What's new

Sugita defeats Mori in online vote for most sexist comment

Buntaro

運動不足
27 Dec 2003
'Ruling party lawmaker Mio Sugita was voted the political figure who made the most sexist remark over the past year, defeating former Tokyo Olympic chief Yoshiro Mori.

'Sugita, a 53-year-old Lower House member, is known for making offensive comments. But the one that won her the most votes in the online contest came in September 2020, when she said that "women can lie as much as they want" about sexual violence.'

(cont.)

I didn't know there was a contest... but I guess congratulations to Sugita for being such a terrible ally to her peers.

I want to see the whole list now. Cringefest 2021.

For reasons unknown, PM Kishida appointed Sugita Mio (杉田水脈) as Parliamentary Vice-Minister at the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. What she has communicated over the past few years is her opposition to and disdain for diversity and minorities. One has to wonder why the PM has chosen to elevate a toxic character like her.

Here's a rundown of the racist and bigoted remarks of someone who called Ainu and Zainichi Korean, who participated in the 2016 United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women in Geneva, "old female cosplayers in ethnic costumes", among other terms.

It's also worth reading her Wikipedia entry:

I meant to post this earlier but forgot. There was news from our favourite LDP fruit cake, Sugita Mio. She is some sort of Japanese Marjorie Taylor Greene, minus the guns. On 26 October, members of the opposition party grilled her in a Diet session, asking her about some of her past controversial remarks and connections to the Unification Church. Mind that she is the parliamentary vice minister for internal affairs and communications and, as such, effectively oversees political ethics.

sugita-mio.jpg

Sugita, named parliamentary vice minister for internal affairs and communications in a Cabinet reshuffle in August, typically said she "would refrain from expressing personal views" when questioned for the first time at the Lower House's Special Committee on Political Ethics and Election Law in the Diet on Oct. 26. The 55-year-old politician was asked her views on the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, better known as the Unification Church, in light of a scandal over ties between politicians and the religious group that emerged in the aftermath of the murder of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on July 8. Kentaro Genma of the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan asked about a tweet Sugita posted in 2016 in which she said "there is nothing wrong with having support and cooperation from members of the Unification Church." She replied, "I'll refrain from expressing my views." When asked to retract the tweet, she explained that "I only meant it is difficult to research the details of my supporters." Exasperated, Genma said, "No one would interpret (the tweet) in such a way."

In 2018, Sugita contributed an article to a monthly magazine in which she took exception to providing administrative support to same-sex couples. "Those people don't produce children. In other words, they are unproductive," she wrote. She was asked to retract the article but again said, "I'll refrain from commenting." She did not apologize for or offer to retract the article. However, she elaborated on her previous brief replies by stating, "Respect for diversity is very important, and I would like to respond by making efforts to create a society in which LGBT people can live comfortably." This prompted Genma to ask, "How can a person who has no regrets and cannot give an answer serve as a parliamentary vice minister in charge of political ethics?"

Another month, another opposition grilling for Sugita-san.

sugita-november-grilling.jpg

This time she retracted her 2014 comment in which she flatly denied the existence of discrimination against women in Japanese society. Today, she proclaimed that "she meant that there was no terrible discrimination against women that could threaten their lives."

Her Nov. 30 explanation on the 2014 statement drew criticism from attendees at the meeting, with one opposition lawmaker pointing out, "Domestic violence can threaten victims' lives."

Also, the ideological world she's living in must be that of some hundred years ago: in 2016, she stated that calls for more kindergartens and nurseries, as well as for separate surnames for married couples, were driven by the Comintern. Today, she retracted this remark.

Separately, Sugita retracted a remark she made in a 2016 contribution to the Sankei Shimbun news site. In the contribution she criticized moves seeking more day care centers and use of separate surnames for married couples, describing them as "driven by the Comintern (an international organization of communist parties) to destroy Japanese families."

Mrs Sugita seems to have embarked on a path of repentance: today, she retracted more of her past controversial remarks she has made against members of the LGBT and Ainu indigenous communities and offered an apology: "I take the harsh criticism seriously. Reflecting on my past expressions, which lacked consideration, I apologize to the people I've hurt and hereby retract them," Sugita said at a session of the House of Councillors Budget Committee."

Why the change of heart?

Prior to the move, internal affairs minister Takeaki Matsumoto said that he told her to apologize for the comments and retract them and that she had agreed to do so.

So not an act of self-reflection and remorse at all.

More news on Japan's Taylor Greene: the Sapporo Legal Affairs Bureau and Osaka Legal Affairs Bureau reprimanded Sugita for human rights violations from her discriminatory social media posts targeting the indigenous Ainu of Hokkaido and ethnic Koreans. They urged her to "become more enlightened about respecting human rights."

She resigned from her position as Parliamentary Vice-Minister at the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications on 27 December 2022 but still serves as a Member of the House of Representatives of Japan.

Sugita is a truly vicious person with an evil agenda: on 1 November, on a YouTube channel for the monthly magazine Seiron, she criticized the system in place for recognizing human rights violations. "There are no regulations that provide the basis for the definition of human rights," she said. On 9 November, she appeared on a YouTube channel for the monthly magazine WiLL, touching on the estimated budget of 6.6 billion JPY (USD43 million) for Ainu policy in fiscal 2024. She then expressed her opinion that there is misappropriation in a government project related to Ainu culture. She accused those involved of exploiting public funds, saying, "They are sucking up public money." During the CDP's hearing on 15 November, Tahara urged the Justice Ministry, which oversees the human rights violation system, and the Cabinet Secretariat, which manages Ainu policy, to respond firmly to Sugita's remarks.

Ryoko Tahara, an Ainu activist (pictured below and mentioned earlier in this thread), is no longer remaining silent but speaking out against a lawmaker's continued discriminatory remarks toward the Ainu indigenous people, which have been officially recognized as human rights violations.

b3c036a75ed27b6d73385d1760946059.jpg

"I'm terrified of what will happen to a society that silently watches a Diet member who incites discrimination," said Tahara, citing recent comments by Mio Sugita, a lawmaker of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, who has a history of uttering offensive remarks.

Busted yet again: Japan's Supreme Court has upheld a lower court ruling that mandates House of Representatives lawmaker Mio Sugita to pay 550,000 JPY (approximately USD 3,680) in compensation to journalist Shiori Ito. The dispute arose from Sugita's "liking" online posts that defamed Ito.

Ito had filed a 2.2-million-yen (about USD 14,700) damages suit against Sugita, an LDP member, claiming that Sugita's likes for posts on Twitter (now X) that slandered her had deeply offended her honour. The Supreme Court's First Petty Bench, on 8 February, dismissed Sugita's appeal against the Tokyo High Court ruling, which had awarded Ito 550,000 JPY in compensation. The high court's verdict in October 2022 characterized Sugita's actions as insulting behaviour that exceeded acceptable limits.

The fine shouldn't impede Mrs Sugita too much, as she's one of the former Abe faction members who received plenty of kickbacks.

It is the first time for the Japanese Supreme Court to recognize liability for damages for "liking" online posts. The five-member First Petty Bench unanimously arrived at the decision, stating that Sugita's claims did not constitute grounds for appealing the lower court ruling. According to the earlier rulings by the Tokyo district and high courts, there were multiple anonymous tweets containing a phrase meaning "Ito screwed up sleeping her way (into a job)" about Ito, who had sued a former Tokyo Broadcasting System Television journalist claiming that he sexually assaulted her in April 2015. Sugita pressed likes for 25 of such posts between June and July 2018. In a March 2022 ruling, the Tokyo District Court ruled out Sugita's liability for compensation over the case because the like button offers only a straight choice between pressing it or not, and even if people like a post, the meaning varies greatly from "lauding" it to a more neutral "not bad," and that it is impossible to tell whether the like is for part or all of the post.

Back
Top Bottom