What's new

'to' vs '-te'

navaburo

Registered
27 Jan 2014
Hi All,
I'm not quite seeing the difference between 'to' used as a phrase particle and a phrase in the '-te' form.
For example, is there a difference between the following?
(A) 夜になると、とても暗かった。
(B) 夜になって、とても暗かった。
I would translate both as "It became night and it was very dark."
'to' and '-te' both seem to give the meaning of 'and' to glue the phrases together. What am I missing?
Does 'to' imply 'when'?
Thanks,
Chris

(B) describes a past event. The -te form just shows that the two events occurs successively. Whereas ~と is a conditional clause. "Aと、B" is often used in a situation where B generally/naturally occurs after A or in a repetitive situation such like a custom. Thus, (a) is more close to "when", as you guessed, and has a nuance of an explanation about a place.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you once again Toritoribe.

I now see how (A) is much more appropriate for describing a place where "at night it would get very dark" rather than describing an event where "at night it got very dark".

If I'm wrong please correct me, but have you written these sentences by your own?
Because if I'm not entirely mistaken, using the past tense at the end does not sound entirely correct (or at least natural).
My advice would be, either to use the same grammar as you:

a)夜になると、とても暗い・暗くなる
b)夜になって、とても暗くなった

Or change the grammar in the first part

a)夜になってからとても暗かった
b)夜になったらとても暗かった

Where から would translate to "since" in English, and たら形 marks past tense.

The problem in the second sentence is that you need an indicator of change on both sides of the て.
It would then translate to something along:
"It became very dark when evening fell." (literally "when it became evening" but that doesn't sound right. You'll often have that problem with translating Japanese.)

This is a bit more than you were asking for, but I hope it was of some use to you! If you don't understand, just let me know

Er, you seem to be entirely mistaken, I'm afraid. ~たら doesn't refer to the past tense. It's conditional. For instance, 雨が降ったら明日の試合は中止だ is future. And I don't agree with "using the past tense at the end does not sound entirely correct (or at least natural)", either. See the following examples.

夜になると私たちはちゃぶ台をカーテン代わりに使っていました。
もう、うつむかない 証言・ハンセン病 村上絢子著

これは建物が古く、夜になるとダニが襲ってきた。
異質の光 糸賀一雄の魂と思想 高谷清著

そのためこの二日間、夜になると鈴木の住むアパートの部屋の電話は鳴りっぱなしだった。
女と男の肩書 藤堂志津子著

夜になると、列車はひどく冷えた。
楽園の鳥 カルカッタ幻想曲 寮美千子著

トマスは、夜になると、甚右衛門の小屋で過ごすことが多くなっていた。
聖なる癩者 天草島原燃ゆ 市川和広著

地下牢につづく長いろうかは、夜になるともっとおどろおどろしかった。
大蛇ヒスフィットと海竜の入り江 サンドラ・フォレスター著 篠原レイコ訳

高山の頂きは夜になるとセーターを着ていても寒かった。
時の扉 辻邦生著

風は夜になると、嵐になっていた。
道元 水嶋元著

夜になると、屋敷までお供した。
ダイヤモンドと火打ち石 ホセ・マリア・アルゲダス著 杉山晃訳

夜になると、時おり彼は青い風景のなかを旋回する鳥人間たちの群れを訪れた。
アルト・ソロ アントワーヌ・ヴォロディーヌ著 塚本昌則訳

夜になると、灰の山や家々の焼け跡の上で犬が吠えた。
クオ・ワディス シェンキェーヴィチ著 木村彰一訳

夜になると、五郎を家の中に入れて、伝染を防いだ。
犬バカものがたり 近藤啓太郎著

夏とはいえ夜になると海上は寒かった。
夏のロケット 川端裕人著

そして夜になると、激しい覚醒がやってきた。
TVピープル 村上春樹著

夜になると、きょうりゅうは、そうこでねむりました。
きょうりゅうが図書館にやってきた A.フォーサイス著 熊谷鉱司訳

そして夜になると、家の中を徘徊しました。
リボーン 生まれかわった日 香月美里著

While I was entirely wrong with the たら (apologies for that) and couldn't possibly try to counter-argue on the correctness of your quotes, I think it's a question of what level of Japanese you're trying to explain.

I just checked my old books for reference, and they clearly state that 2) 「と」の形 ふうつう形の現在形 (短期集中初級日本語文法総まとめ ポイント20).

So while I now see that you can use the past tense, in more advance literature and writing, when explaining Japanese to someone at a more basic level I think it to be more appropriate to simply just stick to the basics. Of course, my book may be wrong, but then I think there's a bigger problem at hand.

The examples other than novels or essays were excluded from the search results in my previous post, in order to ensure the reliability of the sources. Here's other examples in Yahoo!知恵袋 and Yahoo! Blog.

朝起きた時と、夜になると毎日右手の中指と薬指が伸ば しにくくなっていたのですが今日は夕方まで伸びてくれませんでした。
Yahoo!知恵袋/健康、美容とファッション/健康、病気、ダイエット 2005
中指と薬指がまっすぐ伸びないのですが、何故でしょう か? 朝起きた時と、夜になる... - Yahoo!知恵袋

近くの公園でちょっとした工事があって、中に電気の入 ったカラーコーンが並べられて、夜になると点灯してとても綺麗でした 。
Yahoo!知恵袋/教養と学問、サイエンス/動物、植物、ペット 2005
猫は夜中に会合をしてるのですか? 彼氏(実家)は猫を5匹飼ってます。 先日、彼... - Yahoo!知恵袋

おまけに、夜になると薄いドアを2枚隔てた隣の部屋に 、赤ちゃん連れの夫婦が帰ってきた。
Yahoo!ブログ 2008
ヒロへの旅 Ⅲ ナニロア・ボルケーノ・ホテル - ほんのちょっぴりスピリチュアルなハワイ暮らし - Yahoo!ブログ

友だちが止めるのもきかずに、夜になると家から出て行 ったのです。
Yahoo!ブログ 2008
島根県の民話 - ひさしのブログ! - Yahoo!ブログ

その人は、笑いが心の病に効くということを知っていた のかもしれませんね。毎日、夜になると、笑って、笑っ て、笑って…。いつも時の経つのを忘れていました。
Yahoo!ブログ 2008

ランタンも夜になると綺麗でした~
Yahoo!ブログ 2013
2月19日 - ☆たいせい日記☆おおきくなぁれ♪ - Yahoo!ブログ

夜になると寒かったですね。
Yahoo!ブログ 2013
2013年4月28日(日)信州徘徊~ず単車倶楽部 お花見ツーリング - 人生はThe Long And Winding Road - Yahoo!ブログ

As you can see, the past form is quite commonly used in the main clause to express the past habit (some of the examples I quoted are 継起, though) not only in more advance literature. I do recommend to check your textbook again. Isn't it talking about the form preceding と?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom