What's new

things NOT to do in Japan

Childishly inappropriate behaviour has infected Japan's political elite, as Junichiro Koizumi, the Prime Minister, revealed when he lectured a group of young MPs last year. ツ"Don't send e-mails on your cell phones or read comic books in parliament while in session,ツ" he told them. ツ"You can be seen very clearly from the Prime Minister's seat. You should really stop that ツ― it's disgraceful.ツ"

Oh those crazy Japanese MPs.

Japanese in such situations face yet another problem. While it is not true that the Japanese language has no swear words, standards of vituperation are certainly lower than in English. Even the word commonly used to mean ツ"you bastardツ" — kisama — is simply an impolite way of saying ツ"youツ".

The worst that one can do in daily speech would be Shine bakayaro!, which means little more than ツ"Drop dead, you idiot!ツ" Such is the dearth of salty invective that angry Japanese turn increasingly to a reliable English expression, pronounced the Japanese way: Fakkyuu.
Great, Japanese rebels. Now I can swear at other drivers in Japanese.
"Kisama, kisama, baka!" :p

Apart from putting on their make-up at stations, young Japanese have adopted such ツ"vicesツ" as swinging umbrellas, eating in public and crossing their legs on the subway. While these are minor sins elsewhere, in Japan they are being taken with the utmost seriousness.

That proves it, I am doomed! :( I love swing umbrellas and holding them like I am a master of the lost sword arts! :samurai: I eat in public all the time (mouth closed of course) 🍜 . I often cross my legs when I am wearing a dress... I mean geez! The only rule I have not broken yet is putting on make up in public, unless public application of lipsmackers gloss is going to have me arrested? :eek:Gosh, I am screwed. :mad: 😭 *notices that crying has gotten worse*

The eating/drinking in public thing is rapidly being abandoned by Japan's youth. It's a rare day I don't see somebody tooling down the sidewalk in the morning, breakfast in hand, happily munching away.

mikecash said:
The eating/drinking in public thing is rapidly being abandoned by Japan's youth. It's a rare day I don't see somebody tooling down the sidewalk in the morning, breakfast in hand, happily munching away.

Funny thing:LOL: I think in Japan is going everything so fast.They don't even have time for breakfast.... 😌

Take the list of offences compiled by the Tokyo authorities, which includes using strong perfume, carrying large bags, kissing, infants, crying, sitting on the floor and, most unexpectedly, using an umbrella to practise golf swings.
Infants are not welcome here, even though you may not be crying ! No wonder population is declining. Who'd want all that negativity ? :(

Morfos said:
Kisama most be the most beautiful profanity word I ever heard. 😍

:eek: You are being sarcastic I hope because Shine bakayaro is sooo cooler. *laughs under breath* 😊

Morfos said:
Kisama most be the most beautiful profanity word I ever heard. 😍

Oddly, the word 'kisama' is 窶ケM窶罵 in Kanji.
When viewed in Kanji, the meaning is actually quite good:

窶ケM: precious; value; prize; esteem; honor
窶罵: honorific version of "san" (mr. or ms.)

So literally it mean something like "exalted one!"

I guess it obtains its value from the obvious sarcasm?

:)

Another term used is "Teme-" which literraly means something like "This thing standing before me" and translates to something like "Why, you..."

Back
Top Bottom