What's new

Specific Japanese Rock?

Johnathan

先輩
25 Apr 2003
Just about all of the American music I listen to is rock and metal and such. And I love Japanese music, but I can't find any Japanese rock that I like. Here's a list of American bands I like...

Nirvana
Soundgarden
KoRn
Offspring
Green Day
Lostprophets
Grey Daze
CKY
Metallica
TRUSTcompany
Linkin Park

From that list, can anyone reccomend any Japanese bands to me? I don't like Dir en Grey. Some of the guitars in a few songs I heard were kinda sorta okay, but I don't really like the vocals. Plus, I'm kinda trying to avoid any band with make-up, fancy hair/clothes, and/or anything that slightly resembles an 80's hairmetal band. -_-; I want a band about music, not image, I guess.

Thanks.

you don't like dir en grey? hum... x-japan is good i think, if searching for metal-ish. i like it. or... maybe you should try something like dir en grey, but still different x] baroque, kagerou, mucc and so. okay maybe you don't like them because their style, but sorry i can't help then :p but hey, maybe someone else can^^ good luck.

I've heard all of them (except Mucc), and that's kinda the style of rock/metal that I'm not looking for... pretty much all the typical music that comes to mind when thinking of the term "J-rock". There was one band recommended to me, Mongol800 who I liked. But in my opinion, they coulda been a little bit heavier... I dunno.

Greetings!

Have you tried Siam Shade at all? They weren't very big into the glam, "visual" style... and I've always felt like their guitar work was the most crisp of many of the mainstream rock artists in Japan. It's sad that they're defunct as a group now... but their style ranges from more pop rock songs to considerably heavier numbers...

Hope this helps...

🙂

Ok, well I only really listen to one japanese rock band, and thats deff. The Pillows... If youve heard or seen the anime called FLCL (furi kuri) then youve heard of these guys.
I highly recommend them, and for some starting songs... hmm..
I think I can, hybrid rainbow, ride on shooting star, little dinosaur... hmm.... anyway... look them up

I'd say try SADS. Luna Sea's sort of rockish. Some others would be SEX MACHINEGUNS, PIERROT, maybe Psycho Le Cemu. These ones are just some rock-type bands I didn't see listed. The J-Rock bands I listen to most of the time have always been GLAY and L'Arc~en~Ciel (HYDE's latest single was pretty rockish). Then there's a lot of Luna Sea, Dir En Grey, hide, and X Japan, a.k.a. the rest of the good J-Rock.

But that's just my opinion.

Underground music

If you want to listen to real music, you should chek out under ground music.
I really can understand what kinds of bands you're trying to avoid. It's very hard to find a real band about music in Japan.
But they certainly exist.

My #1 favorite band is Invisibleman's Deathbed.
I know Almost all people don't know them...but they are really great!! You can get their CDs at Tower Records etc. Their performance is awesome!! They have shows at Shinjyuku LOFT in Tokyo and in other places. You better go and see them! You can get their info at http://tq.m78.com/deathbed/eee.html
Hope you like them...

J rock
hmm ツャツャ lets see I think the Cd's over here ...
here it is Kagrra seems to be J rock ^-^; I dont like it very much but its rock and its J :p so it seems to be what you are looking for 😊 lets see there are others (taking the dust out of her J rock Cd)
Aliene Mariage
D sire
Kagrra
X japan
this are all my clasified as J rock bands if you need Mp3 Ill be glad to share some contact me at My msn servise in hotmail Bye
🙂

I just started listening to jrock, starting at The Pillows. Theyre pretty good, but aren't there bands much heavier than this in japan?. and if so, can anyone name them?

I've found one Japanese band I absolutely love. Oblivion Dust. I also like Takui and The Back Horn. But still, I'm having a little trouble finding other music that I like as much as that. I'll try you guys' suggestions.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU SIAM SHADE AND THE PILLOWS... BUT THAT'S MY TASTE...

J-ROCK:
MOI DIX MOIS
MIYAVI
PIERROT
KANA
MALICE MIZER
X JAPAN

IF YOU SEARCH IN JROCKERS.CJB.NET , YOU ARE GOING TO FIND WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS MUSIC FOR FREE.

SEE YA...

J-Rock 4 Ur Head

It has that album and some other J-Rock albums. They have more albums on their ftp site. I only saw the one Oblivion Dust album, though. I might download it soon. I don't know what they sound like, and I'm very curious.

Edit 1: I just tried it today. The link didn't work. When I downloaded the hide albums from there, everything was working. Now the Oblivion Dust album doesn't work. Sorry about the misinformation. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Originally posted by BlackExodus
Now the Oblivion Dust album doesn't work. Sorry about the misinformation. Good luck in your search!

That's alright. I did get the Fake? album from that site, which is the lead singer of Oblivion Dust's new band. But the entire album is in English, which doesn't make it much different from normal rock. But it's still good. Thanks.

Moi dix mois

pain/ I tried to find you In msn (could't ) the translation for moi dix mois is

moi
pron. ツ?pers. ツ?
1.ツ?Yo

dix
adj.-m. ツ?
1.ツ?Diez. ツ?
2.ツ?adjectifツ?Dテゥcimo.

mois
sustantivo masculino. ツ?Mes. ツ?2 ~. ツ?2 meses. ツ?

entonces quiza es algo asi como MI DECIMO MES o_O supongo yo

si averiguo mas te digo byyeee
😌

(to all members Pain is a ツャツャ friend of mine we are both south american ppl >< and I dont wanna write this again in english its not very important just answering his question about what moi dix mois means >< so dont get mad at me for writting it in spanish apollogies :sorry: )

J-rock that I like:
Malice Mizer
L'Arc~en~Ciel
Plastic tree
Dir en grey
X-japan
Luna sea

I like them so much.
They have a great music and a great lyrics.
First time I hear J-rock Is Laruku. they played so well in Live.
J-rock are not like western music. they have sence of art in many ways.
I like it so much. not like hard music that we can't hear it clearly.

:)

have you tried +D'espairsRay+? it could sound little like marilyn manson, but... better.

i think that you will find some good japanese band, if you like metallica, linkin park, korn, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom