What's new

The Japanese Language...

Kirie_Maiden

Rope Shrine Maiden
5 Mar 2007
If on Vacation to Japan... would it be wise to learn the basics of the japanese language? I don't know any but, if I was planning a holiday to japan, would the Japanese be more appreciative of me if I learned the basics of their language or are most people in Japan English speakers? I don't want to seem ignorant thinking that every country in the world knows English because I know they don't, but it's just a general question.

So far I know only 3 Japanese people who speak good enough Japanese that I speak English most of the time, and they are all experienced English teachers ;)

Japanese people speak Japanese, learning a few phrases for emergencies and some fun can't be bad.

Not only in Japan but wherever you travel to, the local people appreciate if you try to speak even a few words or phrases of their language - because it means your effort and respect to the place and people.

I make it a rule myself to learn at least the four survival words in the local language when I'm travelling abroad: hello, good bye, thank you and sorry.
And it really works. :)

Yeah. I agree. Those words woule be helpful. I think, "you're welcome," would also be a good one to learn. And possibly the phrase, "Do you speak English?"

Yeah. I agree. Those words woule be helpful. I think, "you're welcome," would also be a good one to learn. And possibly the phrase, "Do you speak English?"

:)
Personally I think "I don't uinderstand [local language]" would be more useful because;
- you can ask "do you speak English" in English - if they do, they'll understand. If they don't undersatnd it, obviously they don't speak English.
- if you try to use the local words and phrases, sometimes they'll think you're fluent in their language, or at least they might assume you understand their language. If they start talking a lot in their language which you don't understand, then you can say "sorry but I don't speak xxxx".

:)
Personally I think "I don't uinderstand [local language]" would be more useful because;
- you can ask "do you speak English" in English - if they do, they'll understand. If they don't undersatnd it, obviously they don't speak English.
Yeah, always make a point of asking first. One of the most annoying features of Japanese communication with foreigners is assuming I speak English, even at times when being replied to in Japanese, and not realizing that if the listener truly didn't understand, they may not be able to identify the language being spoken well enough to pinpoint the true source of their cluelessness. Bad English is just as difficult to follow as rapid fire Japanese. :p

If you look foreign, a lot of people (out of innocent ignorance), will most likely presume you don't speak Japanese. It's not uncommon by any means for any gaijin who has been here for however long to still hear "Your Japanese is really good!"

I was helping out a concert my aunt was performing in a couple days ago, when a man looked like he needed some help I went over and asked him if he needed any help, in Japanese.

He looked at me, thought for a moment, and came out with
"Uh... I... up... seat" *pointing upwards* (He wanted a seat upstairs...)
Forget the fact that I'm half Japanese so I can't look all THAT foreign, but I spoke to the guy first in Japanese! I guess when faced with something unusual, logic goes out the window, haha.

If you look foreign, a lot of people (out of innocent ignorance), will most likely presume you don't speak Japanese. It's not uncommon by any means for any gaijin who has been here for however long to still hear "Your Japanese is really good!"

Yeah, but I don't mind it so much when it comes after I've explained why I came here, where I'm from, and what I'm doing here. If it comes after konnichiwa then it feels pretty patronizing.

I was helping out a concert my aunt was performing in a couple days ago, when a man looked like he needed some help I went over and asked him if he needed any help, in Japanese.

Forget the fact that I'm half Japanese so I can't look all THAT foreign, but I spoke to the guy first in Japanese! I guess when faced with something unusual, logic goes out the window, haha.

I've heard a few stories like this one, and I've experienced something like it once.

Maybe he figured you weren't Japanese because you offered help. From second hand accounts helping each other is just something Japanese people don't do. :p (I'm not really serious, by the way)

Not only in Japan but wherever you travel to, the local people appreciate if you try to speak even a few words or phrases of their language - because it means your effort and respect to the place and people.
Sad though, that companies like Sony, and Nintendo try to encourage Japanese tourists to use the Talk Man, or equivalent DS software to "speak" to people of a different language while on vacation, or otherwise.... ☝

Last edited:
It's probably meant in a polite way, but I hate it when that happens. I mean, my Japanese is pretty fluent and I'm pretty sure it's not audible that I'm actually half. But still, some people still try and speak English to me (even when I start the conversation in Japanese), which I often do not understand because of their bad pronunciations!!

Polite, but very tiresome.. 😌

It's probably meant in a polite way, but I hate it when that happens. I mean, my Japanese is pretty fluent and I'm pretty sure it's not audible that I'm actually half. But still, some people still try and speak English to me (even when I start the conversation in Japanese), which I often do not understand because of their bad pronunciations!!
Polite, but very tiresome.. 😌
The scariest it has ever gotten for me was in a confrontation with a JR station attendant who took great exception to the use of the word "sen." In fact, every time I used it to ask about a line he used as an opportunity to correct me to the English "line."
"Nan ban sen deshouka?"
What line
I mean Sen.
Line.
Sen.
Line.
So I'm standing there for maybe two minutes determined not to give in as the tension rises and his tone becomes ever more insistant thinking this man is out of his freakin mind...what the hell is going on ? :eek: I know now he knows the word line, I don't even care about missing my train I just don't want to get arrested for doing something really stupid...Luckily, though, this time the story has a happy ending and he ends up giving in to reality before getting totally beaten up by a foreigner. LOL.

Which made me very aware, after getting over my fury, that there are obviously people in total denial of anyone without a Japanese accent or who is clearly gaijin learning to speak their language and who will go to great extremes to limit their freedom of expression. Stupid guy. 😌

Closest thing like that that happened to me was buying tickets for the tokkyû train on the way to Kashihara Jingû-mae, and on the way back from there. The first time the conversation was going along fine, then the guy asked me if I wanted nô sumôkingu, and I said kin'en. He then chuckled, like he was amused I would know that word. Same thing happened buying a ticket on the way back, except that time I just answer in English, "yeah, no smoking."

Funny thing about the second conversation, though, there was a point when the guy asked me if I had something* and I didn't understand what he was asking for, and for a second it looked like he was about to give it a shot in English, then he asked in Japanese if I already had something (from what I remember it was nanika o motteimasu ka, but that seems a bit incomplete. Maybe I just realized what he was asking about in the interim...).

*I still don't know what the word was exaclty, but apparently he was asking if I already had a ticket from a train I had taken to get there, although that's a bit strange considering I was on the outside of the turnstiles when I was buying the ticket.

When I was trying to go to the courthouse in Sakura City to pick up my gaijin registration card, I asked for directions from one one of the train attendants, I had gotten on the wrong train and wound up at a dead end...

...I sat there as they went on and on in Japanese, none of which seemed to be getting through to me in my nervousness, and I sat there, nervously answering, "un", "un", "un"... because I just wanted to get out of this situation as quickly as possible...

We returned back to the Usui station, I think solely for my benefit, I got off, and walked home, frustrated and a little dizzy....

Directions can be tricky, especially if you don't know the area, 'cause then you're just getting all these new terms thrown out at you. Even if you do know the area it can be tough remembering everything, unless it's kono michi o zutto massugu iku to, migigawa ni arimasu or something simple like that. :p

I rarely ask for directions, 'cause I know I'll mostly end up wasting whoever's time I'm asking as well as my own. 😌 If things are desperate enough I'll do it, though.

Last edited:
So, should I ask for all the basics in the Learning Japanese forum, or is there a website or book somebody could recommend?

Sad though, that companies like Sony, and Nintendo try to encourage Japanese tourists to use the Talk Man, or equivalent DS software to "speak" to people of a different language while on vacation, or otherwise.... ☝

Haha, but at least with it people do try to communicate with the locals in the local language. After all, language is a communication tool...
Not that I defend those softwares or manufacturers, I don't feel that without those tools people will become more eager to learn and use the local language.

I rarely ask for directions, 'cause I know I'll mostly end up wasting whoever's time I'm asking as well as my own. 😌 If things are desperate enough I'll do it, though.
What's interesting is my gf in Japan at the time ran into a gaijin fellow who spoke English, and asked for directions in English, or perhaps she attempted to give him directions in English--- regardless, at some point he realized his Japanese ability was probably better than her English ability, and just gave up and said daijoubu daijoubu, and asked for the directions in Japanese!

Haha, but at least with it people do try to communicate with the locals in the local language. After all, language is a communication tool...
Every night before I go to bed, (not really), but often, I'll wish to myself... Okami-sama, grant me complete litteracy--- and I'll wake up knowing all the kanji or enough to read manga & a newspaper... (that brings up manga, I really have to start practicing with manga...) but, it never happens. That's why I study, but I have to study more... & daily!

It's difficult for me now, because I'm so busy, and I want to use a regular course-work, which is being shipped back to me.... but I know I'll get to it... in between I do what I can, as best I can.

I just know that when I can put time into it, really put obsessive time into it, I'll be much more prepared than I was 5-6 years ago, after all of my experiences thus far.

Learning the basic phrases helps. I learned to ask how much things cost, but that ends up confusing me more sometimes because I get a long answer back and have no clue. On the lighter side though, when I struggle along in broken Japanese I am forgiven my mistakes. I was told my accent was kawaii. Maybe it's an insult, but I don't mind that people think it's cute when I try to speak, it's better than being made to feel stupid.

I'd rather kawaii than not being understood, or being insulted. Although ideally I wouldn't have an accent.

Ideally I wouldn't have an accent and I would be able to speak fluently, but that's just not going to happen over night! :) I am afraid that it's going to take a lot longer than I thought, but I am happy to remain kawaii!

Yeah. I suppose you don't need to be fluent unless you are going to live there. For a vacation, it would be simpler to just learn the basics and possibly to have somebody with you who knows more of the language... hopefully like I will have.

Although there are people who live here and aren't fluent, and even some who can hardly speak the language at all. We call people of the latter category either "US soldiers" or "English teachers." :p

I'm half-kidding, actually. There certainly are US soldiers and English teachers here who have very good Japanese skills (well, I assume that for the soldiers, anyway; I know it's true for English teachers), but I'd say most soldiers have problems with greetings, as do most English teachers. The JET Program probably has the most skilled English teachers in the country, as part of the program is making an effort to learn the language or continue studying it.

But then again I'm basing this opinion on what I've seen on the internet, so I could be way off.

Learning a few useful prases won't hurt. It won't make much difference either way in my opinion, as at the level of being a tourist, the communication challenge is one of the fun things about foreign travel. Just jump in and learn as you go! People will always find a way to communicate if it's important, and the connections you'll make while trying may be better than if you just repeated a robotic phrase. Most likely if you do say something in Japanese, you'll get the obligatory, "ohhh, you speak Japanese soooo well!" comment from people.

If you are planning on visiting rural Japan then it won't hurt but if you are going to the main tourist areas and major cities almost everything is bilingual.

Back
Top Bottom