whole day.
Now,my question is, does the japanese working culture also concern on foreign trainees? Does anyone have some experience as a trainee in Japan? I'd really need some facts,and information, because I should apply to some companies this autumn/wintern... A Big Thanks! :)

a while back i asked some friends and they said yes
so ask someone else
good luck

As long as your language abilities are good enough .. you will be treated no different to any other traniee. Oh ! you want to design clothes in japan? better get learning some engrish then!

If you are working for a foreign owned and managed office in Japan, you will probably have a less hectic life than if you worked for a Japanese company. Also, it is often the lowest ranking workers that stay the latest and put in the most overtime. After all, to be pomoted you have to prove to be a dedicated worker, right? To many Japanese companies that means no personal time for yourself and lots of extra duties. You also have to pretend that you like it. Just research which company you want to train with. They should be able to give you the names of a few people who went through their program and who you can ask what work was like. Good luck.

First to Salaryman -->
Heh, I speak,read and write engrish quite well I think, for a non-english person...so I think I should learn more japanese than english? :)
I'm not aiming to _design_ clothes necessarily, but for example to do some visual marketing, clothing export or something like that. And to see the world, learn life.

Originally posted by Mandylion
If you are working for a foreign owned and managed office in Japan, you will probably have a less hectic life than if you worked for a Japanese company.
Well that's basicly what I had in my mind. An office that would have some "action" here in Finland (and Helsinki) would be great, because then I could start my training all ready here in Finland,and that way really get to know the company.

Also, it is often the lowest ranking workers that stay the latest and put in the most overtime. After all, to be pomoted you have to prove to be a dedicated worker, right? To many Japanese companies that means no personal time for yourself and lots of extra duties. You also have to pretend that you like it. [/B]

Yup, but I'm not complaining. I'm ready to do it, but I am a little bit afraid if my health is good enough.. Well,anyway, I'm thinking of staying there for 3 months, so that's not so long. Somehow I get the feeling of everyone's replys that people somehow doubt my abilities and if I'm ready for this etc, and well,that doesn't feel so nice.. I'm going to try anyway,no matter what you guys think ;)
I just talked with my tutor today,e-mailed the japanese embassy here in Finland ect, so at least I've made a start to this project.

Just research which company you want to train with. They should be able to give you the names of a few people who went through their program and who you can ask what work was like. Good luck. [/B]

That's my first task. I have a couple of companies in mind, but I'd like to search for some more places..and in that I hope the embassy can help me.

..But now it's time to go to the movies, Fear and Trembling ;)

Salaryman's comment was about engrish, a strange form of English that appears on clothes and other items here. It is just English words put on stuff in no real order and with little attention to meaning. I don't think he was attacking your English skills.

As for the tone people are taking with your questions, I think they are being realistic and not calling into question your motivations or abilities (I wished you luck if you recall). I think you have a good idea and enough drive to see it through, but when you ask people's opinions, you are bound to get some tough answers. The comment about Japanese skills is standard. You need to know Japanese to get by here, just like you would need to know Russian in Russia and Chinese in China. People often skip on the language study because it takes time and not nearly as fun as day dreaming about your new life in Japan.

I, nor the other posts, assume you are slacking in your studies, but sometimes it helps to be shown the obvious again. You also call into question your own physical capabilities, and my post was an attempt to give you an idea of what you would be up against.

Again, no one here wishes you ill. I think you have a great idea and I wish you the best in seeing it through.

Originally posted by Mandylion
Salaryman's comment was about engrish, a strange form of English that appears on clothes and other items here. It is just English words put on stuff in no real order and with little attention to meaning. I don't think he was attacking your English skills.
Oh ok,I know what you mean...and I apologize for my mistake :)

As for the tone people are taking with your questions, I think they are being realistic and not calling into question your motivations or abilities (I wished you luck if you recall). I think you have a good idea and enough drive to see it through, but when you ask people's opinions, you are bound to get some tough answers. The comment about Japanese skills is standard. You need to know Japanese to get by here, just like you would need to know Russian in Russia and Chinese in China. People often skip on the language study because it takes time and not nearly as fun as day dreaming about your new life in Japan. [/B]
I realize that very well that I _should_ know japanese to get by in Japan, but there are some facts here:

-I don't have the chances to learn japanese through my school,there's little opportunities to attend to courses on my free-time(Helsinki is a small city,and there aren't that many places that teach japanese.It's difficult to find a course that i could go to,and not skip school.),and the time is running...so,I Know that if I learn something,it's going to be just basics.
---> That's exactly why I'm looking for a trainee place in a Finnish/English/American etc.firm,that has an office in Japan, so that I could use english at work. That's why I'm making this inquiry,to find such places...
--->What doesn't actually _kill_ you,isn't that bad.
--->I'd be in Japan for 3 months.Only.That's not a very long period, so that's also one of the reasons why I think I'll survive.
--->One girl from my school stayed 3 months in North-Korea, and she sure didn't speak korean...she was an assistant to a designer.

I, nor the other posts, assume you are slacking in your studies, but sometimes it helps to be shown the obvious again. You also call into question your own physical capabilities, and my post was an attempt to give you an idea of what you would be up against. [/B]
Oh,Mandylion,I hope you're not too upset about my last post. I didn't mean to be rude to anyone, I just felt a bit depressed because I got the feeling of people thinking me of just some light-headed scandinavian girl having too big dreams,and not realizing the real world...
I am trying to learn something every day from the japanese society. That's why I'm a member here,that's why I have a japanese pen pal, that's why I watch documentaries about japanese life...every aspects of it. I am aware of the toughness I'd have to encounter with this challenge, I think I really do,and that's why i'd want to make something out of this.I know that the 3 months could very well be the hardest time in my life,and at the same time I'm scared of it,and waiting for it passionately.It's a challenge,for me.
I'm asking about the traineeship, so I'd get new information,new facts, good and _bad_ ones, so that I could prepare myself better, and make the final decisions whether to really do this.

Again, no one here wishes you ill. I think you have a great idea and I wish you the best in seeing it through. [/B]
Thank you Mandylion.
Maybe I reacted with too much force, and I apologize. I'm just used to that, that people tend to ridicule my goals and dreams for different reasons.So i felt disappointed when I got that feeling again.
But I'll see what I can make out of this traineeship-project...and if I'm in Japan next summer,I wish I could see as many of the j-ref people there as possible, You too Mandylion.Really. :)

Thanks for the post. Yes, it is tricky to understand mood/intent when only looking at words, not talking to someone in person. Sometimes things can get out of hand (I'm guilty of this too on occassion).

Let us know if you get to Japan! : - )

:D Haha, I'm back at this topic. I just thought of sharing my happiness (that's hard to control), since my trip to Japan is starting to become true more and more...Just had some very positive e-mails, so now I actually just have to figure out all the financial stuff, visa, etc. I shouldn't say it's 100% sure still, but ...my dream could actually, really, come true. Unbelievable.(!!!)

Now, I'd upreciate even more help. Even though nothing is yet on paper, I should calculate how much money do I need to cover up normal life expences, for my school and for myself too, of course. For this I need some fact information that I can't really find in any travel books etc.

So, if you live in Japan or in Kyoto area:
-How much money would I need for food /eating per day/week/month, if I'd eat "average" priced food/in average priced restaurants? Nothing luxurious.Average, normal. Suitable for students :)
-Any tips how to find decent but nice priced accommodation for 3 months? How much would it cost (average price for example?)?
-How much does public transportation cost? I believe I should go to work from 3 to 5 days a week, and my accommodation might be somewhere else than near the centre of Kyoto (where my traineeship place would be).
-If you live in Kyoto, if you go to clubs etc, know the nightlife, etc. how much money do you spend for an evening?
...etc.etc.Whatever comes to your mind.Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

Back
Top Bottom