What's new

Teaching english in japan, what are my chances

Psi-dood

先輩
4 Aug 2004
:? :? :?
What does it take to get an english teaching job in japan if you dont have that college degree? Is this even possible? Can you get certified other ways in order to obtain an english teaching job? If there is a way to obtain an engilsh teaching job in japan without without the college education, what would require? Please helpe thanks everyone!

domo arigatou gozaimashita!
🙂 🙂 🙂

Get a degree. You NEED a degree.

If not for your current job, just for back up and the fact it will up your pay check. Even if you find some way to teach in Japan with English.

If you can afford it, GET A DEGREE!!! :)

(I wonder if I was too subtle...)

Emoni said:
Get a degree. You NEED a degree.

If not for your current job, just for back up and the fact it will up your pay check. Even if you find some way to teach in Japan with English.

If you can afford it, GET A DEGREE!!! :)

(I wonder if I was too subtle...)

Do you want to explain why you were so mean and harsh to him?

Psi-dood said:
:? :? :?
What does it take to get an english teaching job in japan if you dont have that college degree? Is this even possible? Can you get certified other ways in order to obtain an english teaching job? If there is a way to obtain an engilsh teaching job in japan without without the college education, what would require? Please helpe thanks everyone!

domo arigatou gozaimashita!
🙂 🙂 🙂

The question isn't so much one of it taking a degree to get an English "teaching" job as it is a question of it taking a degree to get a visa to do that sort of work.

Emoni said:
Don't start dragging crap into other thread Mike.

What? You're the only one who can be a busybody buttinsky net nanny? I'm allowed to watch out for the tender feelings of others just like you are.

Anyone have any links on to any websites in which I can apply for a teaching job as such? On the college note.. I wish I could of attended college but that is not the case so I am working with what I got. I dont mind if it is not college level, as the cultural experience is rewarding enough and some other personal reasons 😄

I believe nova (Home) has some sort of teaching program that is below a BA requirement, but I know little about it. Sorry, but that is all I know and that might not be quite correct :(

Any job you want to find in Japan will require a degree. They do not bend on this rule (unless you can find a place that will sponsor you while you are getting your degree), but the Japanese are sticklers on the rule. No degree, no job.
Having said that, you probably could teach on the side, under the table (as it were) and possibly make a go with that, assuming you can find a rich group of people who wants your services...how you convince them that, without any credentials, is the hard part...people like to see your credentials, and the simplest one is a degree from some university...
good luck, though...and if you do find work arounds to getting jobs without a degree, do inform us....

I know some Aussies and Brits that work for NOva without a degree, but they use some other weirdo VISA that americans can't get. They also work part time, only five hours a day so the pay isn't grand.

Awesome! My uncle's friend got in on some english teaching program to japan. Cool thing is... he went for it not expecting to get in, so it was kind of a joke. He went to the interview, and got hired, and was shipped to japan in a week! My uncle sais he is so happy over there, and never wants to leave japan ever.

Hrmm.. I prolly should ask my uncle how and where his friend went about this. Any more information on how to do what your Brit and Aussie friends did would be awesome!

D'oh! Right now I am learning japanese from my girlfriend. I notice that my english is turning into engrish, and that I am starting to speak english with a japenese sentence structure. :joyful:

Thank god for the edit button... whew 😌

VISA

As an american you are not entitled to a working holiday visa, and then your option would be a working visa, which requires a college degree. Without it no visa, thus no work.

Its a visa thing.

Psi-dood said:
Anyone have any links on to any websites in which I can apply for a teaching job as such? On the college note.. I wish I could of attended college but that is not the case so I am working with what I got. I dont mind if it is not college level, as the cultural experience is rewarding enough and some other personal reasons 😄

As others have accurately pointed out, the degree requirement doesn't come from the Eikaiwa rackets themselves. As far as most of them care if you have a pulse you are qualified to "teach" English. The degree requirement stems from the requirements for obtaining the necessary visa.

If you were to teach at college level, then a B.A. degree won't cut it anyway.

If you have/get a Japanese spouse, then you can ignore all that bit about having to have a degree for a visa. On a spouse visa you are eligible to do pretty much any type of work you can convince an employer to hire you for. I, for example, have long since cast pride to the side and work as a truck driver here.

Yeah, that spouse visa does work to some degree, but if you want to get that job away from the eikaiwa rackets, then the no degree no job still applies...unless you can convince the boss you have some talent that does not require the degree.
examples of non-degree jobs are tarento jobs (where you become a tv celebrity like Dave Spector or Kent Gilbert or some other expats that cator to what the Japanese expect as a typical gaijin). I hadn't considered truck drivers, but I suppose that makes sense....I suppose construction workers can also be possible, since I hear many illegal immigrants (mostly from the middle east and China) make their living that way, but then you have to worry about the Immigration Raids from time to time....
Easiest way initially is to find a woman and get married with a spouse visa....assuming that you take into consideration that you can get along with the person in question... :D
but then, in the end, getting that degree may end up being the easiest in the long run, because then you won't have to do other crazy things just to get a decent job over there...
peace of mind can be worth its weight in gold, when the alternatives are considered :D

How would I go about the Eikawa rackets for getting a teaching english in japan. My ideal job is to teach little kids(I love little kids by the way and am a kid magnet). I dont mind the low paying jobs, all I want is to go to japan. It will also help me in my current career when I return to the US. Please advise!

Psi-dood said:
How would I go about the Eikawa rackets for getting a teaching english in japan. My ideal job is to teach little kids(I love little kids by the way and am a kid magnet). I dont mind the low paying jobs, all I want is to go to japan. It will also help me in my current career when I return to the US. Please advise!

Since the message doesn't seem to be penetrating, I'll risk a penaltyfor piling on here....

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DEGREE

From what I'v heard, the JET program requires a 4 year degree. Guess it never hurts to apply, qualified or not though. Worst that can happen is... you dont hear back... mmyeap :)

For children, you may be required to get a Master's Degree as well as a Teaching Certificate before they allow you into an actual School setting. I know this is required for those wishing to teach in Universities, as I have a friend that had to do this for his position. And an intensive course in learning how to teach Engrish (I mean English) as a Second Language may also be required. I'll have to ask him if this is current or not....but, yes, you will need to get a degree....no way out of this....sorry :(

:( I am sad now... :(

Wish I could trade my 6 years in the video game industry for ANY college degree... anyone want to trade :)

Probably only about 18 billion young guys would want to do that trade if possible. :p

Back
Top Bottom