What's new

Teaching jobs in Japan

Josh Shepherd

Registered
27 Mar 2014
Hey guys,

Time for possibly yet another thread about teaching schools!

I'm gonna be graduating university from the UK in a years time and I thought that I should start doing some prep for my applications to one/some of the many numerous teaching schools in Japan. After looking on this forum, there seems to be many knowledgable individuals who could offer a lot of insight to me :)
So, I'm studying Biomedicine, I'm 23 and this whole teaching thing has been quite the life goal for me for some years before I go into my second degree. As time goes on, companies change hands, close down or fall into disrepute so I thought I'd ask some of you what (in your own personal opinion and why) are some of the best teaching schools to apply to?

I'm not fussed where in the country it is, city or countryside, preferably young adults to adults. I'm a pretty sociable guy so I'd like to make lots of friends when I'm there (who wouldn't?) I dunno if thats a factor.

I'm aware that the social climate as well as financial is has been dropping over the past few years but thats not a concern of mine as long as I can find myself somewhere nice to make my own and do some cultural exchange and whatnot.

As a last line of though, do any of you have experience with TEFL certificates? Are they useful at all with application processes and something that prospective employers are looking for? This summer would be my time to complete one if necessary and I feel like I need to be sure I want to splash out on one.

Sorry for the long text, but hopefully this thread can help some other prospectives too :)

Cheers

What exactly are you referring to with the name "teaching school"? I've been here 15 years and never heard of that term.

If you are getting a degree in biomedicine, why on earth would you want to chuck that even before you get into the business world? Scared of what you would face? Then, one opinion is that you shouldn't have even gotten into it. My opinion is that you should learn more about biomed jobs/careers and stick it out before getting into TEFL. I WAS in biotech 15 years before switching to teaching, so I know the value of doing science. Why I switched is probably irrelevant to you because our situations are totally different.

I suggest you also go to the ESL Cafe teacher employment discussion forum and ask around for more specifics about teaching. I'm no longer there.

Glenski's a bit of a forum relic, you'll have to excuse his blunt reply, tho he means well. If you're looking for ESL jobs I'd suggest checking out GaijinPot and Metropolis, possibly the JET programme.

Back
Top Bottom