What's new

The adverb 一々(いちいち)- ichiichi

biasaf

先輩
31 Mar 2011
Hello!
I know the adverb 一々 means 'one by one/separately'.
Could someone please give me an example of a sentence with ichiichi in it?

Thanks a bunch ! :D

カウントこのリンゴ一々。 (Kaunto kono ringo ichiichi) - I don't know if that's the right way to say it, but it should read: Count these apples one by one. :)

It's used mostly with a negative feeling, and means something like "every single one" or "down to the last detail" or something like that. For example:

一々難癖をつける。
一々構っていられない。

The two above from 一一(いちいち)の意味 - goo国語辞書

一々気にするな。

The dictionary, by the way, is a good source of example sentences. You can also use Google.

カウントこのリンゴ一々。

I'm afraid this doesn't make much sense. For the meaning you're going for it would be better to say このリンゴを一つ一つ数えてください.

I see, thank you all! :D
One more thing.
I searched for sentences with the kanji 見栄(appearance, show, display..) and
one of the phrases I found is" 彼女は見栄を張っているだけだよ。" (Kanojo wa mie o hatte iru dake dayo). The translation I found is 'She's just putting up a front/show.'
[彼女] = she
[見栄] = show/appearance
[張って/張る] = to put
[いる] = to get in; to go in; to come in; to flow into; to set; to set in
[だけ] = Just

What does いる stands for in this sentence?
Is 彼女は見栄を張ってだけだよ any different?

By the way, I'm using a software called KanjiPad to learn Kanji.
It's amazing! I found this program like 2 days ago and I already know like 60~80 kanji!
If you want to try it here is the link cerebware.110mb.com .

The いる in your example sentence is not a verb but more likely an auxiliary verb(aka 補助動詞). "The -te form of a verb + いる" expresses the present state or the present progressive tense depending on the type of the verb.

だけ can't be used with the -te form.

Yes, I just found it on my textbook thank you ! :)
Hmm since I don't wanna open more topics I'll ask all of my questions here.

1) The suffix 入り (iri), for example, how can I use it in a sentence?
Do I have to remember words with suffixes? or can I noun+suffix form it when needed?

2) What are 'No-Adjectives'? I couldn't find anything on google.. How do you use them?

There is no suffix 入り.

There are no "no-adjectives".

Where are you getting this?

Oh, like 北京入り? It just means "entering XX" (Beijing, in this case). Also 仲間入り and 楽屋入り. I was thinking you mean V+入り. I'm pretty sure that one doesn't exist.

I still say there's no such thing as a no-adjective, though. Nouns are connected to other nouns with の, which is a version of だ (attributive form with nouns), but they're still nouns. Look in a Japanese dictionary, like 大辞林, for instance, and you'll see that it's marked that way: 名・形動 (長命). If you have 長命の~, that means that the noun 長命 is modifying something, whereas if you have 長命な~ it means that the adjective 長命 is modifying something. This does get a bit tricky, though.

Here's a classification system of nouns and adjectives propounded by a linguist 村木新次郎.

subjective/objective/
adverbial form attributive form predicative form examples
-が(-を) -に -く -の -な -い -だ -い
(1) + + - + - - + - りんご- 机- 遊び-
(2) + + - + + - + - 健康- 自由- 親切-
(3) + + + + - + + + 丸- 四角- 茶色-
(4) - + - + - - + - 大荒れ- 上々- がらあき-
(5) - + - + + - + - わずか- 特別- さまざま-
(6) - + - - + - + - しずか- おだやか- 立派-
(7) - - + - + + + + 暖か- 柔らか- 細か-
(8) - - + - + + - + 大き- 小さ- おかし-
(9) - - + - - + - + 長- 高- かた-

Group #1: typical noun
Group #2: overlapping of noun and na-adjective
Group #3: overlapping of noun and i-adjective
Group #4:
Group #5: na-adjective + "-の" attributive form
Group #6: typical na-adjective
Group #7: partial overlapping of na and i-adjective in attributive and predicative form
Group #8: partial overlapping of na and i-adjective in attributive form
Group #9: typical i-adjective

He named the Group #4 第三形容詞, i.e., "the third adjective" (the first = i-adjective, the second = na-adjective). This group is sometimes called no-adjectives, too.
I think 長命 belongs to the group #2 in this system, though. There exists many hypotheses...

Last edited:
Wow. That's pretty... advanced/involved/intricate. Interesting too, from a linguistics perspective. I'm not sure how much it would help out biasaf, though. I feel like if it takes の it's best to be thought of as a noun rather than an adjective. Looking at the 第三形容詞 I'd say that's a good move, because those aren't exactly the types you'd run into all over the place. I've got to admit, though -- I never imagined a group that would only take の in attributive form, but not be able to take が or を. That's kind of mind-blowing.

I'm not sure how much it would help out biasaf, though.
Exactly.:D:p

Muraki said that there seemed to be so many words that belongs to the group #4 and that's why he thought they shouldn't be "exceptions". The followings are the examples of the third adjectives in his list, which is classified into nouns in 岩波国語辞典(第五版) and 現代国語例解辞典(第二版).

深紅(のバラ)、細面、一流(の学者)、だんとつ(の一 位)、指折り(の人物)、ぴか一(の美人)、極上(の 酒)、とびきり(の品)、ひとかど(の人物)、常套、 在来(の方式)、仮(の処置)、仮性、迫真(の演技) 、真(の学者)、本物(の武士)、まやかし、がらんど う(の家)、空洞、がら空き(の電車)、高速、きわめ つき(の演技)、てづくり(の味)、すしづめ(の電車 )、しりあがり、鰻のぼり(の出世)、よこなぐり(の 雨)、おしきせ(の社内旅行)、物笑い(の種)、丸腰 (の警官)、見ず知らず(の人)、底無し(の沼)、不 治(の病)、無人(の部屋)、未曾有(の大事件)

He also said that we could see many "compound words" in this group. Hmm, interesting, indeed.

So this is a pretty hardcore aside, but that list really made me want to go to Japan. I'm not sure just what frequency inside me that 共鳴ed with, but it happened. (Can't think of how to say 共鳴 in English in this context right now...)

Actually I think I've got it now.
But just to be sure let's look at the 'Na-adj,noun,no-adj' - 上々 from group 4.
It's meaning is 'the best' am I wrong?
Well according to the table it can take ~だ、~の and ~に。
- 上々の学校だ Should mean 'Best School' right? (google translate translates it as 'The school is great')
- 上々に学校だ (Translates as 'School is great')
Are these two write?
Notice that in the first sentence '上々' is used as an adjective while as a noun in the second one.

First of all, you'd better not trust machine translations. It (mostly, to say the least) can't be used as confirmation.

上々に is an adverbial form, so it modifies a verb (e.g. 上々に仕上がった). 上々の学校だ doesn't make much sense either, although it's far better than 上々に学校だ. When 上々の modifies 学校, it's needed to indicate what field of the school the best is, for instance, 設備が上々の学校. You can use 上々の設備, though.

Last edited:
最良の, 最上の, 一番いい, or like that.

FYI, the concept of no-adjective is not accepted officially. Almost all J-J dictionaries don't use this term. I'm pretty sure most native Japanese speakers have never heard it.

Then what can be used instead of NO?
and in the sentence '上々に仕上がった' you wrote, what is に's role ?
- Location (at/in)
- Direction (to)
- Indirect Object (e.g 俺に返せ) (to)
- Source (by...)
- Purpose (I want to...)

Also what is the difference between 最良/最上/一番いい and 上々?

Thank you so much for helping, I know I've got a lot of questions.
Sorry for that ><

Then what can be used instead of NO?
It's just the problem of the definition of the term. Whatever it's called (noun, na-adjective, no-adjective or the third adjective), 上々の is commonly used.

and in the sentence '上々に仕上がった' you wrote, what is に's role ?
上々に is not the object/target of 仕上がった but acts as an adverb in the example sentence. It can be considered as a conjugation form of an adjective rather than "noun + the particle に". (That's why I wrote "an adverbial form" in my previous post.) It's quite the same usage as, for instance, 静かに in 静かに暮した.

Also what is the difference between 最良/最上/一番いい and 上々?
Functionally, just like as I already wrote. Semantically, the best of the best v.s. one of the best.

It's just the problem of the definition of the term. Whatever it's called (noun, na-adjective, no-adjective or the third adjective), 上々の is commonly used.
In that case you can also write
- 上々は (noun)
- 上々な (na-adj)
- 上々の (no-adj)
While 上々な & 上々の have the same meaning/usage, right?

上々に is not the object/target of 仕上がった but acts as an adverb in the example sentence. It can be considered as a conjugation form of an adjective rather than "noun + the particle に". (That's why I wrote "an adverbial form" in my previous post.) It's quite the same usage as, for instance, 静かに in 静かに暮した.
Functionally, just like as I already wrote. Semantically, the best of the best v.s. one of the best.
Yes, I just found my answer in here:
Adverbs and Gobi - Tae Kim's Japanese grammar guide

na-adjectives: Attach the target particle 「に」.
例) きれい → きれいに
or 上々 → 上々に in this case.
Well thank you! I've got it all now!

First of all, you'd better not trust machine translations.
I'd certainly endorse that. I have used Google's Japanese-to-English translation a lot, and while it may give you some rough idea what a text is talking about, it is usually hopeless at giving faithful (or even intelligible) translations of isolated sentences or phrases.

Yeah, it even has problems going from Korean to Japanese sometimes, and those two languages are a lot closer to each other than English and Japanese are.

In that case you can also write
- 上々は (noun)
- 上々な (na-adj)
- 上々の (no-adj)
While 上々な & 上々の have the same meaning/usage, right?
You seem to completely misunderstand the issue raised by the linguist. He said that there exists a group of words which don't have qualification of nouns nevertheless they are classified into nouns in the dictionary. Similarly, even if the word is called a na-adjective in another dictionary, it doesn't mean the word always acts as a na-adjective. Furthermore, you need to know what the deffinition of "nouns" in Japanese grammar is at the first place to understand the issue. For instance, は can't be an indicator to judge wheather the word belongs to nouns or not.

I have to say that this topic seems to be too advanced for you yet, as Glenn-san was concerned about in his reply, I'm afraid. I, too, recommed you to learn step by step systematically, as Mike-san pointed out in another thread.:)

Back
Top Bottom