What's new

Tokyo in January

Chris K

先輩
28 Dec 2006
PLanning a trip to Tokyo with a cousin of mine. Being a car nut he's going in January for the autosalon show.
Just wondering what the weather is like in January and anything else particular to the time of year thats of interest.
I hear theres a sumo competition in January, anyone know the dates and likelyhood of getting tickets

A quick google search reveals a helpful guide.

When to travel

And I quote...

"New Year is one of Japan's three major travel seasons with intensive domestic and international travel activity. Most businesses and companies shut down from January 1 to 3. Read more about visiting Japan during New Year.

The remainder of January is a great time for visiting Japan, as the weather is usually sunny and dry, airfares are low and sightseeing spots are not crowded. Only in northern Japan and along the Sea of Japan coast, there is lots of snowfall, and conditions are good for winter sports. "

thanks for that, ill probs go end of jan so avoid the new years rush (would like to catch the celebrations one day though).
Being dry is good news, i dont mind the cold as long as it's dry.

oh, and while ive got a thread open, how long does the trip from tokyo to kyoto take by train?? ive got a friend over there i wouldn't mind popping in to visit. Is it a viable daytrip??

Its about a 2 hour and 45 minute trip via shinkansen. Easily a day trip if you just want to visit a friend.

But Kyoto is really worth staying in for a few days, so much to see and experience! 👍

yeah, one day Im planning to for a bit longer and with the family. Definately going to take in more traditional and rural japan if that ever materialises. But for now its bright lights, big city :D

Shinkansen's are going to cost you some cash, unless you get an unreserved seat - that'll be cheaper, but be prepared to move if you're in someone's seat. I took local trains, and while it was longer, wasn't bad at all especially if you are traveling with someone. The cost is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

+1 on the not going during New Years - you can go, but everything really does shut down during that time, especially ATM's for foreign cards. I got stuck in Hiroshima during that time, and if it wasn't for a SUPER understanding hostel, I wouldn't have had any cash (they charged me extra for the room, and gave me cash back).

Back
Top Bottom