What's new

Soy milk in Japan

Haruparu

Registered
26 May 2014
How easy is it to acquire soy milk in Japan? I'm not vegetarian, but strongly dislike dairy products and try to avoid them whenever possible. Here in Australia soy milk is relatively common and affordable, but I've never heard anything about dairy alternatives in Japan.

I'm also a coffee drinker and would like to know if coffee shops serve it or not.

How easy is it to acquire soy milk in Japan? I'm not vegetarian, but strongly dislike dairy products and try to avoid them whenever possible. Here in Australia soy milk is relatively common and affordable, but I've never heard anything about dairy alternatives in Japan.
I'm also a coffee drinker and would like to know if coffee shops serve it or not.
Japanese Snack Reviews: Kikkoman Marron Soy Milk
Lost In Translation: Soy Milk in Japan

Prevalence in coffee shops will vary

Soy milk is quite common in Japan, you can find them easily in most supermarkets and many convenience stores. There are two types, real soy-taste soy milk (you can make tofu from some of them) and those adjusted and flavoured.
Recently some supermarkets started selling almond milk as well, import from the US I believe. It is still rather rare, not so common nor well-known yet.

Soy milk is usually sold in cartons, 1 litre or 250ml. Prices are similar to milk, or slightly higher, it depends on the brands and types.
Soy milk is called 豆乳(とうにゅう) tōnyū, meaning "bean milk".

Back
Top Bottom