What's new

study in Japan?

Bran

Registered
19 Jul 2014
Hey there. I'm a 20 years old university student from the netherlands. Next year will be my last year of my bachelor and I want to do a master study abroad. I was thinking of going to Japan because the country has my interrest. So, I searched on the internet for masters in Japan, in english language, related to my study field (earth sciences) and was disappointed that I found (almost) nothing. I think that they only have these masters in Japanese language?

So i got this idea. If I take a year off after finishing my bachelor and spend it in Japan and study the language there (and work there to make this possible) would I be able to achieve the language skills I need for a master study in japanese? I'm not a total beginner in the japanese language (though still far from understanding it) and I have still a full year here at home which I could also use to improve.

I'll try and briefly explain what I've accomplished so far.

- I've learned all vocabulary of jlpt 5 and 4 (and some other random words) with anki learning the words in both directions; both japanese (hiragana/katakana written) - english, and english - japanese.

- I've learned some basic grammer.

- I have listened enough to the japanese language to get used to the sounds and seen as I now have a vocabulary of about 1500 words I can catch some words

- started with remembering the kanji

is it an illusion I can do this or is it well possible?

and if, after that year, I start a master study there would I be able to get scholarship? I saw on a website MEXT scholarships for masters of about 144,000 a month and
*Transportation:
One round-trip ticket
* Tuition:
Exemption of
examination, entrance and
tuition fee

What is required of me to get this or something similar? is there also a posibillity to get something like this for a year of language study in japan?
My idea to pay for those ~ 3 years (2 years master 1 year language) is with a scholarship, by working there and with my starting money of about 1,400,000 yen

please let me know what you think. I know I didn't think this through very well yet but I would appreciate to hear from you people who have experience with this if I'm being realistic.

Back
Top Bottom