What's new

Sort of sad that nobody talks of anything but Visual...

21 Jun 2004
I thik it's somewhat sad to see that all the posts that I see lately are all about Mana, Dir, Malice and anything Visual Kei related. What about B'z, AKFG, Mr. Children and other non-makeup bound bands?

It bothers me to some extent that all the new listeners of J-Music seem only to care about the one and not the other.

Hopefully it is a phase.

What do you all think?

Ant

Hrm...I guess you have a point ^^; I guess the people here are more interested in Visual Kei currently 'cause it does have a whole lot of shocking and eye-catching aspects. I'm sure in time, they will disover the pillows, ASIAN KUNGFU GENERATION, Plastic Tree, and Shiina Ringo :)

And we should just start a discussion of bands other than vk! It's not hard to start XD

Its not that people are interested in vk, they are just interested in DeG, Laruku, and Gackt at this site, probably because this area of the forum is horribly polluted with fangirls too lazy to search for other artists.

Now, I don't want people to take my thread the wrong way, but it gets a wee bit old when all I read are the following... (keep in mind, going from memory here.. we all know how dodgy that can be... ok, the following all meld into one and turn into what you see before you. You have to understand how sickening it has become.)

1. I want to have Gackt's love child.
2. VK is the best, everything else sucks.
3. Do you like Dir en Grey?
4. Mana this Mana that...
5. Malice blah blah balh...

Hopefully, you see my point. While I poke some fun at it, I hope you see where this section of the NG is headed if the pace picks up. As an example, someone asked what bands we all liked and 90% were VK fans. I mentioned B'z and all I heard of was how old they were, how boring they were and how much they sucked, even though not one person who said they sucked hadn't heard more than three songs from them.

It is sad that now Japanese music is on par with the rest of the world's music scene and everyone flocks to the dog and pony freak show.

Oh well.

Give me Rock anyday.

Peace.

Ant

I was just about to make this same thread. This just proves my point that most new listeners are shallow - they focus only on the look and not the music itself. You almost never hear people here discuss the songs - lyrics, musicianship, guitar solos, etc. It's all fangirls (and some sexually confused fanboys) drooling over who's the best looking transvestite. 5 or 6 threads each on the same subjects and bands. They should change the title of this forum from "J-Pop" to "Visual Gay."

Well, in defence of some of us, me being a newcomer to JRock and all, it does take a while to fully get into a band sometimes and some people like to hear as much from one band as humanly possible before even attempting to listen to others, or moving on, or whatever (or at least I am) and I don't think that's a particularly bad thing, because, well, eventually, we'll find our way to some non-visual bands.

bitterpill said:
I was just about to make this same thread. This just proves my point that most new listeners are shallow - they focus only on the look and not the music itself.

It is amazing that so many poeple can't get past the whole 'If they don't look interesting, I don't wanna know' attitude. When I was younger, I used looks as a determination as to what the band was going to be like. Sadly, they all turned into big hair bands, thus, making them all hard to tell apart. So, we had a mish-mash of 80's hair bands that all looked the same and without listening to them, you could never tell which ones were full of talent and which ones were full of poop.

bitterpill said:
You almost never hear people here discuss the songs - lyrics, musicianship, guitar solos, etc.

Exactly, I think it is astounding that people never discuss the music itself, just how KAWAII some bloke looks with white makeup and blood all over his mouth. My first experience with Japanese music came from 2 things. A singer named ANRI and the rock band B'z. I had nothing to go by aside from the cover and since I couldn't read any Japanese at the time, I could care less what the CD case looked like. I heard the music, the guitars of Tak Matsumoto and the vocals of Koshi Inaba. What that did for me was spark the desire and drive to immerse myself in Japanese culture. A desire that I still hold onto today. Sadly, that effect is sorely lost on these VK kids. They want to be spoonfed flashy images while only allowing the music to take a back seat to their glam rock fantasies. I call it glam rock, because that's what it is.

bitterpill said:
It's all fangirls (and some sexually confused fanboys) drooling over who's the best looking transvestite. 5 or 6 threads each on the same subjects and bands. They should change the title of this forum from "J-Pop" to "Visual Gay."

I'm sorry, I was with you up until this point. I don't feel the need to use a sexual preference to label something I don't like. By doing something like that, you are doing nothing more than slapping an entire portion of our population that are desperately struggling for their basic human rights in the face.

Well, that is all I gotta say about that.

Horizon said:
Well, in defence of some of us, me being a newcomer to JRock and all, it does take a while to fully get into a band sometimes and some people like to hear as much from one band as humanly possible before even attempting to listen to others, or moving on, or whatever (or at least I am) and I don't think that's a particularly bad thing, because, well, eventually, we'll find our way to some non-visual bands.

Unfortunately, you fail to see that for a majority of the VK kids, VK is an obsession that seems to take them over. It is fine to enjoy a band, but the music section should be full of many ideals, not just what the VK scene is doing this minute, four minutes after the last time someone posted about 4 minutes before that.

I got into J-Pop/Rock through listening to two artists at first and branching quickly from that. Most people now, can't get past VK.

I don't hold anyone's taste against them, but I don't want to skip this section on the forum due to lack of other music being talked about, either.

Ant

antantrevolution said:
I'm sorry, I was with you up until this point. I don't feel the need to use a sexual preference to label something I don't like. By doing something like that, you are doing nothing more than slapping an entire portion of our population that are desperately struggling for their basic human rights in the face.

I apologize for nothing. I call them as I see them. I have violated nobody's "human rights." Insulted a bunch of people perhaps, but nothing more. Cry me a freaking river. And I'll continue to slap them in the face with an iron fist. Like my sn states - I'm the bitter dose of medicine in this forum.

Now, all you fangirls, say "ah."

bitterpill said:
I apologize for nothing. I call them as I see them. I have violated nobody's "human rights." Insulted a bunch of people perhaps, but nothing more. Cry me a freaking river. And I'll continue to slap them in the face with an iron fist. Like my sn states - I'm the bitter dose of medicine in this forum.

Now, all you fangirls, say "ah."

Well then, if ignorance is bliss.. perhaps you have reached Nirvana.

Feh.

Ant

antantrevolution said:
It is amazing that so many poeple can't get past the whole 'If they don't look interesting, I don't wanna know' attitude. When I was younger, I used looks as a determination as to what the band was going to be like. Sadly, they all turned into big hair bands, thus, making them all hard to tell apart. So, we had a mish-mash of 80's hair bands that all looked the same and without listening to them, you could never tell which ones were full of talent and which ones were full of poop.

Exactly, I think it is astounding that people never discuss the music itself, just how KAWAII some bloke looks with white makeup and blood all over his mouth. My first experience with Japanese music came from 2 things. A singer named ANRI and the rock band B'z. I had nothing to go by aside from the cover and since I couldn't read any Japanese at the time, I could care less what the CD case looked like. I heard the music, the guitars of Tak Matsumoto and the vocals of Koshi Inaba. What that did for me was spark the desire and drive to immerse myself in Japanese culture. A desire that I still hold onto today. Sadly, that effect is sorely lost on these VK kids. They want to be spoonfed flashy images while only allowing the music to take a back seat to their glam rock fantasies. I call it glam rock, because that's what it is.

Well, that is all I gotta say about that.

Unfortunately, you fail to see that for a majority of the VK kids, VK is an obsession that seems to take them over. It is fine to enjoy a band, but the music section should be full of many ideals, not just what the VK scene is doing this minute, four minutes after the last time someone posted about 4 minutes before that.

I got into J-Pop/Rock through listening to two artists at first and branching quickly from that. Most people now, can't get past VK.

I don't hold anyone's taste against them, but I don't want to skip this section on the forum due to lack of other music being talked about, either.

Ant

Ahhhh...I see. I get what you're saying. It is pretty annoying and whatnot that they don't move past VK and never stop talking about it, especially since I've heard Plastic Tree and Asian Kung-fu Generation's music and as far as I can tell, they're simply amazing. Even without all the visual crap.

Plus, I agree with you on that "Visual Gay" comment. People like that have it hard enough as it is, we really don't have to go and make it worse for them.

antantrevolution said:

I totally agree, I think there are too many threads on same topics/performers e.g. Gackt, dir en grey etc...E.g. the Gackt-threads in this section lately...Which instead can be melted into one thread no?
HAHA.... :D

:D :D

I guess we all have to accept it, as there are many fans of those performers....

Heck, I remember when I was a teenager and was madly in love with a boy-band.....(NOT naming which, but it was a band which was very popular in europe---too embarrassing) 😊
🎈

antantrevolution said:
Now, I don't want people to take my thread the wrong way, but it gets a wee bit old when all I read are the following... (keep in mind, going from memory here.. we all know how dodgy that can be... ok, the following all meld into one and turn into what you see before you. You have to understand how sickening it has become.)

Hopefully, you see my point. While I poke some fun at it, I hope you see where this section of the NG is headed if the pace picks up. As an example, someone asked what bands we all liked and 90% were VK fans. I mentioned B'z and all I heard of was how old they were, how boring they were and how much they sucked, even though not one person who said they sucked hadn't heard more than three songs from them.

It is sad that now Japanese music is on par with the rest of the world's music scene and everyone flocks to the dog and pony freak show.

Oh well.

Give me Rock anyday.

Peace.

Ant
who said they want to have gackt's kid??? :? he's very desirble but thats kinda sad(no offence)...well fangirls are fangirl, cant do nothin about it. also i havent seen any mana threads in a long time...(y? mana is great...)

dorkist said:
Hrm...I guess you have a point ^^; I guess the people here are more interested in Visual Kei currently 'cause it does have a whole lot of shocking and eye-catching aspects. I'm sure in time, they will disover the pillows, ASIAN KUNGFU GENERATION, Plastic Tree, and Shiina Ringo :)

And we should just start a discussion of bands other than vk! It's not hard to start XD

All very good musicians!! I have trouble though bucause even after all my years in jrock I know very little about many of the bands I listen to... :( It upsets me to think of it like that...

I mean I have listened to artists from Blondie Plastic Wagon to Zone and I know very little other then what songs I like by them! It would be nice to see forums about groups like this so maybe I can learn more! So If you wanna see more start more! 👍

I kno, I kno Winter! We are fan girl's deal with it! It becomes hard at times to avoid the forums talking about your favourite bands! then you start your own and that is how the all turn loose!

Ehhh. Make a B'z thread and I'll talk about them. I don't really have anything to say until they release something new ^________^

I loooooooooooove B'z. I looooooove B'z more than I loooooooove Dir en grey, even though I looooooooove Dir en grey. I loooooooove B'z more than I looooooooove PLC, even though I really do looooooooove PLC quite a lot. B'z are great. B'z are... funtastic. Anyway, yeah. Not much to say, eh? We're stuck with a bunch of VK fangirls, so that's what you're going to see here.

On another note, Mr. Children cracks me up for no reason whatsoever. Or maybe it was the Kurumi PV. The music is nice, but I just can't help but laugh whenever I hear them now ._.

antantrevolution said:
Well then, if ignorance is bliss.. perhaps you have reached Nirvana.

Feh.

Ant

Ah, get off your high horse, you arrogant excrement. Maybe you're a cross dressing fudge packer yourself.

bitterpill said:
Ah, get off your high horse, you arrogant excrement. Maybe you're a cross dressing fudge packer yourself.

No, quite the opposite. I just don't care to hear the minute senseless ramblings of the feeble minded such as yourself.

Maybe there's some sort of Klan meeting you can attend instead of wasting our time here. Or do you have to go to Borders to pick up that copy of Mein Kamph you ordered?

Piss off.

Ant

P.S.

Just so you know, you ignorant pr!ck, a cross dresser isn't always homosexual. You see, there's Drag Queens, whom are gay and then there's transvestites, whom are straight, love women and enjoy dressing up in women's clothing. I am neither, but I at least know the difference. But hey, at least you spelled arrogant correctly.. yay you.

antantrevolution said:
No, quite the opposite. I just don't care to hear the minute senseless ramblings of the feeble minded such as yourself.

Maybe there's some sort of Klan meeting you can attend instead of wasting our time here. Or do you have to go to Borders to pick up that copy of Mein Kamph you ordered?

Piss off.

Ant

P.S.

Just so you know, you ignorant pr!ck, a cross dresser isn't always homosexual. You see, there's Drag Queens, whom are gay and then there's transvestites, whom are straight, love women and enjoy dressing up in women's clothing. I am neither, but I at least know the difference. But hey, at least you spelled arrogant correctly.. yay you.

A transvestite, regardless of what gender they were and which they are currently, can like either women, men, or both. Just so you know...I think...

Transvestites crossdress. Transsexuals are more along the lines of transgender, the difference is a transsexual becomes a transgender after the operation.

I'm really amused at how this thread about non-VK J-music quickly became a thread about people's sexual preferences and the difference between transvestite/transgendered...

Speaking personally, I'm into all sorts of J-music... but the volume of these VK-related threads really hasn't bothered me. Usually I can tell which threads are worth checking into up front. It's not like the threads have been titled "Japanese music", and then when I enter the thread I see nothing but stuff about how hot Kyo or Hyde is... so I've been able to avoid these threads for the most part.

But yeah, less people post here about other non-VK artists... I just don't post as much as I used to, and I almost always post about non-visual topics. So I guess those of us who are here should be dropping more knowledge when we can, and not spending too much time telling people:

"HEY! Stop posting about stuff you're interested in! I'm not interested in THAT!"

Let's just get more threads like this one going, talking about music we like...

👍

im learning more stuff...lol and my mom says that the internet is crap. haha silly her cuz im learning! ^^

Back
Top Bottom