What's new

Starting Up a Business - Selling Used Japan Stuff in the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeDamien

Registered
28 Apr 2015
I've some Japanese friends who are sending their old stuff to the Philippines for their family's use. I am thinking if it will be a good idea to make this a business in the Philippines. Thoughts?

I am currently residing in Philippines with my small business where I sell kitchenware. Many people here are buying second hand items as long as they are still usable. There is nothing wrong with that since money is hard to earn. I'd like to know your ideas if anyone has tried this before.

(1) I'd like to know where to get used items from Japan, hopefully for free and then
(2) the shipping cost to Philippines (Hopefully the lowest so I can get margin for the stuff).

I'd like to weigh if this will work out. Any idea would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Your cheapest shipping option would be to use a transmodal container. You can pack as much stuff into one as you like, up to the weight limit. There are foreigners in Japan operating similar businesses shipping usable items to their home countries for resale. They typically have a business location/office in Japan where they collect their goods and load the container for shipping.

You can search online for container shipping rates to get an idea of the shipping cost. Here is one, for example:

SEA FREIGHT MANILA, PHILIPPINES TO YOKOSUKA, JAPAN CONTAINER SHIPPING COSTS FOR SEA FREIGHT | Sea freight Calculator

As you can see, a larger container is more economical. Whether to use a 20' or a 40' depends on things like the volume/weight of things you have to ship, how large a truck can get into the area where you want to receive the freight or where you will be loading the container, etc.

Note that the costs may not include the cost of hiring a trucking company in Japan to pick up the container, take it to be loaded, and then return it to the port for export. Similarly, it may not cover the cost to pick it up at the port, deliver it to you for unloading, and returning the empty container to the port. There may also be charges for Customs clearance. You would need a place large enough to collect a container load of goods in Japan, and a place large enough to hold a container load of incoming goods in the Philippines.

It is also possible to ship partial container loads (your goods get consolidated into a container with other partial loads headed to the same port). Goods have to be trucked to the port, loaded into the container, unloaded at the destination port, and then trucked out. Again, each of these adds expenses and if your goal is the absolute cheapest shipping costs then your best option is hiring the whole container. This is known as "LCL" (less than container load) and freight rates are charged per cubic meter.

There are many companies/brokers who can take care of this sort of thing for you, as it is their specialty. The biggest problem and expense you would have is going around Japan and finding, collecting, sorting, cleaning, refurbishing, repairing, and storing the goods you want until you get enough to fill up a container. I would think you would need to rent a location in Japan and perhaps have a small truck to use to gather things.

EDIT:

"Intermodal" container, not "transmodal"

Also you should check the import duty in Philippines. In many countries you have to pay tax even when importing used (second hand) goods.
When importing something for personal use, often you do not have to pay import duty (though it varies depending on the country) but when you are importing used goods for commercial purposes, you have to pay import duty.

If the goods you have in mind is something breakable (like kitchen tools and wares, electric appliances, etc.), you need good export packing - especially when you are sending the goods as LCL cargo, and if the goods are not so cheap, you might want to insure the cargo.

Sending something abroad personally things are rather simple but when it comes to business, there are may costs involved, also you need appropriate process for export/import. Unless you can find the way (and good partner) to arrange the things very efficiently, it may not pay off as you expected.

I think its unlikely there is any meat on this. You'd be shipping from a country with a high price index and selling in a country with a lower one. Normally its the other way around.
Even if the items in Japan are somehow obtained for free yet still valuable (??), and unique/better than whats available locally in the Philippines, all the misc acquisition costs (transport, shipping, Japanese wages etc) would be in Yen (high), and the sales would be in Pesos (low).

I think its unlikely there is any meat on this. You'd be shipping from a country with a high price index and selling in a country with a lower one. Normally its the other way around.
Even if the items in Japan are somehow obtained for free yet still valuable (??), and unique/better than whats available locally in the Philippines, all the misc acquisition costs (transport, shipping, Japanese wages etc) would be in Yen (high), and the sales would be in Pesos (low).

Yet there are many entrepreneurs who already do it. Never underestimate the economy of shipping via intermodal container when you hire the whole container and do the loading/unloading yourself. You can pack an amazing amount of stuff into a forty foot high cube container.

Hello, I am from Indonesia. Do you have any information about web or list of japan supplier that sell used item? Please let me know

Hello, I am from Indonesia. Do you have any information about web or list of japan supplier that sell used item? Please let me know

Did you read this thread? Or did you just simply hijack it?

Yet there are many entrepreneurs who already do it. Never underestimate the economy of shipping via intermodal container when you hire the whole container and do the loading/unloading yourself. You can pack an amazing amount of stuff into a forty foot high cube container.
Forty foot CUBE!? holy moly that's enormous!

Hi, I'm living here in Japan and I'm doing this business, I have supply of mixed used goods in 20-40 ft. container that we can ship to your country. Please let me know your needs. Hope to hear from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm living here in Japan and I'm doing this business, I have supply of mixed used goods in 20-40 ft. container that we can ship to your country. Please let me know your needs. Hope to hear from you.
I am wanting to do something like this as well. Have you sent a container to the US?

In the case a person ( even if he is non resident of Japan ) purchases used items in Japan for business purpose, he needs to obtain license of secondhand dealer ( Kobutsu sho ).

Hi Jun collado,
pls contact me, i am interested in this business, i am living in singapore, pls contact or apps at +65-82596422

hi!im interested in opening a store in the philippines.can you please contact me.

When a bunch of fly-by posters ask another fly-by poster to contact them
tenor.gif

Honestly, I don't know why people go through all the trouble to register so they can post once.

Hi, do you still do this business?

i want to know more information about Used goods in Japan.
NVQ

Hello Mr. Jun Collado,
I am interested in the business. Can you send me message how I can contact you via my email.

Hello, I am Japanese and live in Fukuoka, Japan.
We exports Japanese surplus such as furniture, kitchenware, ornament, household goods, toy, figure, sports goods, musical instrument and so on to abroad. So contact me if you are interested in importing Used Japanese products from us. Here is our face book page and web site for your reference↓
Export Japanese Surplus - Home | Facebook
MrShogo - Japanese Used Products Wholesale Exporter
Hello, Mr. Nakamura, I am planning to put up a showroom of household used goods in my place here in Cavite Philippines, May I know, How is your processing, how much is your selling, do you Have quotations ? how does it goes. Just to have an idea for me because it's my first time , I want to know details. I'm hoping to do business with you soon. Thank you .

My wife has an online business selling shoes, bags, and toys, all new, in the Philippines. We need to find a broker or company that we can use to ship by container, shared preferably, to metro Manila. Anyone know good shippers who can help?

Hi to all members. I am Indian & wa nt to buy secondhand stuff from japan. Anybody have information about it? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom