What's new

Tempura or Sushi/Sashimi?

canadian_kor

Thrill Seeker
19 Jun 2004
Okay all, so what will it be: tempura or sushi/sashimi? Even though I like sushi/sashimi I think it is overrated. I think tempura is the underrated best Japanese food. Btw, does anyone have a recipe for tempura?

Tempura, sushi and sashimi, I love them all! :)

But since there're already so many deep fried in Chinese food. Whenever I go to a J-restaurant, I have to order raw fish. My favorite kind is not special though. It is raw salmon because it tastes so fat. I love fat fat fat. And sake is the most popular sashimi in Hong Kong. But all my Korean female friends prefer tuna. They say Magura is lean lean lean and thus healthier. 🌹

Personally, tempura and sushi are both among the first Japanese food I've tried and immediately love them. However, after coming to Japan and living there for 3 years now, I realise that tempura is the first Japanese food I got bored of. Within just a few months, I almost completely stopped eating tempura and now have it only twice a year. During the 2 first year, I ate sushi in average once or twice a week, but I only have it once a month or so now. Anyway, I think that I am not the only one to forget about tempura quickly after coming to Japan. I've come to like other kind of food, such as makunouchi bento, soba, hijiki or ramen. The longer I stay, the more I appreciate them. :)

Jean-Francois said:
Tempura, sushi and sashimi, I love them all! :gohan:

But since there're already so many deep frieds in Chinese food. Whenever I go to a J-restaurant, I have to order raw fish. My favorite kind is not special though. It is raw salmon because it tastes so fat. I love fat fat fat. And sake is the most popular sashimi in Hong Kong. But all my Korean female friends prefer tuna. They say magura is lean lean lean and thus healthier. 🌹

Actually, you'll find many people who like sake from the various sushi and sashimi. It's my favourite too. But you're right, for some reason Koreans tend to like the tuna over the salmon.

Tempura is okay, but nothing really special, I hafta agree with Maciamo on this one.

I love sushi/sashimi, but it is totally dependant on the quality of the fish. I could eat at Tsukiji every day and not tire of it, but I really don't care for the overpriced low-quality stuff back home (Midwestern US).

My personal favorite so far is o-toro. I haven't seen it outside of Japan, but I'd bet you could find it in places like NYC or Boston. Hida beef sushi was pretty awesome too, but I'm not sure that counts as it is not fish.

Those delicious pancakes ...

I have had beef sashimi at a Korean restaurant on 34th street (midtown Manhattan) New York. It was alright. I like raw fish and mixed seafood kimchi pancake more. I think, beside from Korean BBQ, mixed seafood kimchi pancake is a must try when you go to a Korean restaurant. ✌️

Tempura...

Personally, I prefer tempura. It can be difficult to make--anything involving a pot of boiling oil usually is--but it has a wide range of directions you can take it in, since you can tempura just about anything.

(Ever had tempura-fried banana slices?)

I don't make tempura that often though, because my kitchen always looks like a war zone afterwards and I hate cleaning...

...the third-degree burns from flying droplets of superheated oil are also a discouragement. :embarasse

BTW: So "sake" is also a kind of sushi? Because the only "sake" I'd ever heard of was the Japanese rice wine...

'Sake' ()is 'salmon' in Japanese.

Tempura soba is the best. One of my favorite Japanese foods. I'd rather have that than sushi anyday.

hmm, ive only had tempura a few times... and sushi many more times since when i go, my uneducated friends think that japan's only dish is sushi so we always end up at a sushi bar. Kinda sad

however,the few times i tired tempura, it was really nice, somewhat better than sushi, but maybe in time i will get bored of it... :(

I love both, but my doctor told me to stop with certain types of sashimi because of gut worms. I could eat unagi all day everyday though. And this restaurant near my house does the best chicken tenpura .. yes i know it's not traditional, but it's great.

If I had to choose:
Tempura I love more than sushi.....that is because sushi has become too "main-stream" a dish all over the world!!
Even here in Copenhagen, Denmark, the sushi restaurants and take-away joints have mushroomed all over the city!! There are too many sushi-takeaway places here in Copenhagen.
For tempura you have to go to a decent restaurant....(or have my mother make it) :)

I really miss eating "proper" sushi in Japan..... :)

i would have to go with sushi/sashimi.

the variety of taste and textures just ring my bell (can't beats odori). i find tempura can be a little boring at times unless it's fresh anago tempura.

What is soba tempura? Soba is noodles right? Is it deep fried noodles?

When I refer to tempura soba, I usually mean cold soba with the shrimp tempura on the side. I don't like it in a bowl like soup. I cook the soba, strain it, and then chill it. I keep a little bowl of ten-tsuyu and green onions on the side for dipping both the tempura and the soba in. It's so delicious. I'm getting hungry thinking about it...

RinniGal said:
i like shrimp tempura sushi... my fave next to tuna

I also love tempura rolls. My favorite next to futomaki.

I could gorge on tempura anytime anywhere, but I was it eating so often, that I getting tired of it. Since I keep hearing fish is good for I've gotten hooked on sashimi. There's just something in the way a good, fresh piece of fish just seems to dissolve in the mouth. :) The joys (and wallet pain) of having a great Japanese restaurant here. Probably should switch to Soba or something else. Nerts, now I'm hungry. 🍜

kirei_na_me said:
When I refer to tempura soba, I usually mean cold soba with the shrimp tempura on the side. I don't like it in a bowl like soup.
Cold soba served with shrimp tempura side is typically called "ten-zaru." The origin is:

Muromachi Sunaba (est. 1869)
4-1-13 Nihombashi Muromachi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-1022
phone: +81(3)3241-4038

"Tempura soba" usually means shrimp tempura on warm soba bowl, which had been around before ten-zaru was invented.

tenpura-1.jpg
kirei_na_me said:
RinniGal said:
i like shrimp tempura sushi...
I also love tempura rolls.
They're supposedly not sushi but onigiri variation over there, called ten-musu (musu as in omusubi,) one of Nagoya specialities.

Ten-musu Senju
4-10-82 Ohsu, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 460-0011
phone: +81(52)262-0466

I don't see how food in general can be overrated. Foods, food you either like it or don't like it. Tempura or sushi/sashimi are by far the most popular dishes known from Japan. I like both! My mom cooks everything in tempura batter hahahalolz. I mean everything. I love sushi so much...I want some right now! I know Dim Sum is Chinese, because I'm half.

But, what the deal with Dim Sum? why is it such a popular dish?

Back
Top Bottom