What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

The Water Margin

Horace Rumpole

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day, I loved to watch 'The Water Margin' on late night television in the UK (I think it was shown on BBC 2). I've tried trawling the web to see if DVDs of the series are available but all I can find are random episodes that are copies from VHS. Is this series available on DVD?

Another (sort of) related question. The Water Margin's other title was 'Outlaws of the Marsh' and I believe was originally a Chinese story, translated into Japanese by Renzaburō Shibata. But there seems to be a cultural thing about those who live on the fringes of society such as petty criminals, living in or around wetlands. Kobayashi's dark and wonderful film 'Inochi Bo Ni Furo - badly translated as Inn of Evil in English - is another example of the theme. In England too, back in the late 17th and early 18th centuries, the wetlands were regarded as the abode of evil-doers as well as ghosts and malevolent spirits and in some places, this superstition carries on to the present day. Can anyone shed any light on this from a Japanese point of view?

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
Are you trying to say that in Japan and the UK the only place where criminals and evil spirits abide is wetlands?

Top Bottom