What's new

Text on scroll by Tani Buncho

Ger

Sempai
17 Jan 2018
Please read this text on a scroll by Tani Buncho.
To represent the text in kanji is much appreciated.
The scroll shows a landscape with city, pagode, river and boats.

Attachments

• tani buncho.jpg
    tani buncho.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 172
丁酉初春寫于
水雲山居 文晁
Painted at Suiunsankyo (= Bunchō's studio) by Bunchō in January, 1837

Please look at the attached image of a scroll signed Tani Buncho.
Which village/city would be depicted?

Thanks to Toritoribe, the text to this scroll reads:
丁酉初春寫于
水雲山居 文晁
Painted at Suiunsankyo (= Bunchō's studio) by Bunchō in January, 1837

Where is this studio location ( 水雲山? )
The scroll scene might be in the neighbourhood...

Attachments

• Tani Buncho january 1837.jpg
    Tani Buncho january 1837.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 162
You don't need to start new threads to ask additional questions about the same item you already have a thread for.

I moved the posts.

The scroll scene might be in the neighbourhood
No. They painted Mt. Fuji at the place where they couldn't see it, or even Chinese locations like your scroll.

水雲 roughly means "great nature".

As you might know, there are quite quite so many fakes of Bunchō's works. I've heard that an appraiser said that over 90 percent of his works were fake in a popular TV show. I can't judge whether your seal is authentic or not, but even if the seal is really his real seal, it can be a fake since his pupils could use it freely, as wikipedia says. (And even if the seal is authentic, I would never purchase your scroll...)

文晁は鷹揚な性格であり、弟子などに求められると自分の作品でなくとも落款を認めた。また画塾 写山楼では講義中、本物の文晁印を誰もが利用できる状況にあり、自作を文晁作品だと偽って売り、糊口をしのぐ弟子が相当数いた。購入した者から苦情を受けても「自分の落款があるのだから本物でしょう」と、意に介さなかったという。これらのことから当時から夥しい数の偽物が市中に出回っていたと推察できる。従って鑑定に当たっては落款・印章の真偽だけでは充分ではない。
谷文晁 - Wikipedia

I bought the painting because I like it. Lucky for me it is no real Tani Buncho or I could never have afforded it...

As for the scene, like Mt Fuji, it might be a recognizable village in case it was more often painted, Ofcourse a fantasy place is very likely. But then it might be a "known" fantasy city. Like all gods to me are fantasy, but very recognizable in paintings.

As I understood 水雲山居 is the name of his studio?
Would that be in 下谷 (now in Tokyo?) where he died?

Pupils using Buncho's seal remind me of Dali who sold blank signed sheets. Ebay: "Don't be fooled by Dali's signature on a print. He signed thousands of blank sheets of paper that later were used to reproduce Dali images, usually paintings. "

As for the scene, like Mt Fuji, it might be a recognizable village in case it was more often painted, Ofcourse a fantasy place is very likely. But then it might be a "known" fantasy city. Like all gods to me are fantasy, but very recognizable in paintings.
As I wrote above, it's somewhere in China (including imaginary places) anyway.

As I understood 水雲山居 is the name of his studio?
Would that be in 下谷 (now in Tokyo?) where he died?
I don't know. He also lived in Shirakawa, the present Fukushima prefecture, for instance.

As I wrote above, it's somewhere in China (including imaginary places) anyway.
Apologies for misinterpreting your remark about China, I had misread it as being a possibility.
Looking for Chinese hits I found several paintings that were titled or categorized as水云山居(图 )
So maybe 水雲山居 is not his studio but the name of the painting?

No. It's a general word meaning "living in the great nature" or along the line in Chinese. That's why it's also found on Chinese paintings. Many Bunchō's paintings have that signature. (I found a site that says it's the name of one of his studios, but of course it can be wrong since it simply means "living in the great nature" as I wrote above. He loved traveling and looking at nature especially mountains, as you might know.)

Sorry if this hurt your feelings, but I don't think it's reasonable to search about, er, a poorly-made obvious fake painting...

The way I see it, the only thing fake about this painting is the signature. When I bought it I was fully aware of that. My reason to buy was I like it, and the price was less than what I would have to pay in my home town for an aquarel by an avarage local living painter. My interest in what the picture represents is not dependent on who painted it...
Your comment was much appreciated, since I got to know al lot more about it.

Back
Top Bottom