What's new

Tip in certain foreign country

Part of it is certainly cultural. In a nation like the U.S., politeness is not so strong a social more like it is in Japan. While there are advantages to this, there are also drawbacks, like being treated like absolute crap if you have a service-industry job (like a server at a restraunt). While this doesn't give the server the right or ability to perform poor service, he/she may provide adequate and nothing more. Tipping shows appreciation for service and encourages better service in the future.

It is a two-way relationship. If they perform excellent service (i.e. drinks are always full, helpful, friendly attitude, etc.) and you tip them well, they will want to serve you again. This is how you can make friends with bartenders and waiters/waitresses. Making friends will also earn you perks, such as the occasional free drink or free appetizer.

It isn't easy for me to visit places where there is no tipping. For me, it is a way to show appreciation. I want to tip good service, not because it is an insult, but because I want the server to feel appreciated and encourage them to keep working hard. Indeed, in some places, a good server can earn much, much, much more through tips than they could at some other jobs. Good bartenders and waiters/waitresses can bring home a few hundred dollars a night Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in a college/university town. We even have tip jars next to cash registers to tip workers at coffee shops and other stores, so you can drop your spare coins there if you don't need them or don't want them jangling in your pocket.

hutchi said:
regardless if it is common practice i find it arrogant to expect a tip. if it is an incentive to do well in your job then i do not think that people who do fail in their duties should expect tips form their patrons.
They shouldn't, and they usually don't get one.

i mean no offence to any one by this next comment, but i think this practice underlines the arrogance on the yanks, if the boss thinks that he can pay their workers so little and expect the best people for the job then they are mistaken, and then those who are working and offer a substandard service to expect a 10% tip on top of the bill.
Wow, we are being mightily culturally relative today aren't we? </sarcasm>

The practice of tipping means we can pay $5.00 for a sandwich instead of $10.00. It's that simple. Instead of giving money to the boss, who then plays middle-man, we give it directly to the server, and they end up getting more money that way, especially if they are good. And thanks for calling me arrogant. Have a nice day.

It's interesting how tips are used. Even in Japan, people will sometimes tip. For example at a ryokan, my wife normally tips the maid who comes in and sets up your futon and often might alo set up dinner for you. She leaves a tip on the last day.

She once gave a tip to a taxi driver. It was like this, I went above at a temple with my parents, and my wife said she was going to drive up and meet us there o my parents didn't have to walk back. Unfortunately, I left my cellphone in the rental car. For some reason, my wife had a problem unlocking the steering column, so she couldn't start the car. Finally I returned, and my wife had called the rental car company and asked a taxi driver to try and help her. She gave 1000 yen to the taxi driver for his help (which turned out to be not much help)!

I gave one tug on the steering wheel, the steering column was unlocked, and the car started right up.

Last edited:
I tipped a cabbie in Japan once. My friend was wasted and throwing up into a bag behind the driver the whole half-hour ride home. I had to force the tip into her hand, and rationalized it as payment for the bag.

Back
Top Bottom