What's new

South park makers fluent in Japanese. Or not?

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
naratte

日本語がならって。

I am learning japanese.

Is this correct?

What's great about this show (It has some funny parks. It's kind of a love hate thing. I don't like alot of the content in the show as alot of it is stupid, but the creator of the show is fluent in japanese and I got a response from him!)

Here's what he said:
Q. - I have a friend who lives in Japan, and he's a Vegan and likes PETA. Should I show him the transcripts for that "Chinpokomon" episode (I know alot of japanese) or would he be offended? Thanks!
A. - If he gets offended, remember, the proper response is "Jodan desu!"

Of course I don't know ALOT of japanese but I said it anyway. 😅

This is how I learned "it's a joke"

So I replied: South Parkは見て。

Should I use "ima" as well?

I"m watching south park right now.

Sounds like overkill since "mite" is already present progressive.

You can see the FAQ here:
Blog - Faq Category - South Park Studios

Haven't we told you like a million times already that 見ている is present progressive? You need the "IRU" after "mite" to make it present progressive, not just "mite" by itself.

South Parkを見ている = I'm watching South Park.

What you said, "South Parkは見て" is something along the lines of "As for South Park, watch!"

Bucko said:
Haven't we told you like a million times already that 見ている is present progressive? You need the "IRU" after "mite" to make it present progressive, not just "mite" by itself.
What you said, "South Parkは見て" is something along the lines of "As for South Park, watch!"

Oh, that's right.
South Park wo mite iru.

I see

What about the present progressive polite form?

South park wo mite imasu.

Right?

Why are you using "iru" ? Shouldn't we use the polite form in this case?

Yep, "South Parkを見ています" is more polite because it uses "imasu" instead of "iru". You would use the polite forms in the following cases:

- when talking to people older than you
- when talking to people more superior than you (like your boss)
- when talking to people you're meeting for the first time
- when talking to customers
- when you want to brown nose

Bucko said:
Yep, "South Parkを見ています" is more polite because it uses "imasu" instead of "iru". You would use the polite forms in the following cases:
- when talking to people older than you
- when talking to people more superior than you (like your boss)
- when talking to people you're meeting for the first time
- when talking to customers
- when you want to brown nose

What about talking to strangers? Indeed, I have talked to these folks in the past but it's possible that a stranger may answer it.

I think it would be quite rude to use the "iru" form when you meet people on the streets to ask for directions, etc, wouldn't it?
(Talking to strangers, that is)

Bucko said:

I noticed in "I am yan san" skits, they use "Kore o" and "this" is the object for some reason.

Usually its like this: Kore o shinbun. (I'd like this magazine )

I guess this makes sense. After all, if I used "wa", would that make sense:
As for the magazine, this.

What about "ga' though as the subject? How could you "roughly" translate that?

Still, I'm a bit baffled by "o" in this case. I suppose its subsisted when asking politely?

And no, this isn't very complicated japanese.

Inf act, if I want to ask something: Chocolate o ichi-mai kudasai.

I'd like one chocolate [bar] please.

Of course, "chocolate" is not spelled correctly here, but its just used as an example.

GoldCoinLover said:
What about talking to strangers? Indeed, I have talked to these folks in the past but it's possible that a stranger may answer it.
I think it would be quite rude to use the "iru" form when you meet people on the streets to ask for directions, etc, wouldn't it?
(Talking to strangers, that is)
Umm, wouldn't "talking to strangers" come under the "people you just met for the first time"? Use your common sense.

GoldCoinLover said:
I noticed in "I am yan san" skits, they use "Kore o" and "this" is the object for some reason.
Still, I'm a bit baffled by "o" in this case. I suppose its subsisted when asking politely?
Of course, "chocolate" is not spelled correctly here, but its just used as an example.

They wouldn't be saying "kore o shinbun", they'd be saying "kono shinbun" which we talked about in depth the other day.

Yeah. If you talk to a stranger, you wouldn't want to use the いる form.

That said, I agree with a lot of other people here, I think that you should probably slow down and not try to understand everything at once. doinkies didn't learn the て-form and ~ながら~ until I took the intermediate Japanese class, and I only learned the dictionary form of verbs at the very end of the beginning class I took. Since you are just starting, doinkies suggests concentrating on making simple sentences like 「サウスパークをよく見(み)ますか?」「はい、よく見ます。大好き(だいすき)です。」. Things like that. And also, really look at your book.

For that matter...

新聞(しんぶん) = newspaper
雑誌(ざっし) = magazine

And also, yes, the people in the Yan-san skits would probably say この新聞. これを新聞 isn't proper grammar.

GoldCoinLover said:

"wo" を is used after the noun that is affected by the verb. E.g.

"South Park wo mite imasu" (I'm watching South Park) - South Park is the thing that's being watched so therefore 'South Park' has "wo" after it.

"Hamburger wo tabete imasu" (I'm eating a hamburger) - the hamburger is the thing that's being eaten so therefore 'hamburger' has "wo" after it.

"Beer wo nonde imasu" (I'm drinking a beer) - the beer is the thing that's being drunk so therefore 'beer' has "wo" after it.

"Music wo kiite imasu" (I'm listening to music) - music is the thing that's being listened to so therefore 'music' has "wo" after it.

"Letter wo kaite imasu" (I'm writing a letter) - the letter is the thing that's being written so therefore 'letter' has "wo" after it.

Understand?

doinkies said:

That said, I agree with a lot of other people here, I think that you should probably slow down and not try to understand everything at once. doinkies didn't learn the て-form and ~ながら~ until I took the intermediate Japanese class, and I only learned the dictionary form of verbs at the very end of the beginning class I took. Since you are just starting, doinkies suggests concentrating on making simple sentences like 「サウスパークをよく見(み)ますか?」「はい、よく見ます。大好き(だいすき)です。」. Things like that. And also, really look at your book.

For that matter...

新聞(しんぶん) = newspaper
雑誌(ざっし) = magazine

And also, yes, the people in the Yan-san skits would probably say この新聞. これを新聞 isn't proper grammar.

「サウスパークをよく見(み)ますか?」

Are you using mite as in "mi"?

This is what I get
Sausupaaku wo yokumimasu ka?

Yoku means to be skilled in, and mimasen means to watch (past tense)

What is sausupaaku? A sausage?

Do you like to be skilled in looking at sauage?

I'm sure "yoku" has some other meaning I'm not aware of.

But the response, says that the person likes it very much.

By the way, this is how they'd use it as a request: これを新聞ください。

doinkies said:

For that matter...

新聞(しんぶん) = newspaper
雑誌(ざっし) = magazine

And really look at your book.

My book is conversational only, and I have 2 of them. So, do you suggest websites, to look at the books, or to look at "I am yan san" videos every other day (each one is 30 minutes)?

GoldCoinLover said:

That sentence makes no sense.

この新聞をください (KONO shinbun wo kudasai - "this newspaper please") is correct, like we told you before. Why don't you read our replies??

Bucko said:
That sentence makes no sense.
この新聞をください (KONO shinbun wo kudasai - "this newspaper please") is correct, like we told you before. Why don't you read our replies??
I read every reply you people make.
Why are you so impatient?
It's hard to remember so much, and I've always had trouble with "kore" and "kono", in fact, I'm sure they used "kore".
A noun is always after "kono", unlike kore.
I've explained many times I am a slow learner.

:arghh: I'm impatient myself. I'm going to try and leave these forums for awhile to let people chill, since everyone is on my nerves now.

Sorry for seeming inpatient, but when you're only a beginner you have to be careful about what you post, as other beginners might take it as "good Japanese". It's probably best to say something like "I think it's...because...but I could be wrong", when you make a post.

GoldCoinLover said:
「サウスパークをよく見(み)ますか?」
This is what I get
Sausupaaku wo yokumimasu ka?
Yoku means to be skilled in, and mimasen means to watch (past tense)

No...."yoku" here means "often". And "mimasen" is the negative of "to watch", not the past tense.

What is sausupaaku? A sausage?

It's "South Park".

Do you like to be skilled in looking at sausage?

I have yet to get that much in touch with my feminine side.

(It means, "Do you often watch South Park?"....though "Do you like to be skilled in looking at sausage?" is much more interesting.)

No....that is how you are mishearing it.

mikecash said:
No...."yoku" here means "often". And "mimasen" is the negative of "to watch", not the past tense.
It's "South Park".
I have yet to get that much in touch with my feminine side.
(It means, "Do you often watch South Park?"....though "Do you like to be skilled in looking at sausage?" is much more interesting.)
No....that is how you are mishearing it.

MikeCash, they wrote it up. I'm 100% sure they used "kore o".

Why don't you believe me? Ask Damacii, maybe he can confirm it as well. It's in the earlier lessons to ask for a request.

Or perhaps it was Shinbun o kudasai.

Yeah, I see what you mean now. Sometimes I get mimasen deshita (past tense don't) with mimasen.

Yoku is awesome. Thank you

ソーセージを上手は見ています?
Are you skilled at looking at sausage?

I think "miteimasu" is correct but I doubt it.

I forgot how to use the 'prsent progressive' tense, LOL

I think ソーセージを上手はみます? is better.

GoldCoinLover said:
ソーセージを上手は見ています?
Are you skilled at looking at sausage?
I think "miteimasu" is correct but I doubt it.
I forgot how to use the 'present progressive' tense, LOL
I think ソーセージを上手はみます? is better.

Mike was joking.

GoldCoinLover said:
MikeCash, they wrote it up. I'm 100% sure they used "kore o".
Why don't yo ubelieve me? Ask Damacii, maybe he can confirm it as well. It's in the earlier lessons to ask for a request.
Or perpahps it was Shinbum o kudasai.

Can you tell me the exact lesson and minute that they say "kore wo shinbun kudasai" because I have the videos and would love to see where they are teaching everyone bad Japanese.

GoldCoinLover said:
「サウスパークをよく見(み)ますか?」

:eek:
I don't understand this question, and I'm not sure anyone else did.
There is no mite in that sentance so how can they be using it?
mite is the te form of the verb miru. This same verb, miru, has been conjugated here into the polite non-past. This should have been one of the first things you learnt.

You ask questions that don't make any sense, or repeat the same sentence after its just been corrected like you did with 'a newspaper please' and still everyone here is trying to help you. please do not get cross at them. Not a single person has given you bad advice. However many times you have ignored it, I told you that looking at real japanese will make everything harder and then you bring up sentences from that game and the I am not a nugget story.

The lesson you should be learning here is that if you read that sentence as i'm good at looking at sausage you really need to slow down. Your sentences and translations have actually been getting worse. Stop worrying about the te form even. go back to the very basics until you can read a sentence like this with ease and make them yourself, correct every time. Half being able to do lots of things is no good if you can't do a single thing correctly. Please don't try to learn the te form or anything new until you can do this. nee?

Bucko said:
Can you tell me the exact lesson and minute that they say "kore wo shinbun kudasai" because I have the videos and would love to see where they are teaching everyone bad Japanese.

I'm not going to look through each several 50 minute lessons. However, I can tell you, it's near the very beginnning, and they say "kore o" is used as a request to ask for something.

It's probably in one of the first 5.

KrazyKat said:
:eek:
I don't understand this question, and I'm not sure anyone else did.
There is no mite in that sentance so how can they be using it?
mite is the te form of the verb miru. This same verb, miru, has been conjugated here into the polite non-past. This should have been one of the first things you learnt.
You ask questions that don't make any sense, or repeat the same sentence after its just been corrected like you did with 'a newspaper please' and still everyone here is trying to help you. please do not get cross at them. Not a single person has given you bad advice. However many times you have ignored it, I told you that looking at real japanese will make everything harder and then you bring up sentences from that game and the I am not a nugget story.
The lesson you should be learning here is that if you read that sentance as i'm good at looking at sausage you really need to slow down. Your sentences and translations have actually been getting worse. Stop worrying about the te form even. go back to the very basics until you can read a sentence like this with ease and make them yourself, correct every time. Half being able to do lots of things is no good if you can't do a single thing correctly. Please don't try to learn the te form or anything new until you can do this. nee?
I do know what it means.
"mimasu " means (to watch, or generally watch it, but not watching it now) mite would mean (watching it now), and "mimasu" would mean "to generally watch."

So yes, I Understand this, and I did. I thought it was sauage because it was very late and sometimes katakana is hard to translate.

Sometimes I get sentences mixed up.

Kono hon o yonde imasu.
Yonde is the "te" form, I am reading it now.
I am reading this book now.

I used "Kono" because the book is not understood (i didnt mention it before)

GoldCoinLover said:
I'm not going to look through each several 50 minute lessons. However, I can tell you, it's near the very beginnning, and they say "kore o" is used as a request to ask for something.
It's probably in one of the first 5.

And it's not just kore o kudasai? There's a noun in there?

GoldCoinLover said:
I do know what it means.
"mimasu " means (to watch, or generally watch it, but not watching it now) mite would mean (watching it now), and "mimasen" is non past, so I don't watch it often.

One of those is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom