What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Spouse Visa Information

dave731

後輩
Reaction score
Hello guys, first i wanna say sorry for my bad english.
I'm italian guy, last year i married a japanese girl.Actually we are living in Italy.
We wann move to Japan before the end of this year to start a new life there.
We contact immigration office in Tokyo but it sounds very hard make the practice from outside japan to get SPOUSE VISA.
So my question is:if i go to Japan with my wife (at this point just with tourist VISA) can i produce all the documents directly there?
while i'm waiting for my proper VISA is it possible work?Or i need VISA first??

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Getting a spouse visa is not as sample as rocking up to immigration and have them stamp your book. They do checks these days and this takes time, so your tourist visa may expire and you will need to exit the country and re-enter. I would consult the Japanese consulate in Italy, you should be able to get the visa from there.

dave731

後輩
Reaction score
Getting a spouse visa is not as sample as rocking up to immigration and have them stamp your book. They do checks these days and this takes time, so your tourist visa may expire and you will need to exit the country and re-enter. I would consult the Japanese consulate in Italy, you should be able to get the visa from there.
thanx for your fast reply!
i already consulted Japanese consulate in Italy but they need "certification of eligibility" from japan...So you mean if i go to japan with my wife there no ways to stay there with her?even if i'm his husband?If tourist VISA expire i have to leave the country?
Thanx again!

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
It's a pretty straightforward process, whether from Italy or Japan. Go to the Japanese embassy/consulate near you in Italy. Fill out the forms and get the visa before you come. Sounds like that office is confused. The application for COE comes first, yes, but that's easily done from where you are now. You don't have to come all the way to Japan to do that.

If you come here to do all the visa processing, as long as your application is in, you do not have to leave the country after 90 days.

In either case, if you don't have a job here, your spouse (if she has a job here) or her family will have to serve as guarantor. Simple enough, but keep that in mind. Depending on circumstances, you might be asked to provide photos of the two of you together, but you will probably have to have her complete a form in Japanese describing how you met, courted, and spent time together after the wedding. Again, pretty straightforward.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Once entered on a tourist visa and changed to a spouse visa. Immigration wasn't happy about it, but they processed it anyway.

When I submitted the papers, I asked about working while waiting for the spouse visa. The answer I got was, "Well, you've got a family you have to feed...." In other words, "It's not allowed, but we're not going to do anything about it".

I will point out that I had been married for about 13 years at the time and had lived in Japan on a spouse visa before, so both immigration and I knew there was no doubt I would get the visa.

If you've been married a short time and immigration asks for photos or documents to prove you're not in a fraudulent marriage just to get a visa, then don't push your luck by working before the spouse visa is issued.

Top Bottom