What's new

Stuff for an interview

warriorkalia

先輩
20 Jun 2012
I figured I might as well start a different topic, since I'll probably need more help than just translations.

So, essentially, I needed some help for a list of interview questions I'll be asking a Lolita model. But aside from that, I'm also super nervous- I'm worried I'll be rude and offend her, so I need to figure out a few more things before I call it a day, so to speak.

I'm looking to figure out some stuff. For instance, I'm unsure as to how to greet her. I'm reasonably certain I and my partner wouldn't say something like, "hajimemashite", unless you generally do that during interviews. On that, what would we say? More accurately, what would I say?

Also, what would one say to express one's own opinion about something. Because 'to omoimasu' doesn't seem to fit in the sentence I have written.

"Hajimemashite [your name] to moushimasu." is most common. To add "Kyou wa yoroshiku onegaishimasu." is the best. It's no problem to say "hajimemashite" again in the interview.

Also, what would one say to express one's own opinion about something. Because 'to omoimasu' doesn't seem to fit in the sentence I have written.
What is your sentence?

"Misako san wa honto no ohime desu." So far that's it. I'm a bit lost as to how to make it sound like a belief, rather than a fact. Unless it would be rude to state it as a belief...

"To omoimasu" is appropriate. "To omou n desu" is also good for your case. Although you need to add "sama" to "ohime".

My words about saying "hajimemashite" twice is for a video interview. If not, it's better to start the interview with "Dewa aratamete yoroshiku onegaishimasu" or like that.

Ahh, 'to omoimasu' is okay? Funny, I thought it sounded... odd.
And I had 'sama' at the end of 'ohime' on my paper, I just forgot to type it. Good to know that's okay.

Another one was, "Misako san no saikou no kobu suru mono wa nan desu ka?"

Lord, I'm horrible at this. Sorry to take up so much of your time with this silliness.

As you might know, you need to say "ohime sama da to omoimasu."

What does it mean in English?

Okay, I've heard that phrasing before, just never used it myself. Interesting...

Well then, I'll give a few more a shot, but I keep thinking how bad I am at this. One of my sentences is supposed to mean something like "Do you have any places you would like to visit during your trip?" but when I write it, it came out like "Misako san no ryokou [no aida? chuu? uchi?] ni, nan no mimono ni ikitai ka?" I'm not even sure about the first particle- I keep thinking it might be 'de'.

Forgive my impertinence in bringing this up, but if you're having this much trouble with the questions how do you plan on handling the answers?

My friend is helping me with the answers, but she's out of town right now and can't give me any help with the questions. I know it may seem like I have very little knowledge of the workings of the language, but... well... actually that's probably correct.

"Ni" is appropriate and both "no aida" and "chuu" are correct.

Here's some tips.
What do you say when you want to say just "you would like to visit"?

Do you have any advice? --> Nani ka ADOBAISU wa arimasu ka?
Do you have any places? --> ?(Use the interrogative for location instead of "nani".)

I was sitting here for about 5 minutes trying to reconcile your post with the meaning in my brain. Took forever, but are we talking about "doko ni/he"? In which case, would "Ryokou no aida ni, doko ni [ikitai/mitai] ka?" be more along the lines of what I'm trying to do?

Oh my god, I am so incredibly stupid. Of course that's it. Thank you so much.

I think I might be able to do the rest on my own, more or less. If not, I guess I'll say something and hope for the best.

Just to check, I've got this sentence. It's supposed to mean something like "Are there any countries you would like to visit that you haven't spread Lolita to yet?" So I got "Mada RORITA wo arawasenakatta doko ka ikitai kuni wa arimasu ka?"

Anyone know if I'm on the right track at least?

The whole kiddie pron connotations tied up with the word "Lolita" make questions about spreading Lolita throughout the world a bit off-putting, to say the least.

to spread: hiromeru
(Although I think the intransitive "hiromaru" would be more appropriate here.)

Very close, but to say "Among countries that Lolita fashion has not spread to yet, are there any countries/places..." is more easy and natural.

Okay, let me try that then. Thanks.

So, I guess it would be "Mada RORITA FASSHON wo hiromanai doko ka ikitai kuni wa arimasu?" Or would it be past tense?

mada RORITA FASSHON ga hiromatteinai...

Hiromaru is intransitive, so it doesn't take wo.

Excuse another impertinent intrusion....

Will the young lady not be accompanied by English speakers? Might she not have good English skills herself?

You need to translate "Among countries" part correctly. "Hiromatteinai doko ka ikitai kuni" doesn't make much sense.

Will the young lady not be accompanied by English speakers? Might she not have good English skills herself?
I too believe that's the best.

Which young lady? Me? My coworker? Misako?

If Misako, I have no idea. It would be ideal, but I don't know for certain. I would have thought she would have some sort of translator or somesuch already, but then why would they ask me to bother writing all this out? It's rather frustrating having such a lack of knowledge.
If me, I'm not particularly bad at English. I'm just not good at Japanese.

Among countries? Hmm... "kuni no uchi ni" would be more like "while in [country]"

Judging by your first post, you probably meant more like "Mada RORITA FASSHON ga hiromatteinai kuni ni"

Back
Top Bottom