What's new

Sukiyaki[How to prepare it]

Nuala

Hell's Finest Daughter
15 Jul 2004
So Pachipro's thread got me interested in trying Sukiyaki. What vegetables are typically boiled with the beef slices. Are there any spices I would need?

The hardest vegetables to get for sukiyaki in the US might be the long onions, which can be substituted with scallions, and shungiku(chrysanthemum leaves). Thicker green onions are preferable, but the scallions should work fine. You can get chrysanthemum leaves at the Japaese supermarket in the US, and if you can't find them, spinach could be a good substitute.
Other vegetables used in sukiyaki are tofu, shirataki, mushrooms, carrots etc.

The dashi based sauce with dark soy-sauce, mirin, wine is pretty easy to make. You just need to heat it up well so that the alcohol in wine evaprates.
For dipping, beaten eggs or grated radish in the sauce you get from cooking are very tasty.

Sukiyaki is an easy dish, you just combine all the ingredients in a sukiyaki pan and let them cook by themselves.
Enjoy!

すき焼き

The word sukiyaki is actually Kansai-origin, it was called "gyunabe" in Tokyo.

Thor said:
So Pachipro's thread got me interested in trying Sukiyaki. What vegetables are typically boiled with the beef slices. Are there any spices I would need?
I would say the following, radish, Chinese cabbage, taro or yam, tofu (not really a vegetable but it's a common ingredient I think), shitake mushrooms, bean sprouts..etc

preparation

Here's how to prepare it. My recipe to follow later.

Last edited by a moderator:
usually sukiyaki uses long onion, shiitake, bamboo shoot, bean sprout/moyashi, and tofu. the spices is only mirin, sake, shoyu...no other spices added...japanese food is easier than the western...

here's the ingredients

2 ounces glass noodles
3 tablespoons sesame oil
6 scallions, cut into 1-inch slices
10 shiitake mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
8 ounces chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
4 ounces sliced bamboo shoots or bean sprouts
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds top sirloin, prime or choice grade, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup sake
1/2 cup soy sauce/shoyu
1/2 cup mirin
2 cups Beef Stock, or more as necessary
8 ounces firm tofu

TO PREPARE SUKIYAKI: Cook the noodles al dente according to the package directions. Rinse under cold water and cut into 2-inch lengths. Heat half of the suet in a large heavy saute pan or wok over medium-high heat until it begins to melt. Cooking the ingredients in 2 batches, add half of the scallions, mushrooms, cabbage, and snow peas, and toss to coat with hot fat. Stir in half of the sugar and caramelize the vegetables for about 2 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side and add some of the beef in 1 layer, sear until browned on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes, and then push it aside as it cooks and add more of the beef until you have used half of it; do not overcook.

Add 1/4 cup each of sake and soy sauce, about 1 cup of the stock, and half of the tofu. Bright to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low, add half of the noodles and trefoil, and simmer briefly, until the vegetables are just cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes. Keep warm while you prepare the second batch, repeating the process. Serve in warm bowls with the rice on the side.

Variation

Thanks for posting that recipe.

My version uses thin slices of skinless chicken breast because I don't like all that fat and cholestorol from beef. I also don't like that noodle stuff so I add more veggies--chopped mizutani and sliced round onions.

The best part, of course, is sharing from the same pot at the table with your friends or family. 👍

Back
Top Bottom