What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tokyo Weekender

Anohito

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Back when I was stationed in Japan, I looked at several copies of the Tokyo Weekender, but soon discarded it as a source of information about Tokyo in favor of other sources (such as Tourist Companion). What I called the "Weekender crowd" seemed to be quite cliqueish, people who spent a lot of time writing about the parties they gave for each other and who did not really like living in Japan. Perhaps some of them spoke Japanese quite well, but they struck me as the sort of people who had lived in Japan for some years, but only knew enough Japanese to keep a taxicab pointed in the right direction to get where they lived.

Well, I just took a look at the web site, and things still do not look good. For example, on the Restaurant Guide page, below where it says "Click on a link below for a selection of restaurants", if you look at the types of restaurants listed, one type of glaringly obvious by its absence. There is no "Japanese" category! In Tokyo!

Can anybody who lives in Japan provide any information about the "Weekender crowd"? I realize I may be offending someone who would not miss an issue of Tokyo Weekender, but it really does strike me as a publication for Westerners living in Japan who do not like Japan.

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
If you think someone is living in Japan and doens't like it, why would they have any credibility? As such, why would you want to read their writings? I understand there's a handful of cases where people are legitimately trapped (maybe a messed up marriage but they want to be w/ their kid, etc) but that's about it.

Anohito

No Longer Active
Reaction score
If you think someone is living in Japan and doens't like it, why would they have any credibility? As such, why would you want to read their writings? I understand there's a handful of cases where people are legitimately trapped (maybe a messed up marriage but they want to be w/ their kid, etc) but that's about it.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same impression I did. I do not read the web site regularly, but I did look at it to see if the publication was the way it used to be when I was stationed in Japan.

There is another class of people who are, in effect, living in a country they do not like. It is a class of people with which I have had considerable experience--people in the military! Sometimes their dislike can amount to little more than "Eww! this place is full of furriners!" (meaning the local people).

Alma

nature's sweet success
Reaction score
:?
so... you are saying that anyone who lives in Japan have to like it? otherwise, they must be forced to live there? I have no idea about this weekender, but does people really have to like and write (or speak) only about good things, and how life is great in Japan. don't get me wrong, I hope it is great 😊

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
so... you are saying that anyone who lives in Japan have to like it?

I'm saying people should have enough common sense to only live someplace they like. Why on Earth would you live someplace that makes you miserable? (Communist countries set aside)

Military people would be exempt from this. They are allowed to hate it, but of course, need to realize that's part of being in the military: being forced to do something you don't want to.

Alma

nature's sweet success
Reaction score
I'm saying people should have enough common sense to only live someplace they like. Why on Earth would you live someplace that makes you miserable? (Communist countries set aside)

do you really believe it is really so easy just to move in other country if you do not like where you live now?
:?
I'm glad if that works for you, but not for most people, unfortunately.

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
do you really believe it is really so easy just to move in other country if you do not like where you live now?

Uh... very? We're not talking about people that don't like their own country. We're talking about immigrants. People living in Japan (and from the sounds of it, those that are pretty well of) by their own choice. In almost every case, they can pack up their gear and go home on a moments notice.

Alma

nature's sweet success
Reaction score
sorry, I got distracted and way of the topic. just mentioning moving from country to country gets me.. can't find proper word... let say annoyed... or frustrated maybe would be better.

🙇‍♂️ gomen

let's get back to the ''Tokyo weekender''

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
Moving down the street isn't fun. Moving abroad is hell.

frostyg02uk

先輩
Reaction score
Haha. alot of people go to Japan but its hard to find ones enjoying it because basically...if your having fun who the hell thinks ill stop to write about it. But others have nothing better to do then complain. Even for the army IMO to complain about you country such as Japan or say germany is a disgrace when others are dying in Iraq. Considering almost everyone in japan, gaijin wise needs a VISA there fore needs a degree it means they choose to move to Japan. Many refugees complain about england and the weather and it makes me wonder that since a refugee has to stop at the first safe country (unless your from scotland or wales that ISNT england) and england is known for the weather why do they come in the first place. Japan is more of less the same no one at all is Forced to go to Japan never mind stay there.

Anohito

No Longer Active
Reaction score
Well, it seems that either nobody actually knows anything about the Tokyo Weekender or those who do know something don't want to say anything.

Based on some comments here, it would be possible to start a thread on sado-masochism as an integral element of military life. That wouldn't really have anything to do with Japan, though (although plenty of threads in Chit-Chat do not have anything to do with Japan).

Top Bottom