What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

stuck on translation

letslearn

先輩
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I finished the book I was reading. 学校の鏡秘密のとびら?
With great help from this forum I felt good that I finished it. feeling good about that I found another book in the same section to have another try. That might have been a mistake. I'm four pages into the book, and I am in trouble already. My recent confidence shattered (Ha,Ha) I was hoping for some assistance.
In particular is the highlighted parts. There are two boys さとし and めぐる。The character めぐる is 店の奥で。
what is the meaning of そう どなる と 、 さとし を 表 に 引っぱり だす and is the 少女 in この 少女 、 いや 少年 は せっかち らしい. just general or someone in particular.
よろしくお願いします。

ふたりとも 、 かまち 南尖年 1 組 の クラス メート だ 。「 なあ 、 配達 は もう おわり だろ 。 新しい ゲーム が ある ん だ 。 今 から 、 じいちゃん の と ころ に 行っ て いっしょ に やろ う ぜ 」 そう 言う と 、 めぐる は ポケット から 、 携帯 ゲーム 機 を 取りだし て 見せる 。 「 めぐっち 、 新しい ソフト 買っ た の ? いい なあ !! ぼく も やっ て も いい の ? 」 この ? .「 もちろん 昼飯 も 向こう で 食お うぜ 。 むずかしい ところ で 止まっ てる ん だ 。 いっしょ に 攻略 しよ う ぜ 。 おばさん 、 さとし と 、 じいちゃんとこ 行っ て くる ね 。 昼 は あっち で パン食べる から 」 めぐる は , 店 の 奥 で , 電話 を とっ て い た さとし の 母親 に 向かっ て 、 そう どなる と 、 さとし を 表 に 引っぱり だす 。 この 少女 、 いや 少年 は せっかち らしい 。 めぐる は あっという間に 自分 の 自転車 にま た がる と 、 今度 は さとし を 待た ず に 出発する 。 今 やっと 自分用 の 自転車 に またがっ て 、 さ とし が ペダル を こぎ はじめ た とき に は も う 、 めぐる の 姿 は 、 炎天下 の 路上 から 、 こつ然 と 消え て い た 。

mdchachi

Reaction score
そう どなる と 、 さとし を 表 に 引っぱり だす and is the 少女 in この 少女 、 いや 少年 は せっかち らしい. just general or someone in particular.
The way I read it,
Meguru yelled (the stuff about lunch) towards Satoshi's mom who had picked up the phone.
Then he grabbed Satoshi pulling him towards the front.
This girl -- no boy -- is impatient.

The girl (boy) is Meguru. I guess it's a way to say Meguru was acting like an impatient girl??

Anyway that's my best guess. I'm sure Toritoribe-san will give you the real answer.
Normally I wouldn't jump in but since your question just arrived I thought I'd give it a shot.

letslearn

先輩
Reaction score
The way I read it,
Meguru yelled (the stuff about lunch) towards Satoshi's mom who had picked up the phone.
Then he grabbed Satoshi pulling him towards the front.
This girl -- no boy -- is impatient.

The girl (boy) is Meguru. I guess it's a way to say Meguru was acting like an impatient girl??

Anyway that's my best guess. I'm sure Toritoribe-san will give you the real answer.
Normally I wouldn't jump in but since your question just arrived I thought I'd give it a shot.
thank you for your reply. An impatient girl does make sense with all the preparations he is making and then rushing off on the bicycle. I take it that を 表 に 引っぱり だす is a set phrase?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The character めぐる is 店の奥で。
That's めぐるは、[店の奥で電話をとっていた][さとしの母親]に向かって, thus, the one in the rear of the shop is Satoshi's mother, not Meguru. (Is there really a comma after で?)

I take it that を 表 に 引っぱり だす is a set phrase?
No, it's just literal.

letslearn

先輩
Reaction score
That's めぐるは、[店の奥で電話をとっていた][さとしの母親]に向かって, thus, the one in the rear of the shop is Satoshi's mother, not Meguru. (Is there really a comma after で?)

No, it's just literal.
Yes in the book there is a comma after で

Thank you all that really clears it up.

Top Bottom