What's new

Tobacco ruling makes Japan laughingstock

den4

先輩
15 Nov 2002

"Be careful about smoking too much."

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20031023wo32.htm :D

Shocking, but when government has a stake in tobbacco doing well, it becomes just another issue.
Here in Minnesota, and I'm sure other states, we're told everyday in some way that smoking is bad. The state is aggressively trying to ban it in public places AND bars and restaurants, and their not stopping there! Peoples homes are next because of children!
The funny thing is that after all of this they are raising cigarette taxes every year to balance the state budget, thereby hoping people smoke enough to send more money to the capital.

Makes me sick!!
But I digress.

Japan sure is a laughing stock on this issue, it makes me sick.

"Be careful about smoking too much." ? What kind of a warning is that?

The attitudes here are really appaling. Friends of ours have a 2 year old who they think nothing about smoking right in front of. They are probably chopping a few years off of her lifespan and they either don't know or don't care about it. I feel like jamming their cigarettes into their eyes every time I see them doing it, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I notice that most of the comments here are from US posters.

Two facts:

Japanese people have one the longest, if not *the* longest lifespan of any nation in the world.

Americans think nothing of feeding their kids with high sugar, high fat, genetically modified garbage, but then we wouldn't dare to preach our moral values to you, like you do to the rest of the world. I guess obesity and heart disease don't count though.

Keep on eating those fries.

Tiger

personally i agree with the ruling. suing cigarette companies for getting cancer is like suing a gun manufacturer because you shot yourself in the foot. each induvidual has the choice to smoke or not to smoke, just becuase its addictive doesnt mean that they cant choose not to smoke anymore. if someone gets ill becuase of their lifestyle choices then thats their problem, people need to take some responsiblity. just because they are ignorant doesnt mean its someone elses fault.

My peeve is that it seems like a lot of Japanese people I know don't even know why smoking is bad. A Japanese friend of mine smoked the entire time she was pregnant because she couldn't understand why she shouldn't--even after I told her. She wouldn't take prenatal vitamins because "we are not supposed to swallow pill when pregnant", but she would smoke a pack of cigarettes per day. That's what irritated me.

Her baby came out weighing 3lbs. 6ozs. and had a heart defect that cost her 3 surgeries by the time she was 18 months old. I don't think the smoking had anything to do with her baby's condition, but it sure didn't help. And now, she still smokes like crazy around her daughter--who still has a fragile heart(still in need of more surgery) and has asthma on top of that--because her mom just can't understand why smoking is bad for you. If you can't understand why it's bad for you, then just keep on doing it.

Originally posted by Tiger
Japanese people have one the longest, if not *the* longest lifespan of any nation in the world.

So that means they're immune from the dangers of smoking cigarettes? If the smoking rate continues it might start to eat away at those lifespan figures little by little...

it doesnt take a scientist to figure out that its not healthy, since after youve smoked for abit you get short of breath when doing anything physical, and/or you start hacking up bits of your lungs every morning.

Last edited:
I notice that most of the comments here are from US posters.

Two facts:

Although from what I undestand most of this is actually accounted for by their very low rate of infant mortality (birth control, small families, etc) compared to the US. When that is factored out, American women actually live longer on average than Japanese women and for men it is about the same. Their diet also leads to certain other types of cancer not seen as much in the West, plus the smoking, stressful lifestyle, etc. :eek:

Sorry, but your information is wrong:

Japanese life expectancy:

total population: 80.93 years
male: 77.63 years
female: 84.41 years

U.S. life expectancy:

total population: 77.14 years
male: 74.37 years
female: 80.05 years

The figures for infant mortality are a totally separate statistic.

Source: CIA World Factbook 2003, Last Updated: August 1, 2003.

Tiger

Of course there are going to be statistics for both life expectancy and infant mortality. That doesn't have any bearing on whether infants that die are also averaged into life expectancy data. Otherwise "life expectancy at birth" is somewhat of a misnomer and would more accurately refer to those who survive past a certain threshold, such as 5 years.

uuurgggh yeah I hate being around so many smokers in Japan, it's so rude how many smoke right in your face. I moved seats in a cafe today to get away from a table of five smoking like chimneys.....

Tiger, as regards the attitude to smoking, Japan certainly has a problem compared to other countries, you have to admit that I think.
but - I totally agree with you about diet. Japanese traditional (not ramen etc) is absolutely healthy. Sticking to a strict Japanese diet is helping me recover from CFS , also I lost 6kg -(yay!) Western countries feed us so much junk, I think we would be horrified to actually find out what's in processed food.

Elizabeth, Japan does have the oldest people in world though... Here in Kagoshima is the oldest woman - 114 years old. She sleeps for 2 days and is awake for 2 days. She had her birthday recently, but unfortunately it fell on one of her sleeping days hehe

Nzueda - I don't disagree with you in terms of the number of smokers. Japan has a very high number of smokers when compared to many other western countries. However, the Japanese way is also to let people do what they want, and not interfere in other peoples affairs. Pretty much everyone these days knows that smoking is bad for you. Therefore if 1 in 2 men in Japan wants to smoke - it's their choice - they know the risks and if they want to risk their health then it's up to them.

I think also it's worth mentioning that if you look at a number of reports coming out recently from the United Nations and the European Community, you'll actually find that the whole "passive smoking" (or second-hand smoke) issue was actually created by the anti-smoking lobby and Governments that are trying to cut the level of smoking in their populations. In fact when the evidence is truly looked at, passive smoking actually carries a very very low risk indeed.

I'm sure that a bunch of people will try and jump on me (especially Californians) and claim I'm putting forward propaganda or inaccurate information. But before you do this, don't just go on "commonly held beliefs" or "what you've heard". Go and actually check out some of the recent scientific studies and you'll see that in fact the passive smoking carries a hugely lower risk than politicians and others would have you believe. In fact the fumes from your car are probably more harmful.

Tiger

"However, the Japanese way is also to let people do what they want, and not interfere in other peoples affairs"
i agree imo, except that passive smoking isn't harmful
i've been an asthmatic since i was five, but i am a raver/clubhed (so that's a choice i made--now that i have access to the music i want, i don't go out as much)
i was saying that i was surprised to see that Japan has litigious peoples as well :(
i've always seen mostly americans/westerners/foreigners crying/whining over there --but that may be because i understand english somewhat though

I just have to agree with Tiger.

You were right on the money. People, think about it.......there are other harmful products out there besides cigarettes. Somehow, we are stuck on that issue......who are we helping politically/ financially when we battle the tobacco companies...???

"conspiracy"

......and everyone is rolling with the punches. Let's all quit criticizing each other and do the right things for our family.

However, the Japanese way is also to let people do what they want, and not interfere in other peoples affairs. Tiger

I'm not going to speak to your other facts about second-hand smoke since I haven't had time to look at the data yet. But back to my point, even if secondhand smoke is not bad for you-

I fail to see the logic in this when it comes to smoking. If everyone in Japan ran with this principle, smokers couldn't smoke because by doing so they would be bothering other people, and the non-smokers couldn't make the men in my office who smoke do it outside because it would be a pain in the rear. Society would be locked in stalemate.

Fact is I have been in situations like Nzueda mentioned and there is nothing you can do about it short of leaving the situation because it is rude to ask. Never mind if it is rude to be smoking in the first place...

Fact is people in Japan cajole and force people to do all sorts of things, they just might not do it in a way people from the west would see as overt. Right now, smokers are winning the cajole-ing battle.

I tend to agree with the opinion that smokers who sue cigarette companies are irresponsible and refuse to face the consequences of their own choices. But the arguments cited in the article betray some delusional positions in Japan. They shouldn't defend their smoking policies based on discredited notions like "nicotine in cigarettes was only mildly addictive and therefore it was possible for smokers to quit if they wanted to or made the effort to". That's really not helping your cause.

I would have said YES, cigarettes are harmful and addictive. But everybody knows that. Nobody could possibly say they smoke because they think it's healthy.

Finally, it gets a bit sticky when things like National Insurance come into play. Bottom line, tax dollars have to pay for these illnesses, and that's what the lawsuits in the US were about. I'm not sure where that goes, but I at least can regard it with some sympathy, unlike the individual lawsuits which make me want to laugh in somebody's face.

edit: quotation marks "Elizabeth, Japan does have the oldest people in world though... Here in Kagoshima is the oldest woman - 114 years old. She sleeps for 2 days and is awake for 2 days. She had her birthday recently, but unfortunately it fell on one of her sleeping days hehe"
just a link
may she rest in peace...

Back
Top Bottom