What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

The Tv station that NHK provides here in the US is.

CW Sato

後輩
Reaction score
I have Dish Tv, and with it, chanell, 641, NHK's J Tv.

It's almost like their version of PBS or something , it stinks. Anyone know of any other J-Tv stations?

jeisan

Kongming
Reaction score
thats all you can get in japanese from dish netowrk they have alot more varity for chinese and even several stations in hindi but only one japanese station. im sure theres a way to get more maybe off a different service. i know my roomates parents get about 5 korean channels on their tv somehow. you might wanna ask dish if theres anything else they have thats not in their normal program guide or if they know another way you can get it. another option may be to ask someone who has an asian programming package.

Erik

Sempai
Reaction score
I'm not sure how american TV stations get broadcasted, but there is one in Hawaii that's quite cool... I like KIKU... Seems to have lots of good programming compared to TV-Japan in canada. Although I hear is plagued with massive amounts of commercials.

wan pak hin

Kouhai
Reaction score
you americans and canadians should count yourself super lucky! as when before i moved to here (tokyo) i lived in london and the only way to get asian channels was to get SKY which is kind of like DIRECT tv or timewarner cable or something like that! and as i am chinese and so is my family at times we just wanted to watch a chinese channel and well their was only 2 chinese channels out of like 600 channels, and 1 of them which was CCTV if my memory is correct, and it was broadcasting it's programs in english! and the other which was PHONIX TV and that was broadcasted mainly in mandarin so only my mum and dad could understand it, so in the end i decided to get a program called CTUBE!! it is an internet t.v thing and i could get many japanese, chinese, korean and even taiwanese channels, (sky did not have any other far eastern channels apart from the 2 i mentioned) sky had so many indian, middle eastern channels that are well.. same channel but with different variation like... hmm.. what the channel called ohh.. ZEE TV then you would get ZEE TV 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.., so really you are lucky to get the asian channels you can! when all the people living in england are lucky to get even a chinese channel let alone a japanese one! but now i live in tokyo i do not really worry about what to watch on tv as i have many chinese,korean and of course japanese, and i even get FOX and ESPN here on my BS BOX :)

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
I also have Dish Network and get TV Japan. There are some good programs that come on. My favorites are TV Champion and Tsurube no Kazokuni Kanpai, but there are other interesting shows on there as well, such as Tameshite Gatten, NHK Specials, samurai dramas, and Nihon-jin no Shitsumon. They also have good kids' programs too, like Okaasan to Issho and Inai Inai Baa.

To me, it's interesting. I don't think it stinks. Of course, if you're looking for anime and the likes, you won't find it there, unless you count Nintama Rantaro.

Erik

Sempai
Reaction score
Originally posted by kirei_na_me
I also have Dish Network and get TV Japan. There are some good programs that come on. My favorites are TV Champion and Tsurube no Kazokuni Kanpai, but there are other interesting shows on there as well, such as Tameshite Gatten, NHK Specials, samurai dramas, and Nihon-jin no Shitsumon. They also have good kids' programs too, like Okaasan to Issho and Inai Inai Baa.

To me, it's interesting. I don't think it stinks. Of course, if you're looking for anime and the likes, you won't find it there, unless you count Nintama Rantaro.

Nah... anime is usually not very interesting to me... I prefer programs like SOKO GA SHIRITAI and AMAKARA CAFE (sp?)... as for dramas... GTO has it's moments... but not much interested in the other stuff. I once saw a cool program where a woman travelled from town to town with a bunch of small monkey's and she would count "ichi, ni, san...etcetc..." while the monkey's would dance in sequence while she counted and whipped them =D

budd

先輩
Reaction score
i saw a thirty minute segment on shabu-shabu land while over there
america has no counterpart (fortunately)

jspecdan

Sempai
Reaction score
i think occasionally Fuji TV airs stuff in NYC on cable. Too bad it was weekdays 10:30pm-11:30pm. Dunno, they probably still air. The cable channels have been changed few times since I last saw anything.

Hanada Tattsu

Kouhai
Reaction score
Well, here in California, you can order TV Japan from Time Warner Cable. It airs mostly NHK programming, but it also airs some Fuji TV and occasionally (once in a very blue moon) TV Tokyo programming.

We also get KSCI TV here, which is more of an International Channel, but on Saturday and Sunday nights (it used to air on Friday nights too, but the Koreans stole the night :/) it airs Japanese progamming, mostly Fuji TV and UTB Programming, and occasionally TV NHK and TV Tokyo.

Another International Channel airs some Japanese programming, but I don't watch that channel, but I know they show anime and dramas, and it may be Fuji Programming only.

Top Bottom