Their quality/qualities of life/lives, the quality of their life/lives

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
Which of these could be used?
(a) Their quality of life was improved.
(b) Their quality of lives was improved.
(c) Their qualities of life were improved.
(d) Their qualities of lives were improved.
(e) The quality of their life was improved.
(f) The quality of their life was improved.
(g) The quality of their lifves was improved.
(h) The qualities of their life were improved.
(i) The qualities of their lives were improved.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

"Quality of life" is a common term which is almost never modified even if it would be linguistically valid to do so; A is, realistically speaking, the only one that is commonly used.

That said: E/F (these two are identical) and G are also valid (ignoring the spelling error in G). Other than A, E/F, and G, the rest are invalid. "Quality", in the sense that you are using it, is never used plurally.

One other note, E/F is employing the use of the singular "they". That's a whole other can of worms; what the singular "they" can be used for is hotly contested, so I would recommend beginner learners as English as a second language to avoid it.

Last edited:
Oops! I made a lot of mistakes. Sorry.
Thanks for the help, Julimaruchan.

"Quality", in the sense that you are using it, is never used plurally.

According to dictionaries, the word "quality" can be countable or uncountable. But I'm not sure in which case it can be countable. Would you give me an example sentence with "qualities" ?

According to dictionaries, the word "quality" can be countable or uncountable. But I'm not sure in which case it can be countable. Would you give me an example sentence with "qualities" ?

The political candidate had a lot of the qualities needed to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom