What's new

this fuss between japan and china

MajideSaiaku

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai
19 Jan 2005
..over a silly textbook.

in my opinion japan should just accept its history, and get over it, not the first country in the world to make mistakes and not the last, and risking whats iread is around 100billion worth of trade in china from japan over a textbook is knid of stupid on so many levels in so many ways.

so yeah, japan should just accept its history, apologise, and move on.

but discuss, please =).

Yes, a silly little book, but wars have started over such a thing (e.g., Mein Kampf).
I think the greater issue is that this whole debate centers around Japan's desire to be a permanent member of the UN Security Council. In one of the speeches, the Japanese Ambassador stated that Japan is confident that it will/could/would/ play a significant role as a partner/key figure in the stability of the Asian region (I'm looking for his speech right now, so please bear with me for the paraphrase). China, HK, and S. Korea are pointing to the textbooks as an example of how the region cannot trust Japan to "do the right thing." They, of course, are escalating their fears by imagining what would happen if Japan does gain Membership. It could (theoretically) shift the balance of power (China and S. Korea's relatively recent rise in economic power threatens Japan's dominance in Asia) back squarely to Japan.

I fully agree that Japan needs to take more responsibility for its past. What bothers me though is the utter hipocrisy of the Chinese government complaining about Japan ignoring its past. Chinese texts don't mention the millions killed during the cultural revolution. The protests for democracy in the late 1980s? No Chinese would dare talk about that. Don't even get me started on Tibet or Taiwan.

This is not an attempt to excuse Japan's past, but at least Japan has learned from its mistakes.

odd that a constitutionally pacifist nation would want a perminant seat on the UN security council...

We should have all the other countries join in then, like England. England did far worse around the world than Japan ever did and I never learned many bad things in school, I learned them from people who aren't English.

America ever apologise for dropping two MASSIVE bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as experiments?

Concentration Camps, invented by the English in Africa. Did we ever apologise to the Afrikaaners?

Did Sue Ellen apologise for shooting JR?

U.S force had droped down 2 nuclear bomb in the japaness cities that is just for saving Asia people from evil Japaness troops. i think united states no need to apologize to Japan for the attacts.

FireyRei said:
America ever apologise for dropping two MASSIVE bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as experiments?

JR?

That, at least, was the only workable way the Japanese millitarists could be awakened to their foolishness and desperation, if i don't want to bother collecting information to convince you of how Japan deserved the two massive bombs.

It's good, any way, that Japan still remembers those two atomic bombs. Do Japanese history textbooks mention that? You can just choose to gloss over it as well. Who cares?

Shibuyaexpat said:
Yes, a silly little book, but wars have started over such a thing (e.g., Mein Kampf).
I think the greater issue is that this whole debate centers around Japan's desire to be a permanent member of the UN Security Council. In one of the speeches, the Japanese Ambassador stated that Japan is confident that it will/could/would/ play a significant role as a partner/key figure in the stability of the Asian region (I'm looking for his speech right now, so please bear with me for the paraphrase). China, HK, and S. Korea are pointing to the textbooks as an example of how the region cannot trust Japan to "do the right thing." They, of course, are escalating their fears by imagining what would happen if Japan does gain Membership. It could (theoretically) shift the balance of power (China and S. Korea's relatively recent rise in economic power threatens Japan's dominance in Asia) back squarely to Japan.

Is it still the cold war era?

Any country, as long as it wants to, can apply for its UNSC permanent membership. And it's good that Japan is willing to undertake greater international responsibilities by assuming more important international roles. But the question here is "Does Japan have the morality to undertake international responsibilities even though it claims it is willing to?"

Shiiii---The Japanese are not in the position to answer.

It's not just WW2. .What has Japan done to Asia throughout history? Can we boldly speculate that we are having a different new Japan? Asians know better.

Back
Top Bottom