What's new

Teaching japanese in the US

I think it is fairly competitive and partly depends on what part of the country you live in.

I have met a few people who taught Japanese in Mid/High school. They were usually people who had gone to Japan on the JET program and returned able to speak a certain amount of Japanese. They also had backgrounds including a major in Japanese/Eastern Asian Languages.

But be aware that you would be competing with Japanese nationals (especially on the west coast, but also the rest of the country) for any position. But an American does have an advantage for public education, because of visa issues (unless of course the Japanese person is married to an American).

If you are interested in this, study Japanese and Education and go to Japan.

Apparently teaching in a high school environment is easy enough if you have the language skills. Its when you start getting into university / private teaching that you need various bits of paper to get anywhere (ie. degree, profeciency level, etc).

I'm working on my undergrad degree in Japanese studies and will do an exchange program during my junior year. I do want to do the JET program after graduation. I was just curious about how competitive the field is, especially in universities.

Thanks for the replies, guys

:eek:

I've heard that many ppl have had bad experiences from the JET program and have been screwed over... this is something I heard from my sensei who has heard it from many of her past students who tried this program.

She highly recomended I not do it... Just a lil info. Hope for the best for you (^_^)

I have a number a friends who have done the JET program. They all thought it was fine. You just have to be flexible and willing to live in a Japanese environment.

More than likely, unless you work for a private school, you will need at lest a BA degree. And if you want to work in a University you will need at leat a M.A.

I've always heard good things about JET. I think it probably has the best reputation out of all the schools. I don't know a whole lot about it though. You'll always find people who've had bad experiences (or bad attitudes), so don't let that stop you.

Back
Top Bottom