What's new

Student Visa/Work: possible or not?

donut87

後輩
4 Jan 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm kinda getting confused about the student visa-work issue:
Is it possible to work right away as soon as I receive a student visa part-time in Japan
(let's say max. 25-30 hours/week)?

Recently I read that some ppl had to wait for many months to get their permission and start working...
that would be bad for me since I'm seriously running out of money -.-

And do you think an Italian can find some job easily in Tokyo/Chiba?
I'm 24 btw, my English skill could be considered as at least fluent and I'm a native speaker of German/Italian (+ lil bit of French).

Moving to Japan was not always my dreams, but I decided to do this since I've been in a long-term relationship with my gf for almost 5 years now. Actually I knew it will be very hard to live in Japan, but well, I'd do everything for this relationship we have. And of course I do love Japan, too! Culture, people, traditions and food. Sometimes I just feel so hopeless about living in Japan,
concerning work/visa etc.

Can you give me any advice what I can/have to do?

ps: sry for asking so many questions in one thread, I thought before I open up too many I better ask you guys those questions in this topic...

You can easily get special permission from immigration to work part-time on a student visa. Otherwise, legally you cannot do that.
Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted
Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

However, to get that permission immediately may not be possible. It will depend on your school. Many prohibit it for the first 2-3 months. My feeling is that they want to be sure you are really serious about committing to your studies and not just using the visa for a stepping stone to land a FT job.

If you are that bad off financially, you may not even be accepted to the school! Think about that first. You will have to prove you can pay all the fees and tuition.

If you'd truly do anything for the relationship....marry the girl and get a spouse visa. Almost no work restrictions with a spouse visa.

Or is marrying the girl the ONE thing you absolutely won't do?

Thank you Glenski and Mike for your posts.

@Glenski: Well, it's not too bad. I've got the money to pay the tuiton costs, I live with my gf in an apartment so we share the costs for rent, bills, groceries and so on. But you know, in order to live without worrying everytime I buy something extra I'd love to work asap. I'll probably inform me about the school's rules about working PT.

@mike: She's the one. :) We might be "young" (23/24) but in the last 5 years we've been through a lot of stuff, but we never regret being together, all those experinces just made the bond stronger between us. Typical soulmates, besides loving each other we're also best friends telling everything to each other. So we considered even getting married. We always wanted to get married when the "right time" has come. But well, how you define the point of time that is "right"? If it is necessary to finally live together and commit to each other our souls we are ready to get married, so we can call it the "right time" I guess.

It's about time to win the jackpot at the lottery :p

Back
Top Bottom