What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tokyo or Bust!

TimF

Sempai
Joined
2 Jul 2004
Messages
437
Reaction score
31
I have been thinking about moving to Tokyo, Japan but the problem is I dont know alot about the laws and customs there I heard 250,000yen+ was a good paying job but I have no idea what that means the reason I want to go there is because I want to "live" it is a deep emotional thing and I like everthing that comes out of Japan. So if anyone can help me on anything about Japan i would appreaciate it alot. Thanks.
 

Mandylion

Omnipotence personified
Contributor
Joined
15 Mar 2003
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
44
Hello TimF and welcome to JREF :)

To start what skills do you have? The Immigration Office is going to be very interested in what kind of eduction you have. Your profile says you are 18 and want to move to Japan, but if you have a four year college degree, it will be much easier to get a visa and find a job. The market here is pretty tight, so unless you sign up with a organization that doesn't require a college degree, the better educated you can be the better.

In college you can study even more about Japan and open up many more doors (exchange student) and get access to more resources for your trip. Then, if you decide you don't want to go to Japan, you have a college degree to help you find a good job. I know 4 years seems like a long time, but college can be some of the best years of your life. If you don't like it, you can always quit and be no worse off than before.

Also, if you haven't studied Japanese, I would put that at the top of the list.

Also come to Japan as a tourist or, better yet, an exchange student first. Spend some time in Japan before you get your hopes set on moving. There is a lot to love about Japan (as you seem to know) but there is also things that make this very much less than a Utopia. You will either confirm that you want to make a life here, or have a chance to pull out if you decide this is not for you.

You dream is possible and you can make it come true. But give yourself time to learn and think about what you want to do - and never give up!
 

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Joined
8 Dec 2003
Messages
827
Reaction score
15
Hi Tim and welcome.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish in coming to Japan. It's not easy at first sometimes but then again once you get settled down then you might never leave. After all, that was about 10 years ago for me :D
 

ferrariboy

Hi everyone!
Joined
2 Jul 2004
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
250,000yen+? You gotta be kidding me! You wouldn't survive on that... especially if you're thinking of the Kanto region and Tokyo... but I can sympathize why you wanna be there. It's a nice place to be, but beware, the stress of working there is unlike anything you will experience. They don't have the highest suicide rates in the world for nothing.
 

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Joined
8 Dec 2003
Messages
827
Reaction score
15
ferrariboy said:
250,000yen+? You gotta be kidding me! You wouldn't survive on that... especially if you're thinking of the Kanto region and Tokyo... but I can sympathize why you wanna be there. It's a nice place to be, but beware, the stress of working there is unlike anything you will experience. They don't have the highest suicide rates in the world for nothing.

Well, you could for a month or two but it would be a hard life. 😌
 

Ewok85

先輩
Joined
14 Nov 2003
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
44
I survived on 7000 a week. Its not hard, you just need to adjust your life accordingly.
 

den4

先輩
Joined
15 Nov 2002
Messages
1,799
Reaction score
63
Mandylion's suggestion is a good way to start off with. Also, if you have the opportunity to live in the Tokyo area, perhaps as an exchange student, you will have a "clearer" view of things than from a tourist's vision....but working in Tokyo is far from pleasant. Unless you enjoy crowds.
The summers are hot, the winters can be cold (no central heating). 250,000 yen is pretty low, but manageable, if you don't mind avoiding most luxury things, like going out drinking, watching movies in theaters, living in the Tokyo area (most likely you'll be living out in the suburbs of Kawasaki, Yokohama, Chiba or some other outskirt area....with an hour's commute to whatever jobsite you're planning to work for (unless you get lucky). Without a 4 year degree, most places will not accept you, but the job visas have gotten easier to get than when I was there....
But, regardless of how much advice you read about here, the best solution is to get yourself over there and see it for yourself. Every person's view of Tokyo is different. Some love it...some hate it....some are indifferent...you'll need to make your own observations....but understand that whatever you do in Japan, it will cost money.... :D
 

TimF

Sempai
Joined
2 Jul 2004
Messages
437
Reaction score
31
What would be a good wage for me to live comfortably? And how much is rent inTokyo?
 

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Joined
8 Dec 2003
Messages
827
Reaction score
15
TimF said:
What would be a good wage for me to live comfortably? And how much is rent inTokyo?

I always say about $3000 dollars or 30,0000 yen is a basic start but comfortably would be a thousand or more on top of that.

Rent really varies but it gets higher the closer to the middle of Tokyo you get.
 

TimF

Sempai
Joined
2 Jul 2004
Messages
437
Reaction score
31
What would be a decent paying job? (enough for anyone to live comfortably with not finanical worries) Also when someone says a number like 300,000yen is that a month or a year because I am confused about the curency all I know 1 Dollar equals almost 108 yen? What is the best part of Tokyo for me to live in? Sorry for all of the questions but this is stuff I have just been wondering about for along time.Thanks.
 

Elizabeth

先輩
Joined
22 Apr 2003
Messages
9,525
Reaction score
131
おそらく仕事がないと思います。
家賃も食べ物も、アメリカよりずっと高いです。
本当に大変です。お勧めできません。


Until you can understand these and without a university degree or having any connections, I'm sorry to say along with everyone else there is virtually no chance of being able to find a job of any kind, much less a comfortable one.
 

TimF

Sempai
Joined
2 Jul 2004
Messages
437
Reaction score
31
Elizabeth said:
おそらく仕事がないと思います。
家賃も食べ物も、アメリカよりずっと高いです。
本当に大変です。お勧めできません。


Until you can understand these and without a university degree or having any connections, I'm sorry to say along with everyone else there is virtually no chance of being able to find a job of any kind, much less a comfortable one.

Well I do not plan on moving over there tomorrow I just want some background info first so that I have a better understanding of what I am up against.
 

den4

先輩
Joined
15 Nov 2002
Messages
1,799
Reaction score
63
Ah, but Elizabeth is right...most companies won't give you the time of day unless you have a college degree, and they won't accept you unless you have some measure of understanding nihongo. Best start learning it, with the understanding that you won't truly know how good you understand it until you start living there... :D
 

Arc Light

Home...For now...
Joined
21 Jun 2004
Messages
113
Reaction score
4
Suggestion: hit up your local (genuine and authentic) Sushi Bistro, become a regular, (It helps to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm looking for a Japanese girlfriend" in Kanji) and get to know everyone there. That way, when you're ready to go to Japan, they'll set you up with their family!

at least it's working for me... :D
 

jaxfu

Kouhai
Joined
24 Jun 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Arc Light said:
Suggestion: hit up your local (genuine and authentic) Sushi Bistro, become a regular, (It helps to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm looking for a Japanese girlfriend" in Kanji) and get to know everyone there. That way, when you're ready to go to Japan, they'll set you up with their family!

at least it's working for me... :D


Tell me, what do Japanese people really think of gaijin wearing those kinds of shirts? Sure, maybe at a party, but I would be embarrassed to wear one in public. Or do I just have no sence of humor?
 

budd

先輩
Joined
10 Jul 2003
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
18
some like it and some [most] don't get the joke and think it's for real.
pretty much applies to any of the [japn lang] shirts on that site [imo].
if the japanese person is living in america (or abroad), they probably will just laugh...
but one or two guys (in japan) will get real upset and want to fight
hope that was enough info
 

jaxfu

Kouhai
Joined
24 Jun 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
budd said:
some like it and some [most] don't get the joke and think it's for real.
pretty much applies to any of the [japn lang] shirts on that site [imo].
if the japanese person is living in america (or abroad), they probably will just laugh...
but one or two guys (in japan) will get real upset and want to fight
hope that was enough info

Fight? Wow, not good. I suppose there are certain groups (rednecks) in the US who would not like it if you wore a shirt that said "Looking for [ethnic group] girl/boy friend.

Are english expression shirts common? - I saw in an anime a girl wearing a t-shirt that said "for girls" and some other chars wearing shirts with odd letter combos on them. Of course that is anime and not real life.

I think I will get a friend of mine the "looking for japanese boyfriend" shirt. Of course I won窶冲 tell him it says that :)
 

Elizabeth

先輩
Joined
22 Apr 2003
Messages
9,525
Reaction score
131
Arc Light said:
Suggestion: hit up your local (genuine and authentic) Sushi Bistro, become a regular, (It helps to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm looking for a Japanese girlfriend" in Kanji) and get to know everyone there. That way, when you're ready to go to Japan, they'll set you up with their family!

at least it's working for me... :D
What does it say exactly ? Unless it's something really crude like 恋人募集中' I don't necessarily see the harm.... 👍
 

Arc Light

Home...For now...
Joined
21 Jun 2004
Messages
113
Reaction score
4
Actually, I rarely wear that shirt. It's now a conversation peice at the restaurant, and when I wear it (which is by request), the new Japanese customers really get a kick out of it, and it helps to break the ice and eliminate shyness. (There's a Japanese-owned synthetic paper plant, YUPO, nearby)

And translated it means "Now accepting applications for Japanese girlfriends." But that's what I've read...I can't read it.

The attached image is what's on the shirt. Check out www.jlist.com
 
Last edited:

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Joined
8 Dec 2003
Messages
827
Reaction score
15
Arc Light said:
Actually, I rarely wear that shirt. It's now a conversation peice at the restaurant, and when I wear it (which is by request), the new Japanese customers really get a kick out of it, and it helps to break the ice and eliminate shyness. (There's a Japanese-owned synthetic paper plant, YUPO, nearby)

And translated it means "Now accepting applications for Japanese girlfriends." But that's what I've read...I can't read it.

The attached image is what's on the shirt. Check out www.jlist.com

That's pretty funny but I still wouldn't wear it though. :D
 

jaxfu

Kouhai
Joined
24 Jun 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Tim F:

I think it has been stated already, but one can not simply go live in Japan and be able to work without the proper level of education required by law. It is not like the US where one can simply arive and become self supporting rather easily if you have a skill or are willing to do manual labor. (are there many undocumented workers in Japan? In the US it is huge)

You should visit first. Try and save up about $3,000 and go for a week or two and do some traveling around. You will not have the stress of worring about work and will be able to meet and interact with many people and be able to go home and reflect on your visit while in school.
 

DoctorP

先輩
Joined
3 Jun 2004
Messages
1,983
Reaction score
92
jaxfu said:
Tim F:

I think it has been stated already, but one can not simply go live in Japan and be able to work without the proper level of education required by law. It is not like the US where one can simply arive and become self supporting rather easily if you have a skill or are willing to do manual labor. (are there many undocumented workers in Japan? In the US it is huge)

Most of the undocumented workers are from Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc...and work on farms. Very menial labor and they don't pay well at all. The people working there get room and board and usually send whatever money they make back home to their families. I don't think that as an American you would want to live/work like that. It is no way to see Japan! My mother-in-law made friends with one Thai lady who used to work like that then took her into her home. She lived with her for about 4 years before the lady was deported.

TimF Best bet is like the others said, come over as an exchange student or finish your degree first. Even most of the construction workers here have formal schooling. Not like the states where if you have a strong back you can walk on a site and get a job! :) In Japan everyone doesn't necessarily have a degree, but after junior high school if they attend high school, it is to learn a particular trade, not just general curriculum.
 

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Joined
8 Dec 2003
Messages
827
Reaction score
15
Yeah, I would recommend a visit first, especially if you haven't been. Sometimes people get obsessed with Japan then get disappointed after they get here or have a hard time if they weren't prepared.
 
Top Bottom