What's new

The Passion of Christ

neptunemoon

Crazy Kitty Girl "Meow"
3 Nov 2003
I would have thought there would have been a thread on this movie or maybe there is and I didnt see it. If so then I am sorry to the moderators. Well I must say I am not a religious person. I am more into the asian religions. It turns out for english class I had to watch this movie the passion of christ and I have to do a reasearch paper on it. Its a weird paper too. Like I can go anywhere with it like will this be the downfall of gibson's career, is the movie antisemitic, compare it to violent movies, etc. When I saw this movie I had so say I was touched. It was very violent but I am used to that though some parts I had to cringe. I did not find the movie antisemetic at all. I mean everyone in the movie is a jew even jesus. That might be the only bible movie that I truely enjoyed. I wanted to cry. I had heard that a woman had a heartattack while watching it. I wonder if this made anyone more religous. Well just looking for your opinions on the movie.

One Thing For Sure....

Mel will come out of it with a pocket full of money! I'm not sure I want to see someone suffer so violently on big screen and suround sound?

Frank

I cant seperate my opinion from the film with the actual religious figure.

I love Mel Gibson, so obviously I support him with the film, but I hate Jesus Christ, so I cant give a proper evaluation of it.

A Good Carpenter Is So Hard To Find !!

He definately got his name in the history of our world; but the hard way for sure!

Frank

All I know is that I'm getting so sick of hearing about it. Every channel, every day, there it is. I'm sick of hearing about Jerry Falwell buying up every theater around here so that all his congregation and all of his students can see it. This is the Bible Belt, after all... :mad:

I would elaborate further, but I haven't seen it and nor will I see it. So, that doesn't qualify me to say anything else about it.

one of my buddist friends and her sister went to see it last night, she told me it made her feel sorry for jesus and her older sister cry several times.
on another note ive also heard tale of people walking out on the film.
i havent seen it yet so no real vote from me.

Here's a good article and critique of this film:

I窶况e just returned from watching Mel Gibson窶冱 The Passion of the Christ. I don窶冲 want to lose the freshness of it, so as I write this, I窶冦 about half an hour removed from the theater.

I窶况e not set down to write a film review. I窶冦 not going to make arguments on what Gibson did right and what he did wrong. Rather, I seek to tell the truth.

American Daily

kirei_na_me said:
All I know is that I'm getting so sick of hearing about it. Every channel, every day, there it is.

Here is Japan, never heard of it once. As it is not destined to a Japanese audience, it probably won't show up at all in the cinema. If they do, they'll lose money. Lords of the Ring, yes, Jesus Christ, no !

This said, personally, I'd like to have a glance just to see how meticulous they have been on the historical context (what the Romans look like, etc.)

But I heard the movie is likely to reinforce antisemitism in the States, as Jews are described as the evil murderers of the Christ. So what, hasn't Nietsche declared god dead ? :D

I hope to watch it later today when I get home from work, I think I'll have an unusual perspective to the film. I am from a Jewish upbringing who never believed in Jesus, and I became Muslim many moons ago so I now believe in him as a prophet, but DO NOT ascribe any divininty to him. But the stories about people who died whilst wathcing the movie, I mean c'mon were they like surprised or something.

i think the heartattack(s?) had to do with the graphicness and gore of it all, which while displayed in the movie, isnt spoken of much of in church.

I must say there are alot more aspects to the movie. I havnt done much research on the religion go figure and I'm catholic but I felt that there was a bit of church vs the roman govt. I wonder if I'm the only one that saw that. Like if there was a separation than I dont think jesus would have been turned over and let the pharsiees (sp?) do what they want with him. The only reason I bring that up is cuz I wonder if that would be a topic for my paper. You know I think the aramaic language is cool. Also you know that the guy who played jesus was the main actor in the thin red line. I must say I love the roles he plays.

Going off topic, those gory scenes in "Passion" somewhere down the lines could be cheapened as fodder for deathwave/heavy metal/punk/emo/oi! music videos. 😌

Haven'tseen the movie yet...and really don't want to actually :mad: i kinda feel like kirei. And another thing, i heard about the woman haveing the heartattack, and people fidning a new outlook on god. God should have been there in the first place...I can't see a movie changing my output on jesus....though mel is the man! BRAVEHEART!!!!! 😌 ......

i might go and see it...but i better not hear another commercial about it 😌

same as some movies like braveheart and gladiator,but this is much more of a violent but touching movie...tough I have not seen it,but in s'pore,it is rated RA and not sure they will cut most of the scene??

Winter said:
Hachiko: BRAVEHEART!!!! Thats EXACTLY why I started supporting Mel.

Indeed, "Braveheart" is an excellent character study of William Wallace, guardian of Scotland.

I thought Mel Gibson was pretty cool too. I also love Braveheart, but since he's now claiming to be such a devout Catholic, I'm not too sure. I mean, all this is for money. Make an outrageous movie, make loads of money. Isn't that real Jesus-like? I'm sure Jesus would love all the greed.

Im not sure about jesus loving all the greed. I have no standpoint of jesus. He did exist but if he is the son of god I dont know nor do I care but I just see him as a honorable person. As for mel he is a very traditional catholic. He thinks since vatican 2 started that each pope after that is illegitimate. He believes mass should still be in latin. He even made his own chapel so that way he could have latin mass. His fater is an antisemetic believing that the holocaust never happened. He made a comment like "6 million jews were killed in the holocaust. How is that possible if they were all roaming the streets of NY in all five boroughs" Compared to his father I think mel came out all right.

Mel Gibson is an anti-feminist homophobe. Sorry, can't support the brotha.

All I know is that I'm getting so sick of hearing about it. Every channel, every day, there it is. I'm sick of hearing about Jerry Falwell buying up every theater around here so that all his congregation and all of his students can see it. This is the Bible Belt, after all...

I understand EXACTLY this sentiment. Really. It's so annoying. Folks have bought up all the tickets where I am and you have to go to Campus Ministries if you want to get a ticket.

Maciamo said:
This said, personally, I'd like to have a glance just to see how meticulous they have been on the historical context (what the Romans look like, etc.)

well, in the film jesus is a white dude....thats not really correct...well, as far as i understand....i dont think i want to see this film at all. Im not religious at all, it just doesn't really hold much interest.

I've heard its really gory aswell...and the woman having the heart attack..jeebus!

Porl''

Porl said jeebus!!! I say that all the time! :D I really think this movie is getting out of hand. I went by a church yesterday and they have this like video sign usually displaying there name or some quote and guess what it has on it.....this damn movie!?!?!? I'm officially not going to see it now. this has pushed me! True the movie was made for a reason-his opinion or whateva but now this is ridiculous! :mad:

Ok for english I am writing bout the movie. I was wondering if you knew any movies that were shown on the big screen without subtitles. You see mel gibson was originally not gonna put subtitles in the movie cuz the images speak for themselves. This is so true but I was wondering if a movie did ever come out with no subtitles. And I still think that movie was really good and I give props to those actors they did an amazing job speaking a dead language.

Back
Top Bottom