What's new

teaching english short term

drumbeat

後輩
2 Sep 2006
is there anyway of being more casual when teaching english? such as 3 month contracts? or a month? or part-time hours?

all the companies i find only seem to offer 12 month jobs.

thanks

Its because you can only get a 1yr minimum visa and immigration will not allow you to get a visa unless you can support (work) for the entire period.

Look at getting a working holiday visa and negotiate directly to work a shorter period.

drumbeat,
Help us to help you. How about providing some background material on you? All we know is that you are British (which might make you eligible for the working holiday visa; depends on other circumstances, too).

If you have a bachelor's degree and want to teach English, the possibilities are huge. Only one place I know, however, offers jobs with 3-month contracts (and full visa sponsorship). www.westgate.org Otherwise, you will have to sign a 1-year contract and quit early. That's still doable, but you will probably not even break even on setup expenses if you work less than 6 months.

Short-term contracts are my bread and butter. I contract out to no less than 11 different schools, companies, and organizations in nine different locations some as far as two hours apart (not to mention my own group/private lessons). Clients range from preschools to a cosmetics company to an officer's candidate school at a local miltary base. None of my contracts are longterm (unless I choose to do so) and I continually renew as needed. Glenski is right though, you need to provide us with more specifics in order for us to best advise you on your options.

i'm a british male, 22 yrs old, and i graduated in july (though not a great mark).

i'm just not sure if i would like to teach in japan for a year. im not even sure if i would like teaching.

i am definitely travelling to japan to japan in around 12 months, but im not sure of how long to stay. without a job i reckon it will be around a 6 week stay. thanks for the help so far.

A year contract is not iron-clad. As long as you give a sufficient amount of notice, you can leave any job without any penalty. Two weeks to a month is plenty of warning.

i'm a british male, 22 yrs old, and i graduated in july (though not a great mark).
i'm just not sure if i would like to teach in japan for a year. im not even sure if i would like teaching.

Very little actual "teaching" actually happens, nor is it really expected to happen. So don't sweat that bit.

Drumbeat,

You have a few options.

1. Use your British nationality and get a working holiday visa, good for two six-month stints. You can start work immediately.

2. Use your degree to fulfill the requirements for a work visa, find an employer willing to hire you, and go for it. You can either interview in your home country with the few companies that recruit there, or you will have to fill your pockets with cash and come here (preferably in March) to get the best shot at being hired.

Back
Top Bottom