What's new

Street life..

Noh Cloo

後輩
28 Sep 2003
Questions: I've heard Tokyo is a very safe city, but are there cases where gaijins have been brutalized by Japanese citizens or gangsters? Are there any cities in Japan that gaijins avoid? I plan on moving to Japan(Osaka or Nara, I'm not sure yet) with my wife in a few months and I'm curious about the street life there. I guess living in NYC has made me a little skeptical about how safe a city really is.

-Noh Cloo

roppongi, but that's because of the foreigners :)
no seriously, sometimes the military run up in there thinking they john wayne's grandaddy or something
no offence to any well-behaved military, of course :)

Noh Cloo, you will be shocked. Picture a city larger than NYC. Picture being able to walk *anywhere* in the whole city at 2am -- alone.

Growing up in the U.S. I always thought "bad neighborhoods" and "slums" were a sad necessity. Living in Tokyo really opened up my eyes.

Originally posted by mdchachi
Noh Cloo, you will be shocked. Picture a city larger than NYC. Picture being able to walk *anywhere* in the whole city at 2am -- alone.

Growing up in the U.S. I always thought "bad neighborhoods" and "slums" were a sad necessity. Living in Tokyo really opened up my eyes.

...that sounds perfect :)
I somehow love walking alone in the night,in the city, just watching the lights and the people. I don't do this often anymore though, but I used to,when I went _a lot_ to parties&clubs. Then my friends used to be a bit horrified, "How can you walk all alone in the middle of a night?? Someone could attack you and rape you!"...but I have always felt safe here. When I was in Russia though, there, I have to say, I wouldn't dare to go around just by myself...
Well.Tokyo nights, maybe I'll spend some time with them in the future..

Even though Tokyo is said to be safe -please don't go walking late at night alone! A workmate of a friend was brutally attacked while walking alone, by two men. She is in a serious condition.
Tokyo might be safer than a lot of cities, but it's far from perfect so please take care. - don't take chances

doubt that
in a fight? i bet everybody would end up in jail
25 people scrapping would be an international incident

Well I was picturing urban Tokyo when I said that. There's usually other people around. Of course there are predators in Japan just like anywhere else and I agree it's best to be careful. My main point is that there really are no specific neighborhoods where you are sure to be in danger. In the U.S. there are many such places.

I got seriously hassled by Yakuza this summer for skateboarding around the Milano Theatre and Liquidroom nightclub in Shinjuku's Kabuki-cho district,

One of them approached me and started swearing like crazy, I smiled (the dude was 3' nothing) I then got on my skateboard, went around the corner, came back and kept skateboarding in the same spot after he had gone back to his posse.

Well to make a long story short I had all these traffic-cones set up, a huge group of people taking my photo/video recording me with their cellphones and all the sudden like something out of a Jurassic Park Raptor attack I looked around each corner of the area and four cops from every angle were running at me, I froze, they detained me and I got in a lot of ****.

I guess what happened was the Yakuza Mafia instead of kicking my *** called the cops on me, so heh that just goes to show that even if you step on toes there really are no violins of violence in Tokyo.

Josh

Originally posted by budd
3 feet folks will jack a brother up :)

Key word: folks; plural. Heh.

I still think Japan is the safest place in the world for people to travel to, just don't be stupid and piss the seedy gang members off.

Josh

Gangs calling the cops...That's a first.At least to me it is.Gangs will usally jump you and rob you.I know some gangs some are racist against types of pepole.So I guess that Japanese gangs just don't like forigeners.There afrid of change maybe.But I think anywhere in any country it is not safe to walk by yourself at night.That's what I think and belive unless you can defend yourself from a couple of pepole at the same time. I fought 3 pepole at once before and its not easy at all....But in the day where there's lots of pepole its safe no one will Just walk up to you in there morning or the afternoon.At least I think.

Originally posted by MagicalMagican
Gangs calling the cops...That's a first.At least to me it is.Gangs will usally jump you and rob you.I know some gangs some are racist against types of pepole.So I guess that Japanese gangs just don't like forigeners.There afrid of change maybe.But I think anywhere in any country it is not safe to walk by yourself at night.That's what I think and belive unless you can defend yourself from a couple of pepole at the same time. I fought 3 pepole at once before and its not easy at all....But in the day where there's lots of pepole its safe no one will Just walk up to you in there morning or the afternoon.At least I think.

Hey are you talking about America because seriously to whomever is going to Tokyo, IF you assume Japan is un-safe, you stay behind the locked doors of your hotel at night and only go outside during day/day-light well then I'm sorry because you'd then be missing out on 3/4 of Tokyo.

Josh

I left a leather coach backpack with camera, money, passport ,wallet and more on the train and when I got home an hour later phoned the station and it had been returned to lost and found.

How honest is that?

In a train full of people?

Hate to tell you this but calling the lost and found was kinda dumb.SOmene probally jacked your stuff the second you left it.(Just my opinon.)

Back
Top Bottom