What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Tokushoudesu

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
When using tokushoudesu, does that mean its like a feature of something. Like, Chinese sauces are sweet and spicy?

I'm using an English keyboard, sorry about not using katakana. It's confusing if you are using an English keyboard and computer.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I only use English keyboards so that's no excuse. ;)

Anyway, you mean tokuchou ( 特徴 ) which means "(distinguishing) characteristic." So, yes, you can use it in that way. "A characteristic of Chinese sauces are that they are sweet and spicy." See various examples here.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I only use English keyboards so that's no excuse. ;)

Anyway, you mean tokuchou ( 特徴 ) which means "(distinguishing) characteristic." So, yes, you can use it in that way. "A characteristic of Chinese sauces are that they are sweet and spicy." See various examples here.
Thank you.
I have the MS Japanese IME, but it doesn't work like a Japanese keyboard. Have to learn where every katana is. I don't like it, but I bought an American made computer since it was real cheap. A Lenovo.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Thank you.
I have the MS Japanese IME, but it doesn't work like a Japanese keyboard. Have to learn where every katana is. I don't like it, but I bought an American made computer since it was real cheap. A Lenovo.
You should try it in the mode where you type the latin letters. So there's no need to remember where the kana are. You just type T and A then you get た for example.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
You should try it in the mode where you type the latin letters. So there's no need to remember where the kana are. You just type T and A then you get た for example.
And as a trivia bit, it's worth pointing out that this (i.e. romaji input) is even how the majority of Japanese natives type in Japan. In all my years at my previous company, for example, I only saw one co-worker who swore by the kana input method. (And ironically, he was one of the slowest and worst typists I've ever seen, taking forever to type simple things and constantly making typos--though this is hardly the fault of the input method.)

On smartphones and the like, people mostly use a kana flick system that's very, very efficient for Japanese input.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
OK I try that now.
how do I find "mode" I tried everything, but doesn't work

mdchachi

Reaction score
Right click on the IME icon and you should see something like the below. Set Kana Input to OFF and then select Hiragana to be able to type with the QWERTY keyboard.

1628211278301.png

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
さかな
OK, thanks, wow unbelievable , you got a good and sharing heart for people like me, I mean it. I could never figure this out.
ありがとう

mdchachi

Reaction score
Yay! I'm glad you could find it and start using the romaji input method that 99% of people use.

I didn't even know that kana input option was there until you said you were stuck in it.

Top Bottom