What's new

Take JLPT as high schooler?

82riceballs

後輩
10 May 2007
Hello All!

I'm a high school senior in the US (or will be one in September) and I've recently passed the Collegeboard Japanese SAT II and AP tests, so I was thinking about aiming for the JLPT in December...

Is it possible for a high school student to take the JLPT or are there age restrictions?

However, I was also wondering if there is there any point in taking the JLPT for a high schooler? I've been researching this test but I haven't really found any perks in taking it...

Thanks for any help!

There are no age restrictions as far as I know.

The benefit is that it's the most widely known measure of Japanese language proficiency and gives you a goal towards which to study. It helps structure your studies.

The format changed as of this year so make sure any texts or mock exams you practice with are for the new format, N1 - N5 (not JLPT1 - JLPT4)

One of the benefits of this new format is that it is a better measure of your ability to function in Japanese vs. simply memorize vast amounts of information. The reading/listening process has been integrated so that you must listen/read/comprehend simultaneously; listening to a conversation about 4 newspaper ads for example. It's less 'testy' and more functional.

This is similar to English TOEIC, and also the JETRO business Japanese test, which already used this format.

My humble opinion is that if you're a fan of Japanese and studying as you seem to be, it's fun and educational and taking the test itself is enjoyable. Take it this December and see if you like it. Costs a teeny bit of money but so does everything else in the world.

Good luck

Hello "bakaKanadajin"! Thank you for your thoughts! I really appreciate your help :)

I think I'm going to aim for N4 this December. I've read that it's the same as the original JLPT3...

I passed Level 1 in 2008 at 387 scores out of 400. And I have forgotten about JLPT since then. I would like to know if the new system is more difficult, easier or more or less the same?

Back
Top Bottom