What's new

The new trend in convienence stores

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I recently notice this with the Lawsons, not so much with 7-11 yet. One nice thing is that you can have your lunch there, study and even drink beer at the tables.

Ministop, the fifth largest convenience store chain in Japan with 2,200 outlets nationwide, was the first of its ilk to provide counters, tables and chairs for patrons who preferred to consume their purchases on the premises. Because of relatively lax tax laws in Japan, they could do it without having to charge more. This service was originally devised as a gimmick that would differentiate Ministop from other chains, and for years no other CS chain felt that it needed to do the same thing.

Last summer, Ministop, which belongs to the Aeon retail conglomerate, expanded on this idea with an offshoot called Cisca, an abbreviation for “city small cafe.” It’s basically a more attractively appointed convenient store centered around the sit-down space. So far, only one Cisca has opened, in Nihonbashi, Tokyo, and according to Asahi Shimbun the target is women who work in the area. The selection is more limited than what you would find in a regular Ministop, with the focus on high quality deli items and beverages, including fresh coffee and alcoholic drinks.

The “eating corner” seats only 17, but what really distinguishes Cisca from other Ministops is that eating-in is encouraged with free use of utensils. You can buy a bottle of wine for ¥700, for instance, and drink it right there, because they will provide you with wine glasses. Each seat also has its own electrical outlet. According to Ministop’s publicity department, since the store opened it’s been almost continually full.

Cisca is part of a trend taking place in both the retail and restaurant trades toward a more practical and less expensive view of dining out. Half of the new outlets opened by CS giant Family Mart

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I have never had beer or wine at the combini, but I often stop by for a quick lunch break. Ideal in summer to cool down at the counter, check the forum, reply to mails, and then carry on. Wine glasses and free utensils? Sounds like the ideal venue for cheap dates. 😁

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I have never had beer or wine at the combini, but I often stop by for a quick lunch break. Ideal in summer to cool down at the counter, check the forum, reply to mails, and then carry on. Wine glasses and free utensils? Sounds like the ideal venue for cheap dates. 😁

Well, I do a lot of cycling and I actually didn't know one can buy a beer and sit down and drink it there. Found out this summer. Pretty cool actually.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
You can buy a bottle of wine for ¥700, for instance, and drink it right there, because they will provide you with wine glasses. Each seat also has its own electrical outlet. According to Ministop’s publicity department, since the store opened it’s been almost continually full. ...
It probably keeps the noise down and appearances up by not having people partying outside in the parking lots!

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
It probably keeps the noise down and appearances up by not having people partying outside in the parking lots!

Hey, this isn't downtown Little Tokyo in Los Angles. LOL

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Convenience stores are so thick that you very often can stand in front of one and see at least one more. There used to be a 7-11 and a Lawsons right next to each other on Kannana in Tokyo. You could lean on the wall of one and just about spit on the wall of the other. It stayed that way for years but the 7-11 won out in the end and the Lawsons closed.

Competition between the chains is extremely fierce and they've been upping the ante on each other for a long time, to the consumers' benefit, in regards to rhe goods and services they provide. They're starting to run out of ways to one-up each other, though, and this latest development of adding in-store seating and amenities is just one of the latest ways they're going for an edge. New construction Family Marts quite often include some seating. I've seen a few Lawsons. Eventually 7-11 will have to get on board. Lots of locations are also installing the Quick Charge facilities for electric vehicles as a means to attract customers.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Convenience stores are so thick that you very often can stand in front of one and see at least one more. There used to be a 7-11 and a Lawsons right next to each other on Kannana in Tokyo. You could lean on the wall of one and just about spit on the wall of the other. It stayed that way for years but the 7-11 won out in the end and the Lawsons closed.

Competition between the chains is extremely fierce and they've been upping the ante on each other for a long time, to the consumers' benefit, in regards to rhe goods and services they provide. They're starting to run out of ways to one-up each other, though, and this latest development of adding in-store seating and amenities is just one of the latest ways they're going for an edge. New construction Family Marts quite often include some seating. I've seen a few Lawsons. Eventually 7-11 will have to get on board. Lots of locations are also installing the Quick Charge facilities for electric vehicles as a means to attract customers.

Yeah, it's Family Mart that is leading the way here in this area. They seem to be paying top dollar for prime locations now. It's really cool because they offer free wifi also like McDonalds.

cloa513

Kouhai
Reaction score
Lawson convenience stores around Saitama City have had sit down areas for at least 6 years. Ministop sitting area is tiny compared to Lawson. I assume the trend you mean is loaning eating and drinking items. Combinis have had alcoholic drinks for a very long time.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Lawson convenience stores around Saitama City have had sit down areas for at least 6 years. Ministop sitting area is tiny compared to Lawson. I assume the trend you mean is loaning eating and drinking items. Combinis have had alcoholic drinks for a very long time.
I think its all new in my area in Yamaguchi. The new store that was put in even has wifi. So I think the trend is to stay.
7-11 in my area with the new store that I went to now also has seating. This is really good for the traveler, we don't have to eat at an expensive now. An onigiri and chips, 200\