What's new

"Sorry, what was that?"

21 Jun 2017
For varying reasons, it's not uncommon for me to miss something that someone said. Not just in Japanese, English too. I'm sure that applies to lots of people. So I've been wondering what I should say in these instances to avoid prompting whoever I'm speaking to to either rephrase what they're saying in a roundabout way or switch to English.

In English, I tend to resort to, "Sorry, what was that?" For Japanese, I'm aware of 「もう一度言ってください。」 (It's listed fairly early on in GENKI I.) Is that what I need to resort to, or is there something shorter that I could use? (I'd like to know for both polite and short form speak.)

For casual speak, like with my spouse I might say

なに? (what?)
何と言った? (what did you say?)
なにを言ってんの? (w.t.f. are you saying?)
何なの?! (what?!)

Others
ごめん、聞こえなかった (sorry, I couldn't hear)
ごめん、聞き取れなかった (sorry, I didn't get that)
ごめんなさい、電話が遠くなってさきわかりませんでした。(sorry, the connection was poor and I didn't understand what you just said).
もう一度ください + quizzical look (please repeat)

Of course add です or ~ます to most of those to make them more polite.

For varying reasons, it's not uncommon for me to miss something that someone said. Not just in Japanese, English too. I'm sure that applies to lots of people. So I've been wondering what I should say in these instances to avoid prompting whoever I'm speaking to to either rephrase what they're saying in a roundabout way or switch to English.

In English, I tend to resort to, "Sorry, what was that?" For Japanese, I'm aware of 「もう一度言ってください。」 (It's listed fairly early on in GENKI I.) Is that what I need to resort to, or is there something shorter that I could use? (I'd like to know for both polite and short form speak.)
The most common way in a polite conversation would be はい? in the rising intonation, but if you say it in a wrong way, it could mean "Yes" or even "What do you mean?" in a defiant nuance (this applies to mdchachi-san's examples, too). So, すいません、もう一度言っていただけませんか would be the best to avoid being misinterpreted.
In a casual conversation, I would say ごめん、もう一回言って.

Thanks for the answers. So it sounds like I have to stick to the wordy version for now, but there are some other possibilities when I get a handle on them.

The most common way in a polite conversation would be はい? in the rising intonation, but if you say it in a wrong way, it could mean "Yes" or even "What do you mean?" in a defiant nuance (this applies to mdchachi-san's examples, too).
Is there any chance you could direct me to a video or two showing what this sounds like? Just as a starting point.

It must be said in some CM or dramas, of course, but I can't find it now. Sorry. Maybe I can search it in Youtube or somewhere when I have time.

Back
Top Bottom