What's new

Sword translation

Dbdam1996

Registered
Reaction score
Got this sword from my grandfather really interested what it says and haven't had any luck on my own.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Donor
Reaction score
What efforts have you made to decipher it on your own? Could you tell us a bit more about your grandpa and how he came across the sword?

PS: it's upside-down.

Dbdam1996

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the position not sure how to rotate, but I have downloaded several translators and just gotten gibberish and have been trying to match symbols online with no luck. So my was assigned to the ship next to the Missouri when the Japanese surrendered we believe that is where he was given the sword but he also talked about while recovering from being wounded he was in charge of some POWs and I was told he was friendly with the group. So we are not 100 percent where he got it. I was hoping for some clue who carried the sword to make a connection there but I have read that information is usually not there
Dan

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
暦應二年辛巳八月十五日
大和國千手院住源吉
Ryakuō 2, Kanoto-mi, 8th month, the 15th (= the 18th September, 1339 Julian calendar)
Genkichi (= the swordsmith's given name) lived in Senjuin, Yamato Province

1)
The inscription says that the Japanese calendar 暦應二年 "Ryakuō 2" is 辛巳 "Kanoto-mi", i.e., the 18th year in the sexagenary cycle, but actually, Ryakuō 2 is 己卯 "Tsuchinoto-u", i.e., the 16th year.

2)
千手院 Senjuin is a school of swordsmith, not a location name, so "lived in Senjuin" is odd.

In conclusion, I'm skeptical about the authenticity of the sword.

Dbdam1996

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the info more confused now after seeing the translation