What's new

The word "kara"

Arishi

F'ing rawkstaw, beeatch!
6 Oct 2003
All right, I'm a little confused on this one, I thought I had a fairly good grasp of "Kara", meaning time or space or whatever. However, in listening to a few of my favorite songs, and reading the translations, I'm completely thrown off again. Could someone possibly take the liberty to explain to me what's going on in these lines?

"kegare nado nai mama... kimi no subete o ubatteageru kara"
"So that you can be untainted... I'll take it all away from you..."

"nigerare wa shinai kara... kimi no subete o yurushiteageru kara..."
"Don't run away... I'll forgive you for everything..."

boku ga itsumademo kimi no koto wasurenai kara
I'll never forget about you

wasurenai kara...
Like you did back then...

Any help is much appreciated - there are more instances of the use of "Kara", but I just chose a few. Thanks so much in advance!

So I can claim ignorance latter; songs are tricky. Sometimes people take liberty with grammar rules so things lyrically work right. Also, English phrases in the jacket cover might be a lineor two after they appear in the song, simply because the grammar structure of English and Japanese is not often parallel. Also, if you are trying to express a mood through translation, whole phrases might go out the window (or added). Otherwise the translation becomes really bulky or too vague. Songs are a good way to study, but be ready for the tricks of the trade.

I think you are asking about the kara as in いま から (ima kara) "from now?" Yes, that is one usage. Kara can also mean (roughly) in addition to, also, because etc. and can be placed not directly after the phrase it modifies (remember, songs often break the rules).

Without knowing the context or what came before your third example, I would translate it as "Because I'll never forget about you"

Your fourth sentence is "Because (subject of the stanza, possibly "I") can't forget."

I'm sure Elizabeth or Nangi will find this thread soon, and they can solve all your problems
:)

You've already helped considerably - maybe I didn't provide enough information, but if I go over the translations again, it may make better sense now.

If any other information could be provided, it's still much appreciated.

Thanks, Mandylion!

Originally posted by Arishi
"nigerare wa shinai kara... kimi no subete o yurushiteageru kara..."
"Don't run away... I'll forgive you for everything..."

And I'd say these two are more accurately: "Because you cannot escape/run away....because I will forgive you everything (or permit you anything?).

"kegare nado nai mama... kimi no subete o ubatteageru kara"
"So that you can be untainted... I'll take it all away from you..."
Can "mama" also have the sense of "so that" or "in order to?" I would just have read "Remaining untainted or unblemished....because I will take your all, or your everything."

Last edited:
Japanese Is Complicated !!

My book for Japanese particles shows 13 meanings for KARA depending on what's in front or behind it ! WOW !

Frank

Although I think the main three are "from" (coming after a time or person/place), "after" (immediately following the "te" form of a verb), and "because/since."

Back
Top Bottom