What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

The Big Quake

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
At roughly midnight last night, I was rudely thrown out of bed.
No, this wasn't Mad Pierrot's last date, this was an
Earthquake!

Did anyone else in Japan feel it? I happen to live in Wakayama near Shirahama, not too far from the epicenter, relatively speaking. I wasn't literally thrown out of bed, but I did get a rude awakening. Not long after the quake, sirens blared all around my town calling for people to evacuate to higher ground in case of a tsunami. I grabbed my robe and a flashlight and took off.

People reported on the news that they felt it in Tokyo, which surprised me because it was so far away. Did any Jref members in Tokyo feel anything? My house might not have collapsed, but I do happen to live in a shack near the ocean, so the threat of a tsunami was very real.

Two strong quakes jolt western Japan, injuring 39
Monday, September 6, 2004 at 09:24 JST
OSAKA 窶 Two earthquakes, with preliminary magnitudes of 6.9 and 7.3, respectively, struck western Japan in the space of around five hours Sunday night, injuring 39 people, causing damage, and prompting residents in some Pacific coastal regions to evacuate for fear of tidal waves.
The quakes originated in separate locations more than 100 kilometers off Japan's Pacific coast, with the first one taking place at 7:07 p.m., the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Woah, that sounds scary. I'm glad to hear that you're alright. I actually saw on the Japanese news on the International Channel that there was an earthquake and tsunami warning, but I'm not sure how up-to-date that info was. I saw it at 6:00 central US time.

King of Tokyo

The Funky Homosapien.
Reaction score
I actually wish I had have been there.. Sounds cool.. My philosophy on Earthquakes is that if no one is killed then it is cool.. Heh. Unless I was sleeping.. Or it caused damage to something. But yeh.. Wonder if anyone else from the forum in Japan felt it?

blade_bltz

天才じゃん!
Reaction score
i'm talking to my friend in Nagoya on MSN right now...he said there was a 3rd quake! insane

Reaction score
Felt them in Kanagawa.

One while in the movie (added atmosphere to Van Helsing) the second at home.

Felt very minor in Tokyo.

Apollo

先輩
Reaction score
Yes, I read about it in the newspaper today..it must have been very scary!! 6,9 and 7,3 on the Richter scale...Wow.
It was very strong in the area near Nara, where there are loads of temples...
The authority has issued a warning that there might be a risk that the shakes would create tsunami....

I was just wondering...are the old temples of Nara "earthquake-safe"? Because it would be a shame, it the temples were destroyed in a large quake, especially as Nara was once the capital....

DoctorP

先輩
Reaction score
I saw the news reports of the quake the other night on the news. Pretty scary lately. That was the 2nd or 3rd quake in the last few weeks right? Not to mention the flooding and now you have another typhoon headed that way! Typhoon Songda just went over us yesterday...not the strongest typhoon I've seen, but still did some damage!

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
Update....

Typhoon 18 should be hitting Kansai soon, with Typhoon 19 hitting later this week. Crazy, huh? And if that wasn't enough, there was another fairly large earthquake just this morning. I was actually sitting at my desk at work when it hit, about a 5 according to the public announcements in town.

I'm originally from the mid-west, so these kinds of potential disasters always have my attention. Typhoons, earthquakes, tsunamis... Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My......

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
Another reason I would never live there. I couldn't handle the tremors, much less the potential for a 'big' one.

My in-laws felt the earthquakes. They are in the Aichi/Gifu area.

10almonds

先輩
Reaction score
anyway,I packed and prepared, a water bottle, food, valuables, change, pocket radio, the flashlight, etc. in the rucksack.
But i think that We do not need to be worried any longer.
i hope....

TwistedMac

Sempai
Reaction score
wouldn't it be great to be in the middle of the act just when it hits.. I can only imagine the added effect of excitement.

then afterwards you just go around telling everyone you made her world shake.

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
:D :D :D

That's pretty good, Mac. I have an irrational fear that there will be an earthquake whenever I'm using the can.

😌

jieshi

Japaustralian
Reaction score
can you explain what a typhoon is like? once I get to Japan and experience my first typhoon I want to jump out in the middle of one with my camera to take photos for my weblog. Am I a madman wanting to do this?

Nuala

Hell's Finest Daughter
Reaction score
No! I would do the same thing. Except I'd get a girl and shag her near the typhoon.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
mad pierrot said:
Did anyone else in Japan feel it?
I am living in Tokyo, on the 10th floor of an apartment building. I didn't notice the first quake, the second one right before midnight caused my room to swing like a metronome for what seemed to be an endless time (perhaps 20secs). The good thing is you get used to these tremours after a while.

jieshi

Japaustralian
Reaction score
oh boy I hope my host family doesn't live in a huge apartment block!!!

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
Here in Wakayama, the quake was strong enough to knock some stuff off my shelves. Still, I found myself wanting to grab my camera although it probably would've been dangerous to go looking for it.

:p

Typhoons? It really depends on where you are. If you're near the center of a strong one and you go outside, you could get killed. I'm pretty far from the center of typhoon 18, so I'm only seeing strong winds/rain, and big waves.

jieshi

Japaustralian
Reaction score
hmmm get killed hey? sounds like fun!!!! lets go already!

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Japan has a system for categorizing strength like the US does. For instance, (this is just off of the top of my head, so it could be wrong) 45-60 mph winds is a tropical depression, 61-75 mph is a tropical storm, 76-90 is a category 1 hurricane, 91-105 is a category 2, etc. up until category 5, which I believe is 145+ mph. How exactly are typhoons classified?

Reaction score
Depends where you are.
Here in Tokyo we get the back end of typhoons. Jsut strong winds and LOTS of annoying drenching rain.

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
jieshi said:
can you explain what a typhoon is like? once I get to Japan and experience my first typhoon I want to jump out in the middle of one with my camera to take photos for my weblog. Am I a madman wanting to do this?

Over here we'd call it a spit of rain and a touch of wind, just your basic badass storm. I personally dont see the big deal 😌

Apollo

先輩
Reaction score
My family in Japan also felt it (and they are in Kanto and Kansai area).
The tremours were strong, and it is good that there were no fatalities, although many were injured or evacuated from their homes.
I never got used to earthquakes, I was always pretty scared of them when I lived in Japan. Even the 窶徼iny baby-shakes窶 I never liked窶ヲ:(

In school, I remember we used to have regular practices on what to do when an earthquake came, like when you do for a fire drill, and we had to wear these pillow-like hoods to protect our heads窶ヲI am glad that I live in Denmark now..

Last edited:
Top Bottom