What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

This train will stop at every station _ Tokyo.

round

Kouhai
Reaction score
Which is the best for the blank of this sentence?
All can be used?
Any difference?

This train will stop at every station _ Tokyo.

1, from
2, after
3, beyond
or any others?

mdchachi

Reaction score
To me, they seem equivalent in meaning. Well I guess you could say "from" is inclusive of Tokyo and "after" and "beyond" are not. But in this particular example I would assume the train stops at Tokyo also. I can't think of any others offhand.

round

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your comment.
I wanted to know how a native speaker would feel.

ianchan

Kouhai
Reaction score
Personally i think that after seems the most natural. From and beyond seem like they need more info whereas if you say after it just seems more clear for some reason.

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
I can't wrap my head around actually hearing 1 used.

The others sound fine, though 2 sounds most likely. 1 just sounds wrong when I say it aloud.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I can't wrap my head around actually hearing 1 used.

The others sound fine, though 2 sounds most likely. 1 just sounds wrong when I say it aloud.
I think it's most natural if you add a to <somewhere> phrase. Like this train will stop at every station from Tokyo to the end of the line. But if you consider the to-clause is implied, I still think it's ok. There's an example on this page: North White Plains is the end for some trains stopping at every station from GCT.

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
I think it's most natural if you add a to <somewhere> phrase. Like this train will stop at every station from Tokyo to the end of the line. But if you consider the to-clause is implied, I still think it's ok. There's an example on this page: North White Plains is the end for some trains stopping at every station from GCT.
I agree that with the to-clause it works, but I don't think it sounds right without explicitly saying the to-clause. It certainly sounds more Japanese with the to-clause implied. :D

Top Bottom