What's new

sports:: Soccer / Football

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

moyashi

後輩
Reaction score
Japan's soccer has been around for quite a while. Their main professional league "J-league" was created a larger group of teams which are now called "J-2" conveniently.

With the World Cup popularity of soccer is probably at it's peak with view percentages up close to 60% ... hehe well the Japanese team was playing.

Much talk has been going on that with the level of play of the World Cup teams that watching J-league is going to be boring.

I wonder since Japan has been able to gather a few good players to come and play with J-league teams like Mboma from Cameroon.

I really like that another sport besides baseball is finally coming to maturity in Japan and with the Japanese team's recent victories hopefully soccer will enjoy a much larger audience.

samuraitora

先輩
Reaction score
I can definately see why American football has not taken off over there. They seem to be a little to refined for that. Same with hockey. Go Red Wings!

Soccer (european football) is great and is gaining a lot of steam over here in the states. Kids most popular sport to play is now soccer, or so I was reading.

I think it is kinda funny how in the 70s and 80s, the martial arts boomed over here and now it is hard to find another enthusiast.

(^_^)
samuraitora

moyashi

後輩
Reaction score
Must be that movie themes have changed. Hehe, I was a big Martial Arts nut back then, a friend from high school even opened his own dojo :)

Football is somewhat popular in universities along with rugby. Jr. and Sr. High school kids either study or play sports in school. ;-)

Also, it probably has something to do with how the fans support their favorite teams, aka Hashin Tiger Fans. Going to the ball game is more like joining a cheeryelling team! I miss kicking back and enjoying a hotdog and a beer. Lots of ball games you need earplugs to block out the cheering and drums plus you miss seeing a good hit. On a side note, you have to give back all foul balls. urrrrrrr

Top Bottom