What's new

There isn't a forum for this

K

kohlrak

Kanji and Kana don't show up on most american computers. Now, i happen to still have my windows disk. Not everyone has that luxury anymore... Does anyone know a work around to get the encodings to those who cannot use my windows disk, nor have lost their own?

That says for office xp... Does that have a home edition version? Or does that work with home edition too?

I think it just adds the required files for viewing Japanese text. I honestly can't say I know if it will give you what your looking for IE. But it's a start I guess.

What i'm looking for is the encoding files... Basically the files that require the windows disk to instal. But it says it's for office xp, so i don't know if it'll work for my purpose considering i'm looking for a home xp version since that's what most use. I can't find a home xp version so i need some one without the files to test one who has home edition. I'll find some one, though.

What do you want to do?

a. Type in Japanese on the Internet.
b. Type in Japanese in Microsoft Office documents.
c. Read Japanese on your current Internet browser.

OR

d. Trying to hack the encoding files, and interpret the coding language.

You'll surprise me if you answer "d."

Last edited:
Actually, i can do all those fine. What i'm trying to do is get those who don't have the japanese encoding (on home edition of xp) to get it, so they don't have mojibake issues.

Too many people in america see squares!

I'm trying to find a fix for users with windows xp home editon, since that link says office, i don't know for sure that it'll work and i havn't found anyone to test it on.

You want the japanese language setup files for windows xp home edition? I assume you want the encoding files for Internet Explorer for XP?

- http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#E4
That's the IME for Windows XP.

I'm sure there's some Japanese language package for IE.
Give me a second to find it.

Hmm. You need the files. Ok. Give me a moment.

Maybe you'll check out computerforums.org if I can't give an answer. I don't know the microsoft website too well. And I don't know if they'll have the files available.

Alright, thanks... I don't know, though, if that'll include files to view japanese in UTF (8 bit unicode) files, but i don't even know for sure if you need to install encoding for them... I pretty much installed the encoding from my windows disk as soon as i found out about encoding issues... lol (Computers should come standard with all 0 to 65535 chars... and this ANSI crap... uuuuuuugh.... I don't even know what the point in that was...

Now to find some one with mojibake issues and see if they're willing to test it for me... I think i will eventually find one during the school year who'll test it for me.

The office xp download might be the right thing. This seems like an age-old typo problem from long ago. But I think the "Office" is suppose to be "Windows."

Update: it is for office XP

Last edited:
I'll test it. Afterwards, I'll ask a moderator or admin to start stickying the IME language install threads. This question shouldn't be rising in the year 2006. I think I started using Jref back in 2003.

But how will you test it since you already have the files needed on your computer...?

Well, we'll have this problem again starting next year when people loose their Windows Vista disks... Vista comes out January.

Test didn't work. I did find this article, however: I don't have installation media for Windows. What if I need it? - Ask Leo!

How about this: LangTech - Display Japanese characters in your browser | Japan Forum

I didn't need the XP CD for installing the language files. However, I looked in the i386 folder and noticed what looked like language files there.

I suppose if you get a CD-R and burn the i386 folder to it, then you'll be able to have that disc as the setup disc. That's the theory, I assume. The language files are in the "LANG" folder. So, if the computer asks for the Win XP setup CD, then you might want to try having the i386 burned to a cd, and, then use that CD.

The language files seem to work just fine with my computer. Then again, I have a DVD of Win XP which is a system restore CD. I assume the i386 method ought to work. I haven't kept up in computer science nor methods.

I'll probably move to Fedora Core 5 before I use Vista. I still need to figure out the bcm43xx cutter thing.

Last edited:
That's interesting... and I386 makes me think "Intel Pentium 3 of the x86 processor series." lol That was random, though... but this is interesting indeed...

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#E4
Click OK or Apply.
You will prompted to insert the Windows CD-ROM or point to a network location where the files are located.
After the files are installed, you must restart your computer.
To remove the language files, clear the check box beside the applicable collection, and then click OK or Apply.
You may be able to point toward the I386 folder itself. Perhaps you'll have to be more direct and point toward the LANG folder.
Typically Windows will search through a whole folder and its subfolders to look for something. It usually does that when looking for drivers.

Hmmmmm... That is most intresting indeed... So, i don't think copying files to the folder will do, but if you take all the files out of the folder, and burn it onto a disk, you basically have your windows disk... Providing those who lost their disk never got their HD "wiped." I hate it when people do that...

Back
Top Bottom