What's new

The car culture in japan

kazan87

Registered
22 May 2008
Hi, everbody reading.
I was just wondering what kind of car culture they have in Japan...
Is it that they have a great love for foreign cars or rather drive a japanese car...
How do Japanese people think about certain types of cars?
Where I live everybody has a prejudice about a car and it's driver
en I wonder if they have similar thoughts about cars en the drivers in japan...

I'm curious about what you think about that...
thanks in forward
:p

Well, let's see....

Most people I know drive either a Japanese car or a German car. I guess a lot of people think that foreign cars aer cool becasue they tend to cost more and are more rare, but I think that American cars still are associated with having less quality than a similar German or Japanese car.

But I don't know if there's a perception that "people who drive such and such a car are such and such". I've never heard of one, at least.

Oke thanks! That's a big difference with my country:p
There are some cars that have a stereotype person driving it....al least that is a perception of it( usually true:)) like a Mecedes clk with AMG wheels usually driven by somebody that could come from a Roma Camp( no direspect!!!), or if you see a lowered Volkswagen golf 2 with loud music(mainly bass) you can almost bet money on it that the guy driving it is almost sitting on the backseat an he wears his cap tilted half on his head( we call them riseboys:))..

Do you have any of these "stereotypes" in Japan...

I really would like to go and see voor myself but first I'm going on vacation to NYC so next year:p

Are those cars from what we call riseboys???
If yes, I want them to come here better than ours haha

I'm not saying that the "no shoes in my car" guys are good/bad everybody got his own thing that he likes...

I heard from a friend of mine that there are "american style" car clubs in japan. American style meaning with big bumpers all around and neon, woofers in the trunk with to much bass.
Does anybody know about that??

The car culture is about the same as it is in most countries. Depends on the poerson. They low riders, Import style culture (US import scene but with domestic JDM Vehicles), And Euro styling, Bosozoku, Yankee, VIP, EXE. There are alot of styles. This should probably be moved to Vehicle forum.

Compared to my experience in USA, there are more respects toward the cars in Japan. By this, I mean I don't really have to worry too much about the parking spot; I don't really need to park my car at the edge of the parking lot religiously to avoid some asXhXXX park next to me and bang the side of my car. I was so paranoid about my parking spot in the public area when I was in NY and NJ area (there, I found very cheap and beat-up cars like to park next to the very nicely maintained and more expensive cars even though there are so many empty parking spots closer to buildings/entrances; it seemed those cheap and beat-up cars tend to damage nicer cars parked next to them)

Back
Top Bottom