What's new

Stupid question...

Arc Light

Home...For now...
21 Jun 2004
For some strange reason, I feel the need to ask this to clarify something.

I understand the fascination with Ferris wheels and how they add to the city lanscape, but I'm stunned by the size of the ones I see in Japan. There is one illustrated in the Gran Turismo video game, and I can recognize it when I see it in a picture.

But what I want to know for sure is, all those humongous Ferris wheels, with all the lights on them...are they fully functional? Can a person ride them? If so, so they have a pricey admission or what?

Last edited:
i think they would be but i honestly couldent say lol all i can suggest is to go there and find out!......easyer said then done tho lol

Arc Light said:
But what I want to know for sure is, all those humongous Ferris wheels, with all the lights on them...are they fully functional? Can a person ride them? If so, so they have a pricey admission or what?

It looks kind of romantic if you are not afraid of being electrocuted! 😲

Keiichi said:
Check more out at: 東京夜景写真│NIGHT Windows~東京の夜景 夜景写真を無料でダウンロード
Or perhaps more specifically, the one in Palette town in Odaiba: http://tokyoyakei.cool.ne.jp/tokyo-odaiba-fw.html
It's usable. (waste of money if it isn't... heh) Official site says that one costs 900yen a pop. Or 500yen per person for a group of 6 (as it can fit up to six passengers per box, I guess).
Yeah I know...I posted that link in here. That's where I get my desktops from.

And what do you mean by electrocuted Misa??? As in lightning or what?

misa.j said:
It looks kind of romantic if you are not afraid of being electrocuted! 😲
Well, Odaiba is kind of known for a place for dating.
I doubt you'll get electricuted, but maybe get the jitters from being so high! It's is one of the world's tallest ferris wheels.

Weird... is this part of a fair or something? :eek:
Normally you find those ferris wheels only on fairs or in amusement parks (and the pic doesn't look like the latter).

now that i think about it, i see a lot of ferris wheels in anime, like on inuyasha, sailormoon, cardcaptor sakura...i never really paid much attention to it before though.

ashuri2 said:
now that i think about it, i see a lot of ferris wheels in anime, like on inuyasha, sailormoon, cardcaptor sakura...i never really paid much attention to it before though.
Yes, now that you speak about it... that's true indeed. Never paid much attention to it either.

Arc Light said:
And what do you mean by electrocuted Misa??? As in lightning or what?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be stupid... 🙇‍♂️
It just seems there are so many lights on the ferris wheel, and I was thinking about what could happen if it rained while you are on it.
I'm sure it is made considering in cases of natural disaster, still makes me think twice, though.

misa.j said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be stupid... 🙇‍♂️
It just seems there are so many lights on the ferris wheel, and I was thinking about what could happen if it rained while you are on it.
I'm sure it is made considering in cases of natural disaster, still makes me think twice, though.
I guess you would get a funky new hair style :D

Ahh. That's the one over in Odaiba close to the mall called Venus Forts (I think), the subway station is Tokyo Teleport (I think again). I've been on that with my wife and daughter. I'm looking to see if I can find the pictures we took from inside it. I'm kind of scared of Farris Wheels anyway, so I didn't enjoy it so much but it was fun (I guess). My daughter kept rocking the booth and I was like "No, we're going to fall" (highly unlikely but still she got a good laugh out of it). I don't remember the costs to be honest (maybe it was around 700 yen a person) but I can't remember exactly.

Buddha Smoker said:
My daughter kept rocking the booth and I was like "No, we're going to fall" (highly unlikely but still she got a good laugh out of it).

:LOL: that's always fun to do! I get a kick out of doing that to people...but it's not a good thing to do on a first date... :eek:

Keiichi said:
It is sort of part of a fair, an amusement park type of place called Palette Town (東京お台場 パレットタウン "palette town"), which has some rides, shows, plazas, gaming area, etc. Like some kind of island of fun. :D :D :D

Yes, but quite often it's more a case of them being in the location simply because it has a lot of people and a lot of cash going around (not necessarily a fair)... There is a really great one in Umeda (North end of Osaka) that sits atop the Hep 5 department store; so you're already ~5 stories up when you get on the thing. You can see it all the way from Osaka-jo (castle). There is another good one next to the Osaka aquarium. Whenever I think of ferris wheels I get this nostalgic feeling for Osaka... sigh...

Hmm... I must go find pictures...

Back
Top Bottom