What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tanuki statues for the garden

Reaction score
I started this project last year. I wanted a Tanuki for my own garden. I encountered a few problems.

1) They are hard to find in the U.S.

2) When they are seen they are expensive for any decent sized one $$$

3) They are most often earthenware with a big hole in the top of the hat. The bottom is open, but that doesn't matter much for a northern climate where ice and snow are common 5 - 6 months of the year. Even with the open bottom if it freezes to the frozen ground and creates a seal around the base, snow will gather inside through the hole at the top, as the sun shines on it during the day it will melt inside, refreeze at night, and then bust the tanuki. I definitely wanted an all-weather garden ornament.

So I started my project by making one out of pressed paper pulp. It's approximately 18" tall. From concept to making, drying, and sealing this step alone took a year. I was then able to create a mould to cast one in concrete. To my surprise what started out as one for my own garden has caught on through showing pics of my project to friends. They are becoming spoken for almost as fast as I can pour them! The concrete won't be ready to paint for three months though. It takes a long time for concrete to cure properly.
Tanuki in the basement.jpg

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this! I'm looking forward to seeing one of your painted tanuki.

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to do them up right. The best concrete primer seems to be Loxon. I'll be using that, then an outdoor UV stable latex paint, followed by a couple coats of another sealer such as polyurethane. I'm trying to do everything with the highest grade to make these really last. The concrete is fiber reinforced throughout as well.

pauro12

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. That's cute. Anyway, rather that just being cute, what else are there for having one in your garden?👍

Reaction score
Here is an article that a friend found for me. I don't believe in luck, but the history about the skins being used for making gold leaf is interesting. I can see how the prosperity luck could have been attached to them from that. To me they are just funny looking and play off my warped sense of humor. lol

pauro12

先輩
Reaction score
Here is an article that a friend found for me. I don't believe in luck, but the history about the skins being used for making gold leaf is interesting. I can see how the prosperity luck could have been attached to them from that. To me they are just funny looking and play off my warped sense of humor. lol

High Five! :p I don't believe in luck as well, and never will I. Though, I just find it cute that's why I was curious of what it is. ☝

Reaction score
Here is a virtual paint job. : )

Edit: So animated gif files don't work here as attachments..

I'll try it this way.

Edit again: Good grief. The forum won't allow it even from my own host. It corrupts it to a jpg every time no matter what.

If you want to see it, you'll have to go here.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a virtual paint job. : )

Edit: So animated gif files don't work here as attachments..

I'll try it this way.

Edit again: Good grief. The forum won't allow it even from my own host. It corrupts it to a jpg every time no matter what.

If you want to see it, you'll have to go here.

Nice job, David! :)

Reaction score
The 3 months drying time for the concrete is finally passed and they are now being primed. A few others are off to the side still drying after being primed.

tanuki primed 12-6-2013.jpg

Reaction score
They're nearing completion. :)
I figure the kanji will either look like a gaijin did it or it was done by a native speaker who has very bad handwriting. lol

tanuki-12-27-2013.jpg

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Congratulations David! How many tanuki have you produced in total?

PS: sorry you couldn't upload your animated gif, I'll look into that.

Top Bottom