What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Soul & Spirit

freely63

Kouhai
Reaction score
The "soul" and the "spirit" are similar in the manner in which they are used in the spiritual life of the believer. They are different in their reference. The "soul" is man's horizontal view with the world. The "spirit" is man's vertical view with God. It is important to understand that both refer to the immaterial part of man, but only the "spirit" refers to the man's walk with God. The "soul" refers to man's walk in the world, both material and immaterial.

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
Could you expand on this a bit further? Also give evidence of such thing as a soul and spirit. Do you believe only humans have souls? Do animals have soul and spirit? Rather than post a rather enigmatic thread, explanation and your psoition and ideas that led you to such an idea would help. Also I do not believe in any god so does that mean I have no spirit? Which god are you talking about, Yhwh, Allah, Brahma, Zeus?

Mars Man

先輩
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, freely63 san...I hope you stick around and enjoy yourself here !!

I will argue that just as you have hinted at above, freely63 san, we can ascribe the term 'soul' to the being itself--and that, to all animals and insects. As for the concept you are trying to publish for the word 'spirit' however, I find that the far greater (say 98%) bulk of the empirical evidence we have, accumulated through the test of time, says that there is no immaterial part of the animal. In this way, 'spirit' thus refers to the 'higher' ideas, the 'abstract notions' that we larger brained animals come up with or have--and these, you must surely know, are purely physical, as much so as the calcium and potassium ions, the electrons of potential that make these things.

I too wonder, where and why you have developed your ideas here...and also what you might mean by the word "God." I do hope to hear from on this.

I went ahead and moved this here, since I figured it could develop, perhaps, into a more serious discussion, rather than just chit chat. Thanks for you understanding. MM

Chi65

後輩
Reaction score
...and my (women's) flying view is circular and cyclic. . . . . .

Top Bottom