What's new

Tokyo or Kyoto

Inopinans

後輩
14 Dec 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I hope this is not the wrong place for the post.

Well, a while ago I decided that I will attend Japanese Classes in on of the Japanese parter Universities of my University (in Berlin, Germany) for about 12 months starting next year in autumn.
The thing is, I am allowed to choose between Universities in Tokyo and Kyoto . As I have never been to Japan and I don't know so much about the two cities, I wondered if you could help me out.
I am quite interested in concerts and night life and I know Tokyo has more to offer in this respect. At the same time, I have to admit I am abit scared of such a big city (compared to Berlin which can be called metropolis but has only about 3,5 mil inhabitants) and I don't know if Tokyo will maybe be too much for someone who has never been to Japan before?

So, my question is: How international is Kyoto? How's the nightlife over there? Will I be bored staying for a year in Kyoto?

Also, very important for me: I am gay - so I wondered how distinctive the gay culture in Kyoto is and/or if being gay is accepted at all. If there's someone who know's anything about that I'd be happy about any comment.

Thanks so much!

Inopinans

For concerts and nightlife, I'd expect Tokyo to offer more.

But Kyoto would be the place to go if you're more interested in traditional Japanese culture.

I would say Kyoto. If you ever wanted to experience Tokyo and get some big city night life or catch a concert that Kyoto might not have, then you can always hop on the train and visit. I don't know much about how accepted being gay is in Japan but I would imagine it's more accepted in Tokyo then Kyoto, solely based on the fact that Tokyo is more international then Kyoto and gets more of a "mixed" flow of people...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I hope this is not the wrong place for the post.

Well, a while ago I decided that I will attend Japanese Classes in on of the Japanese parter Universities of my University (in Berlin, Germany) for about 12 months starting next year in autumn.
The thing is, I am allowed to choose between Universities in Tokyo and Kyoto. As I have never been to Japan and I don't know so much about the two cities, I wondered if you could help me out.
I am quite interested in concerts and night life and I know Tokyo has more to offer in this respect. At the same time, I have to admit I am abit scared of such a big city (compared to Berlin which can be called metropolis but has only about 3,5 mil inhabitants) and I don't know if Tokyo will maybe be too much for someone who has never been to Japan before?

So, my question is: How international is Kyoto? How's the nightlife over there? Will I be bored staying for a year in Kyoto?

Also, very important for me: I am gay - so I wondered how distinctive the gay culture in Kyoto is and/or if being gay is accepted at all. If there's someone who know's anything about that I'd be happy about any comment.

Thanks so much!

Inopinans
Lived in Kyoto for 4 years, Tokyo for 5 so I would say Kyoto any day because you are not that far away from craziness if you want it in Osaka. You get to chill out in one of the most beautiful cities in Japan and its not that small.
I worked with a few gay people in Kyoto and it seemed to be fine for them.

Back
Top Bottom